Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130556 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2008, 06:17:36 pm »
"8 Foods You Should Eat Every Day"

...with an explanation of what each has that's so good. Interesting.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100169914&imageindex=1

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 12:54:02 pm »
Well, since February I have lost somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds, if my bathroom scales reading is correct. The scales at the spa indicate a loss as well.
Here was the impetus:   in late Feb. I had a nasty and frightening attack of squeezing chest pains, shortness of breath, and sweating.  I went by ambulance to the ER and was later diagnosed as having a lot of gallstones. The biliary colic attack symptoms can mimic heart attack symptoms--please bear this in mind if you ever find yourself in a similar situation.   My heart checked out just fine in all the tests that were done on it.
To continue:   My doc wants my weight and cholesterol to be lowered, so I have been working on that.  I walk two miles every evening, work out about once a week, climb stairs and hills at work (it is a hilly campus), and try to stay away from fatty and greasy things.   It appears to be working.
The gallbladder may have to come out eventually but I am keeping it at bay for now. 
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
!
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 10:06:54 pm »
Kudos to you for improving your health! This should be a summer that you enjoy more than previous years!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2008, 06:12:59 am »
well done you Shortfiction!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2008, 10:21:24 am »
I have a foolproof diet,  anyone who likes can come and borrow my oldest son for a couple of weeks.The weight will literally fall off you due to the stress.Unfortunately the down side is you may end up in a straight jacket, but at least it wil be an XXXS one !!!!!

I also remember one of the more wacky diets I read about,The naked salad posts jogged my memory.

You were meant to eat all your meals naked, in front of a mirror. I did say it was wacky. Apparantly the sight of the naked flesh you want to lose staring at you in all its glory, will curb your appetite.!!!!!

Don't know about the diet Paul McKenna thing, but my husband gave up smoking using his tapes.So who knows.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2008, 10:33:28 am »
Well, since February I have lost somewhere between 8 and 10 pounds, if my bathroom scales reading is correct. The scales at the spa indicate a loss as well.

Congrats on your weight loss!

If you want to see if your scale is reading correctly, here's what you can do.  I did this at the gym where I am a member.

They have a medical scale in the downstairs part of the gym.  I took a 5 pound weight, and placed it on the scale.  The scale read 6.5 pounds so I knew it was a pound and a half off.  I then stepped on the scale, and subtracted a pound and half from the weight.

then, as soon as I got home, I stepped on my scale there.  It read my weigth correctly, it matched the figure at the gym once I had subtracted that pound and half, so I knew my scale at home was accurate.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2008, 02:07:37 pm »
Thanks for the idea....I had not thought of that.  I can take a weight with me to the workout center at my workplace too.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2008, 03:12:27 pm »
"8 Foods You Should Eat Every Day"

...with an explanation of what each has that's so good. Interesting.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100169914&imageindex=1

I agree with some of this list, but OMG are they serious in some of their "fit it in" suggestions?!?:

FIT IT IN: Pile on the ketchup and Ragu

Ketchup and sauces like Ragu are swimming in high fructose corn syrup.  Exactly the wrong thing you want to add to your diet!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2008, 12:25:16 pm »
Time to revive this thread! My fall resolution is to walk/run 20 miles a week. My son does 300 a week on his bike, so I think I can manage 20!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

Good luck with that Lee.

Beautiful mind