Author Topic: Gay Marriage  (Read 16162 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Gay Marriage
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 01:09:42 pm »

The cards obviously need to have a designation...spouse..or dependant   .good enough........no gay no wife. nada...

The medical card say dependant and the prescription card just drops the name right off. When I renew the insurance each year they put me under "married" for medical and use domestic partner vision and dental. Its just a matter of getting a uniform designation. I am just thankful they are progressive enuff to offer the coverage. I also noticed when checking into the local hospital they now give the option to designate who will manage your care just "in case" and it does not have to be a relative. More progress!

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 01:15:50 pm »
Is spouse theword? How many words can be used?

Maybe we can use another word: like partner??

Hugs!

The optimal word I guess depends where ya live. When we got married in Canada we were both Grooms and Spouses, Starting on the drive back its the same in New York because the marriage is not invalidated by law. In New Jersey its Civil Union but I dont know how its is referred.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 05:10:15 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

Excuse me for being puzzled!

May I ask: you were married in Canada legally, but you were both grooms and spouses?? Really?

Was that you choices?? Or is that the law in Canada that you are BOTH grooms and spouses??

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 05:31:23 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

Excuse me for being puzzled!

May I ask: you were married in Canada legally, but you were both grooms and spouses?? Really?

Was that you choices?? Or is that the law in Canada that you are BOTH grooms and spouses??

Hugs!
Aritste, The applcation for marriage says we are "Applicants" not Bride and Groom

The "Request for Marriage Certificate" Form 11078 which can be found after drilling down at www.gov.on.ca asks for the information of (Grooms/Brides) in all Boxes so it is grammatically correct.

So ta answer yer question, Yes we were both Grooms and now we are spouses as termed by Ontario Law.

TampaTalon^">

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 05:37:09 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

Boy, oh boy!! I am more puzzled!!

Instead of spouses and grooms, why don't they have the word: partners?? As a choice??

You think that too??

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 06:19:39 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

Boy, oh boy!! I am more puzzled!!

Instead of spouses and grooms, why don't they have the word: partners?? As a choice??

You think that too??
Artiste! I am so glad you asked this question. Same-sex marriage in Canada is EQUAL to opposite-sex marriage in all manner. IMO opinion by using a different partner term would lessen this equality, therefore we are both grooms. I am very proud that were grooms. We did have bestman and a groomsmaid instead of a bridesmaid. I consider my self married with my rights denied here in Florida.

That you so much Artiste, you are forwarding the cause by asking such good questions!

TampaTalon^">
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:31:54 pm by tampatalon »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 07:15:31 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

I understand that now and thank you very much!

Do you think that such forms could be changed in Ontario as well as in some state like yours??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 10:18:55 am »
Thanks tampatalon!

I understand that now and thank you very much!

Do you think that such forms could be changed in Ontario as well as in some state like yours??

Hugs!

Artiste, your confusion is natural. Most US citizens including the people most affected by the issue do not really understand the present transitional state in the US over the issue of same sex marriage. Because of the US Federal system, some states and localities have moved far in the direction of granting equal status to same sex couples, some have made some progress, other localities (the vast majority) have made no movement at all in that direction. So,right now it is still a crazy quilt of different laws and administrative procedures in different states and localities.

Historically, this has been the process in all great social and civil rights movements in US history. Example, some states granted women the right to vote decades before it was made constitutionally legal by Federal action. Another example, some states forbade discrimination against Blacks a over century before non-discrimination was mandated by Federal law, meanwhile othe states had vicious laws restricting the activity and rights of Blacks.

My suspicion is Same Sex marriage will follow a similar path, certainly not taking a century to fully implement, but it will take time for a general consensus to emerge nation-wide and for the laws to become uniform across the US.

I want to thank "Tampatalon" for sharing his life with us. He is on the front lines, testing the laws letting us know how employers and governmental agencies are handling the issue right now. I can see similar scenarios developing for same sex couples all over the country as this decade unfolds.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2007, 07:35:55 pm »
Thanks brokeplex! Thanks tampatalon! Thanks to others too!!!

I sure wish that those thoughts and laws came sooner!

I want to know more about gay mariage... any more facts about it?

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 02:07:50 am »
Thanks brokeplex! Thanks tampatalon! Thanks to others too!!!

I sure wish that those thoughts and laws came sooner!

I want to know more about gay mariage... any more facts about it?

Hugs!

Artiste, For what ever reason, statistics from Canada and Massachusett show that the gals are out pacing the
dudes having more or less 65% Bride-Bride Ceremonies compared to the 35% for Goom-Groom Ceremonies. Does this
suggest that the guys are afraid of commitment?I wonder if we compared this to strait males unmarried.
I certainly hope it would not compare to anything because would this suggest that 65 % of males are afraid of
commitment in general, strait and gay or dose this indicate they cannot find that special partner. Maybe someone can give us a clue on this non-commitment issue/or cannot find the right partner?

TampaTalon^">