Author Topic: You're Favorite Horror Films  (Read 14942 times)

Scott6373

You're Favorite Horror Films
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:01:10 pm »
In the spirit of the day...cast your vote

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: You're Favorite Horror Films
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:07:19 pm »
I really don't like all those slash and blood and gore type horror movies. But I do like ghost stories and vampire movies. I also love the old black and white horror movies frrom the 1930's, 40's and 50's. Some of them are pretty crazy, but they are almost always good. Did you ever see the one where the mad scientist kept a woman's head alive in a pan? I forget the name of it. I think it was called The Brain or something like that. I also love the old black and white Dracula movies, and the Mummy movies too! The Werewolf movies were pretty cool as well!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:24 pm »
I picked:

Dawn Of The Dead, The Birds, Halloween, and "other" for two that are not on the list!

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) and "the Changeling"

David, if you like haunted house type movies, you HAVE  to see this one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:42:00 am »
I love Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, The Haunting 1963, The Changling, Ghost Story 1981, The Innocents 1961, The Birds, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Sting's Frankenstein  and The Others .

Saw the Exorcist once in 1973 in the theater and do not want to ever see it again.  I don't even want it playing in the same house as me.  Seriously creeps me out.  But I adore the 1930's Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and all those old Hammer flicks and the old Vincent Price stuff lile House of Usher, The Telltale Heart  and The Tomb of Ligia.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:44 am »
I loved "Aliens".  Thought it was a terrific flic.  "The Exorcist" scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it, and still makes me a little freaky today.  Couple of my other favs were TV miniseries, and yes, both Stephen King:  "Storm of the Century" & "The Stand".

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:20:13 am »
I voted for The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Shaun of the Dead (really more of a horror comedy than a horror movie per se), Nosferatu, eine Symphone des Grauens, and, in selecting Other(s), mean to represent Dario Argento's stylish and atmospheric 1977 Suspiria, starring Jessica Harper (one of my favorite actresses).

The Shining remains an underrated classic by Stanley Kubrick, which, while not the scariest movie imaginable, is certainly eerie and an undoubted example of an intelligent work of art within the genre. Rosemary's Baby shares this keen intelligence with a dash of quirky black humor, making an unsettling and memorable film. Shaun of the Dead (again, more of a comedy to my mind than a straight-out horror film) is delightful and compulsively watchable--Simon Pegg in the titular role, along with Nick Frost, are both absolutely charming. F.W. Murnau's silent masterpiece Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens is still probably the single greatest vampire movie ever made. And Suspiria, with its splendid Neo-Art Deco sets enhanced by the director's striking late use of Technicolor, combine with a marvellous prog-rock score by Goblin to create a vivid and unforgettable movie experience.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:59:01 pm »
I picked:

Dawn Of The Dead, The Birds, Halloween, and "other" for two that are not on the list!

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) and "the Changeling"

David, if you like haunted house type movies, you HAVE  to see this one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

I don't think I've seen that movie before, Chuck. But I love George C. Scott, so I'll be looking for it! Thanks!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:22:44 pm »
I voted for the Haunting.  One of my all time favorite films.  With an interesting lesbian subtext even.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
Poltergeist definitely!

:D

Scared the shit out of me when I first saw it!

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 05:01:45 pm »
I wouldn't put it up there with my favorites, but I'd like to recommend the 1960 House of Usher, produced and directed by Roger Corman and starring Vincent Price, which I saw yesterday on Turner Classic Movies. This is an intelligent, atmospheric production which strikingly respects the sense of tragedy and irreversible doom of Edgar Allan Poe's vision. Vincent Price does what he does best, investing Roderick Usher with the air of a morbidly refined gentleman with more than a touch of madness to him, with just a hint of ham to his performance that never goes over the top. The film is distinguished by handsome art direction (replete with some striking if anachronistically expressionistic paintings), and all is shot in vivid color CinemaScope. A worthwhile entry in the horror canon.