Author Topic: Have you seen "Rendition"? (Spoilers)  (Read 11352 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Have you seen "Rendition"? (Spoilers)
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:54:30 pm »
I just saw "Rendition" tonight and I'm interested in your opinion.

I'm a wimp when it comes to on-screen violence, and the torture stuff was hard to take.  I'd rather see it reflected in Jake's eyes.

It's an important and relevant topic.  I like how the different characters' humanity showed through. 

Such a nightmare:  to be falsely accused, and to suffer for this. 

Jake was fine; I loved his big, shiny hair.  Unfortunately, like "Zodiac", he doesn't get to do much. 

Any thoughts?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Have you seen "Rendition"???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:00:08 am »

I'm a wimp when it comes to on-screen violence, and the torture stuff was hard to take.  I'd rather see it reflecged in Jake's eyes.

It's an important and relevant topic.  I like how the different characters' humanity showed through. 

Jake was fine; I loved his big, shiny hair.  Unfortunately, like "Zodiac", he doesn't get to do much. 

Any thoughts?

Ack!  At least put the word "Spoiler" in your subject line!  Rendition got spoiled for me today at work and I was pretty pissed off about it.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Have you seen "Rendition"? (Spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:09:00 am »
Sorry, Del, didn't think I was spoiling anything that wasn't already discussed in the many Jake interviews.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:17:33 am »
If someone doesn't want to know about "Rendition" -- why read a post that talks about "Rendition"?  :P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:26:46 am »
If someone doesn't want to know about "Rendition" -- why read a post that talks about "Rendition"?  :P

The subject line at the time was 'Have you seen Rendition?'

The person posting might not have seen it yet and was wondering if anyone else had.  So I took a peek.  Someone else unspoiled might have done the same.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 12:31:40 am »

I'm a wimp when it comes to on-screen violence, and the torture stuff was hard to take.  I'd rather see it reflected in Jake's eyes.

Any thoughts?

I haven't seen it, but Daphne is supposed to go tonite and then give me a review and tell me when to cover my eyes. I don't like to see torture stuff either, so I'm not sure -- I do want to see it because Jake is in it. Anyway, she is supposed to warn me so I'll be ready, just in case I do get to go.

Were Jake and Reese in any scenes together?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:45 am »
Paul, did you like it more than Zodiac?

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 01:41:41 am »
I haven't seen it, but Daphne is supposed to go tonite and then give me a review and tell me when to cover my eyes. I don't like to see torture stuff either, so I'm not sure -- I do want to see it because Jake is in it. Anyway, she is supposed to warn me so I'll be ready, just in case I do get to go.

Were Jake and Reese in any scenes together?

No Jake and Reese were not in any scenes together.  Reese's character stayed stateside and Jake's character was in another country where the renditon took place.  Both actors were very good in this movie and Reese was excellent IMO.   Actually all the actors and actresses were amazing in this film.

Rendition has two story lines going.  I didnt understand all of it.

I wanted to see this film because Jake was in it.  His portrayal as a CIA witness to renditions certainly was an excellent performance.  Not Oscar worthy though IMO.  Dont get me wrong, I love Jake and I hope to be proved wrong and he at least gets nominated for an oscar, but I dont think so.

Like I told a friend earlier, it was a very dark movie.  The torture was grueling.. For me hearing screams and not seeing what they were doing to the suspect was worse than the scenes when you actually see him being electrocuted and other torture..

Jake's character was very interesting.   His way of dealing with his job was to stay high or drunk when he wasn't being witness to the renditon.  Meryl Streep played the perfect bitch (oh she's aging so well) and Peter Saarsgaurd played a good good guy. 

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 06:07:18 pm »
I just came from seeing RENDITION.  I don't see why it's ranked so low on ROTTETOMATOES.com.  It sorta reminded me of Syriana, but I'm still confused about Syriana as there were so many storylines.   I thought RENDITION was more straightforward with what was going on.  There is a twist towards the end of the film.  It confused me at first as it was just so ironic. PPl who have seen the film will know what I mean.

I would say Jake's performance his more comparable with ZODIAC then any other film I've seen him in. He's looking older.  Maybe it goes with the part.   All in all, the cast was quite good.

It's ashame this film is doing so lousy at the box office as it's an important film. 

I guess this will be the last Jake film for awhile as his filmography on IMDB.com says nothing for 2008 with two films slated for 2009.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 08:45:28 pm »
I would say Jake's performance his more comparable with ZODIAC then any other film I've seen him in. He's looking older.  Maybe it goes with the part.   All in all, the cast was quite good.

It's ashame this film is doing so lousy at the box office as it's an important film. 

I agree this is an important film, and more people should come out to see it.    Jake isn't gonna be in a blockbuster every movie he makes.

He is older in this movie.  I mean he's young only 26, but he plays a mature role.  I was surprised when his character grabs the guys neck.  That I was not expecting. 

I think he just wanted the torture to end, so he didnt have to be there anymore.  He got drunk a lot