Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2564153 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"D" is Dead of Night (1945)
« Reply #5950 on: February 02, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »

IMDb trivia:  US distributors thought that the original cut of the film was too long. The golfing sequence and the Christmas ghost tale were both cut.

=aside=
I agree, Gil.  Capote's "A Christmas Memory" is one of my favorites.  And Geraldine Page is brilliant.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"E" is Elling (2001)
« Reply #5951 on: February 19, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »
Review from kamera.co.uk:

It's not often you get the chance to see a Norwegian film at the cinema, let alone a Norwegian comedy. But this little film has snowballed from winning the Best New Director Award and Youth Jury Award at the 2001 San Sebastian Film Festival, all the way to an Academy Award Nomination for Best Foreign Film and a theatrical release in Britain. The rights to the film have also been bought up by Kevin Spacey's Trigger Street Productions in order to produce an American re-make. The fuss Elling has generated is certainly deserved.

Elling (Per Christian Ellefsen) is a middle-aged man with psychological problems who has always lived with his mother, to whom he is totally devoted. After she dies he is discovered by the police and taken to a psychiatric home where he finds himself sharing a room with the Obelix-esque Kjell Bjarne (Sven Nordin), whom he nicknames 'The Orangutan'. After a couple of years they are given their own flat in Oslo, under the supervision of social worker Frank Åsli (Jørgen Langhelle), to try and re-assimilate themselves back into society. Elling, although very intelligent, is constantly stalked by his 'two enemies, Paranoia and Anxiety' and initially finds it hard to walk to the local shop or even answer the phone. Kjell Barne complements his flatmate's brains with his brawn and huge heart, and proves able to blunder through life reasonably effectively if pointed in the right direction. Kjell's main problem, however, is that he needs a woman and needs one fast, but has no idea where to find them or what to say to them. He and Elling discover the joy of phone sex-lines, but only until Frank presents them with the astronomic phone bill. However, his fortune changes when the drunken and pregnant Reidun (Marit Pia Jacobson) from the flat above collapses in the stairwell and needs Kjell to carry her to her flat. Elling, meanwhile, attempts to combat his personal demons by finding a hobby, and discovers a gift for poetry. Disgusted by a local contemporary poetry reading he attends, he decides to go underground by leaving his poems in boxes of sauerkraut in his local supermarket – and thus becomes 'E' the 'Sauerkraut Poet'. Faced with the constant fear of Frank sending them back to the psychiatric home, Elling and Kjell help each other through their problems and come up with wonderfully eccentric solutions.

Elling is a genuinely moving and uplifting film. Fortunately the humour is never uncomfortable or derived from laughing at 'the stupid handicapped people'. The simple honesty and kindness of their characters comes from their personality rather than their mental disabilities: indeed, there is never any medical diagnosis given to 'explain' their problems. As the director Petter Næss explains, 'their problem is that they have no social experience, that nobody has ever really given them any opportunities'. Elling and Kjell's problems are universally human, merely exaggerated versions of problems and anxieties which we all face. The acting is wonderful throughout, no doubt helped by the fact that most of the cast was taken from the successful stage version, also directed by Petter Næss. (Whenever Kjell head butts a wall or table out of frustration, you're pretty convinced that he really did it). It is certainly the relationship between the two flatmates that makes this film so beautiful to watch. The moment where they exchange Christmas presents during their first Christmas together in the flat is one of the most simple and subtly moving scenes I have seen for a long time. In many ways this is a film about all the best aspects of humanity and the human spirit. Elling is guaranteed to leave you feeling happy, spiritually cleansed, and with a strange yearning to go to Norway.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
Re: ABCs at the Movies: The December Hollydaze Round!
« Reply #5952 on: February 19, 2010, 06:34:23 pm »
I don't know what this thread is about, but Elling is a WONDERFUL movie!!!!

Deeply humanistic, funny, moving, it is about tolerance and including the unfortunate and different people in this world.

Highly recommended!!!

ETA: I see you posted a review of it too. That's great.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5953 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »
Sason - we are posting movies in alphabetical order with the theme of Christmas holidays at present.  You need to find a movie with even an obscure holiday reference that begins with an "F" to play next.  The movie should not have been played yet.

The list of movies played is here http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13784.0.html

We're technically supposed to let two people play between our turns, but there have been a dearth of players lately, so I thought I'd try to get it going again.

And you can use the search function to make sure your movie hasn't been played yet.

Regarding Elling, I thought it sounded wonderful too, and I made a note to add it to the never-ending Netflix queue.   :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sason

• Bork bork bork
« Reply #5954 on: February 19, 2010, 06:50:43 pm »
Thanks for explaining Lynne!

Don't think I have the time right now to play along, I just happened to see the name Elling and had to put my two cents in!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5955 on: February 19, 2010, 06:53:01 pm »
Thanks for explaining Lynne!

Don't think I have the time right now to play along, I just happened to see the name Elling and had to put my two cents in!!

Well, definitely swing by and play when you get a chance.  I make shameless use of IMDb to find movies to play...both here and in the six degrees game.   :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:04:16 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5956 on: April 27, 2010, 12:13:48 am »
*bump*

Reckon we can finish this by Christmas 2010??  ::) :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5957 on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:00 am »
We're still on 'F'?

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"F" is Fred Claus (2007)
« Reply #5958 on: April 27, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

From IMDb:  During childhood, Fred Claus suffered his younger brother Nick's saintliness. Jump ahead:  Fred is a fast-talking, genial but self-centered guy in Chicago looking for $50,000 to open an off-track-betting shop. When one scam goes awry, he calls Nick at the North Pole for a loan: Nick will give him the money only if Fred comes up to help a few days with the Christmas rush. After his girlfriend dumps him, Fred heads north. Santa's facing an audit from an efficiency expert, and it's not pleasant. Fred's job is to review charts and determine who's naughty and who's nice. Is there any fraternal feeling left, can either learn from the other, and what about Santa getting fired?

Reckon we can finish this by Christmas 2010??  ::) :D

Doubtful...but I'm a pessimist by nature.   ;)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:54:19 pm by Fran »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"G" is Gremlins (1984)
« Reply #5959 on: August 12, 2010, 10:00:03 am »

GREMLINS (1984) D: Joe Dante
Christmas Tree is one of the Keywords, lol!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:23:55 am by Fran »