Author Topic: How Do You Feel About Circumcision?  (Read 42272 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
How Do You Feel About Circumcision?
« on: October 25, 2007, 04:58:47 pm »
To my knowledge, this issue has never been discussed here at Bettermost. I would like to throw it out there and see what happens, and I will come back and weigh in with my thoughts.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: How Do You Feel About Circumcision?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:01:26 pm »
dont' matter to me, cut or uncut.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:10:32 pm »
It depends on the context. I am opposed to circumcision being performed on the helpless and uninformed, for any reason, whether it be "hygienic" or religious. The cruel truth of the matter is that most circumcisions are medically unnecessary, and represent an attack on sexuality and pleasure (however subliminal this motive may be).

On the other hand, some circumcisions do serve to enhance an individual's life. King Louis XVI of France suffered from a condition in which his foreskin would not contract when he became erect, making erections painful and impossible to sustain. As a result, his marriage to Marie Antoinette remained unconsummated for some eight years, until his physicians removed the foreskin, enabling the King to father the royal children that the state demanded from him. This would be one (relatively rare) example where circumcision can be medically justified.

For the record, I myself am circumcized. My mother agreed to the procedure very soon after I was born because my father had been circumcized, and she didn't want there to be a physical discrepancy between father and son (a frankly stupid, if frequently invoked reason for pursuing the procedure). And circumcision does not detract from a man's attractiveness in my eyes--but I can speak from experience that homosex is a lot more fun and sensual when at least one foreskin is present!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:14:50 pm »
I'm rather conflicted about it.

If the parents feel they are going to be lazy about keeping their baby sons clean and will not keep after him as a child to clean himself correctly, then perhaps circumcision is preferable as a hygiene issue.  The child's health is at stake.

Otherwise I see no reason for a boy to have one.

If it's for a religious reason, then sure it should be an option, but he should make that decision as an adult, not have it done to him as a child.

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:26:53 pm »
well, it is not an easy decision to make!!
Why, what is so hard about it? And remember, however hard it may be for the parent to decide, it is the child who has to live with the results.

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 06:46:27 pm »
Sure, I can understand all these conflicting messages and thoughts. But I can say for myself, as a male on whom it was performed, that I would have been better off being left alone. My mother watched the procedure being performed, and said that I made no sound during it, but I have read that a baby in shock can "shut down" and remain silent; at any rate, I sincerely doubt that there is no pain at all involved (in all fairness, I certainly have no memory of the event).

I guess to my mind the bottom line is that you are changing a human being's body permanently, and doing so on a helpless, uninformed infant is pretty dire. Let the person make the decision for themselves as they become cognizant of their choices (they wouldn't necessarily have to wait until adulthood for this).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 07:04:55 pm »
My husband and I made the decision to not have our son circumcised when he was born. Basically, as a nurse, I had seen the procedure done many times and I can tell you, it is apparent it is painful for the infant. My husband and I also believe it is unnecessary.

Recently, I had a moment to talk privately and confidentially with my son (he is 19 now) and asked him if any of the things people use as reasons had ever been issues for him, ie, cleanliness, "not looking like his father," "being made fun of in gym class," etc. He said, quite emphatically, NO.

I believe we made the right decision and from what my son said to me, he agrees.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 07:09:29 pm »
Of course many gay men feel it's a plus to be uncut. ...

I went with "no opinion."  :-\

I'm cut. I don't feel I was harmed by it.

Come to think of it, I don't know whether my father is cut, or not--and, please God, I won't be finding out!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:52:49 pm »
I'm cut. I don't feel I was harmed by it.

same here.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:30 pm »
ouch!

:( :(

well, it is not an easy decision to make!!

Yikes, I, who scored 65% on the impusliveness register and rarly think thinks thru just realized, (surprise) we have parents here who have made that decision.

So, let me ask for a ground rule here, no condemation of anyone actions. Okay? We are talking about this in GENERAL.

Thank kew.

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."