Author Topic: What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 9354 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:48:08 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is my first obsession...really!! What was yours??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What did you love before Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:57:06 am »
I loved, absolutely loved, the Showtime series Dead Like Me, which only ran for two seasons.  It was a clever show about death -- with grim reapers living among the living -- and very funny, too. 

I found a couple of Dead Like Me message boards online, where I would lurk, because I couldn't get enough of the show.  It remains my favorite cable series because, unlike The Sopranos (my second favorite), every show was great.  I still can't believe it wasn't renewed for a third season, but at least Seasons 1 and 2 are out on DVD.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXQDU7DP-A[/youtube]

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:47:50 am »
I picked Star Trek because I was a huge fan of The Next Generation, but I've never had an obsession like Brokeback Mountain.  I've had hobbies - soccer, skiing, concerts, but nothing has ever grabbed me and turned my life upside down before this.  Hell, I didn't even know there were such things as fandom and slash before joining the internet community here!  ::)  Musta been living under a rock!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Dagi

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 06:19:46 am »
I was quite obsessed with Maurice, watched it over and over again, read the novel about 17 times, absorbing every word, until I almost knew it by heart...and yet it was nothing compared to what came after that... ::)

Dagi

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:50:19 am »
I absolute loved (and still love) the Lord of the Rings movies, books, and actors.  I think they among the best movies ever made.  The detail involved in everything from what the actors wore to the floors, walls and ceilings of the different buildings and locations they used over the 18 months or so it took to make these movies never ceases to amaze me.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 11:06:53 pm »
I too loved the Lord of the Rings movies and books, but I love the Harry Potter films and books too.

My last big obsession though was HBO's Six Feet Under  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 11:17:30 pm »

I loved movies all my life..My first memory of anything other than family was going to the
movie.  My mother would take me with her when I was probably only two or three.  I remember, the sparkle of the silver screen..The sequins making sparks and the beautiful wardrobes of the
elegant women..I fell in love ...with movies..All thru my teen years, we lived way out in the country, and five miles from the nearest friend..I only got to go and see them when I started to drive..Fortunately my parents trusted me to drive before I got a license.
             But I digress.  That is a time I spent watching our new television..hour upon hour...and guess what was on there...?Old movies.  American and English...I was in love again...I cant say whic h one was my favorite for sure, but i guess It was probably Gone with the Wind.  And Streetcar Named Desire, and East of Eden...But none of them gave me the obsession that I got.  Oh these many years later from Brokeback Mountain...

Having said all of that..I did have a true OBSESSION with pool....I spent 8 to 12 hrs
a day practicing and playing...but alas that time is over...

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:26:40 pm »
Gone With The Wind is definately one of my favorites too, Janice.

I also love Titanic:D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 11:36:37 pm »
I too loved the Lord of the Rings movies and books, but I love the Harry Potter films and books too.

My last big obsession though was HBO's Six Feet Under  ;D

I love Six Feet Under Dottie. I thought they did an excellent job portraying the gay community in a very positive way. David and Keith were two of my favorite characters. I also loved Claire. I keep hoping I'll see Lauren Ambrose acting again someday. She is an excellent actress. Nate (Peter Krause) was a total hunk.  And Federico (Freddy Rodriguez) was so damn cute!!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:54:16 pm »

Previous obsessions include:

Moulin Rouge 

Yee-haw.  Me too!   :D