Author Topic: The Amazing Race (Now Season 25 chat)  (Read 389183 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: The Amazing Race (Now Season 18: "Unfinished Business" chat)
« Reply #650 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:43 pm »
Observations:

Not too sad to see Luke and MArgie go.. sorry David!

I loved how happy the Indians were when Luke finished.  and I loved how the globetrotters hugged Margie and Luke when they left the tearoom. And then again at the detour.

I love Mallory. She spazzes out because she's so excited over everything!

I like how she acknowledged how hard it would be (living like people live moving like the people move and this is a tough county to survive in) and then they totally rocked it... and she was so funny how excited she was over the snapple TAR tea!!! And when they all sassed Mallory - she took it well.

Also, I liked having what appeared to the Racers to be a random (and useless) non-task was a key to a later Raodblock. There was a throwaway comment that i didn;t pick up on until someone mentioned it on another forum... They said they wondered why the producers included that throwaway comment from Zev after leaving the tea shop where he was all: "That was pointless!" Sneaky Amazing Race Planners!

And what was with his pyjamas!?!?!

I thought Ron was great at the roadblock - well done him for once

Also, I cracked up when, at the tea place, Kent was being all respectful "I bring you a papaya and a mango." and then Flight Time walked up immediately after and said: "Here ya go, Homey!" Unintentional comedy like that is pure gold!

The Globe Trotters, Mallory & Gary and Zev and Justin for the final 3 me thinks.. that would make great TV! And I'll have Kent and Vyxin as the fourth finish team.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #651 on: March 28, 2011, 03:03:23 pm »
Oh and apparently on the most recent episode of 30 rock in the US there was a TAR shoutout..

In the episode, Liz explains why she hasn't had time to come up with a career Plan B: "There have been many seasons of Amazing Race and I must go online and comment on them".

:laugh:

And apparently there is another 30 Rock episode where Liz is convinced her neighbor is a terrorist. He actually was doing his audition video for TAR!

Oh and other news.. CBS have renewed TAR for another season! So there will be a fall edition of TAR.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »
Good to hear the race will be on this fall, Kelda!! 8)

I'm really bummed about Margie and Luke. But I saw it coming. I remember from the previous season that when Luke starts getting frustrated things begin to go south. And they didn't have much of a cushion under them this time. Of course in usual TAR fashion, it came down to the wire between the Globetrotters and Margie and Luke.

I guess I'm rooting for Gary and Mallory now. I really like them.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #653 on: March 28, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »
I felt sorry for Luke, but I'm glad his mom convinced him to finish the task.  Loved the Indians hugging him, too.

I suspect the editors made the race between them and the Globetrotters seem closer than it was, but it was a nailbiter!

I'm a cranky old Scrooge, I guess, but Mallory's personality is grating on me, sorry.  :-\

Still too early for me to predict a final three.  All it takes is one gnarly task, and it's goodbye Charlie.  Hope the Globetrotters hang in there.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #654 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:54 am »
i got 1 and 6 wrong.. between us we would have got full marks!!

Full marks? Does that mean "passed" Kelda?

By "flagged" I meant I failed it. I only got 60 percent, and 60 percent is a failing grade around here. An F. (The F looks a bit like a flag. I guess that's where the term comes from).

You did really good though! You have a sharp memory! To be honest I was surprised I even got 6 of them correct! :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #655 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:28 am »
Full marks = 100%! But actually - just realised we both got 6 wrong so no full marks for us!

Meryl - you're probably right about the time being much less close than they make out. You always here that in previous race interviews that it was actually a lot less close than made out. The producers have to keep the tension up!

I know for example last week Jamie and Cara were over an hour behind Justin & Zev. No interviews with Margie and Luke have been posted in the TAR forums I go to yet so not sure about the time difference but I'm sure that will be a question they ask them.

And yeah too early to tell who will be in the Final 3... but I'd like it to be Globe Trotters, Mallory & Gary and Zev and Justin for the final 3 and Kent and Vyxin as the fourth finish team. I think it would be great TV..

But whether it happens who knows, certainly Zev's Aspergers comes into play next week (or actally 2 weeks time) as it looks like he is having trouble with the noise.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #656 on: March 29, 2011, 05:20:17 pm »
See if you recognise anyone in this!? (Hint - around 1.20 seconds!)

Brilliant!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #657 on: March 30, 2011, 04:44:36 am »
Especially for David - the Luke/MArgie exit interview.

(They were about 15-30mins behind the globetrotters).

'The Amazing Race' Exit Interview: Margie and Luke Adams
by MSN TV

It was hard to get a good sense of how long you guys were actually stuck at the tea-tasting challenge. How long were you there?

Luke: Four hours! It was sooooooo long.

Luke, do you have any idea how many cups of tea you actually drank?

Luke: I had no idea how many cups I drank! There were 1,500 teacups. Maybe between 300 and 400? I do not want to drink a [cup of tea] ever again.

Did you have any strategy going into it?

Luke: No, it's just a complete pure-luck challenge. I tried to smell the teas -- there's no way to tell the difference. I just literally grabbed random teacups and hoped it was the right one!

The pace this season seems incredible. Did the pace (and the resulting exhaustion) contribute to struggling with the tea challenge?

Luke: Exhaustion had nothing to do with the tea challenge. We actually got a bit of rest the night before we got up in the morning for the tea challenge. It was just pure luck.

It seemed like the books-delivery challenge might have been faster than painting the statue of Ganesha. Was that true? Was there a sense that if you'd taken the other challenge, you might have beaten the Globetrotters?

Luke: If only I knew the book delivery task was so much faster, I would have gone for it! I guess it's slightly possible that we could have beaten Globetrotters -- we'll never know. I had no idea how far behind we were. We finished the Ganesha task 15 minutes after the Globetrotters left. So, maybe 10 to 15 minutes behind?

Margie: It's hard to tell -- we don't know if the books versus the painting would have helped. We got to the painting just as the Globetrotters were finishing up, and I think we got to the Pitstop about 30 minutes after them.

I found the reaction from the Indian attendants as Luke finished the challenge really touching.

Luke: That was really unexpected and super sweet of them. I actually gave them a handshake and thanked them for their encouragement before we left. They actually started to cheer and clap for me after Globetrotters left. It wasn't easy to be the last one at the task!

Margie: The "tea men" were so sweet. When Luke was struggling, they encouraged him by clapping, and when Luke found the tea they were so happy, lifting him as best they could. I had to take the time before we left to thank each of them.

Margie, how has Luke changed and evolved as a racer since the first time you competed?

Margie: During season 14, I was kind of the decision maker, and Luke would say, "What can I say -- she is my mother." This season, he was more in control, and when he disagreed with me, he let me know.

Luke, you obviously seemed quite concerned that you had taken your mom out of the race. Has it happened long ago now that maybe it's become sort of funny, or is it still a sore subject? How does this compare to your Season 14 exit, when that surfboard challenge literally cost you a million dollars?

Luke: It's just funny to look at both races and how both [exits] were on my downfall. It has nothing to do with my mom. I felt like I let her down twice. The tea challenge isn't a sore subject now -- surfboards [from their original season] still haunt me, though! I mean, we were only one picture away from winning!

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/reality-tv-blogpost.aspx?post=21f55318-caea-4890-bba0-011e2ba9ca9a

Exclusive: Margie Adams and Luke Adams talk 'The Amazing Race'
By Reality TV World staff

Margie Adams and Luke Adams seemed likely to survive the Race's next leg when they left the fifth leg's Pit Stop of The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business all-stars edition in third place.

However, their Race took a fatal turn when the dropped into last place after Luke struggled to complete a tea-tasting Roadblock task -- resulting in the "Mother and Son" becoming the fourth team eliminated from the competition during Sunday night's broadcast of the show's sixth episode.

On Monday, Margie and Luke discussed their The Amazing Race experience with Reality TV World via email -- including how far behind they finished the sixth leg, whether Luke really considered quitting the tea tasting Roadblock task and how long it actually took him to complete it, what the status of their relationship is now with the team they clashed with during their prior The Amazing Race season, and which teams they had expected or felt deserved to be on the current season that weren't.

Reality TV World: About how long were you actually at the Roadblock?

Luke Adams: Four Hours! It wasn't fun at all.

Reality TV World: About how long after Herbert "Flight Time" Lang and Nathaniel "The Big Easy" Lofton had already left the Roadblock were you still there?

Luke Adams: It took me around an hour to find the right tea after they left.

Reality TV World: Luke, it didn't look like it from the episode, but do you feel your deafness played any role in your struggle to complete the Roadblock?

Luke Adams: No, it doesn't have anything to do with my deafness. It's more as for tasting and smelling but there's no way I could tell difference with teas. There were so many fruits in the room, so it made the smelling much harder. My taste buds actually turned sour after drinking so many teas.

Reality TV World: Luke, you said the Roadblock task was "so hard." Why did you feel it was so hard and why do you believe you got so emotional?

Luke Adams: I was drinking tea for four hours! I wasn't feeling well. My taste buds actually turned so bad from drinking so much. I couldn't take it anymore. I want to drink something else at that point! I felt so bad that my team fell to the last place. I didn't want to let my mom down again like I did with the surfboard task in our finale leg on our original season.

Reality TV World: Luke, do you think you still would have completed the Roadblock task if Margie hadn't urged you to finish, and looking back, are you glad you did so?

Luke Adams: It meant so much to have my mom's encouragement. It wasn't easy. I'm not the quitter, but for that tea challenge, I really, really wanted to quit. It was not fun drinking tea for four hours. I'm really glad that I didn't give up and finished the challenge.

Reality TV World: Margie, can you elaborate on why you wanted Luke to finish the Roadblock task?

Margie Adams: I know Luke, and he would not have been able to live with himself if he did not complete a task. He may not win every task, but he never quit.

Reality TV World: Do you have any idea about how far behind Flight Time and Big Easy you got to the Pit Stop?

Luke Adams: I had no idea. Maybe 20 minutes behind? We finished the Ganesha task 15 minutes after they left.

Reality TV World: You looked pretty defeated as you walked up to the Pit Stop -- were you already aware you were in last place?

Luke Adams: I was pretty sure the Globetrotters already checked in unless they got lost!

Margie Adams: We knew we were in last place and we figured it was NOT a non-elimination leg since they had already had two, so we figured we were finished. It was a hard way to go out.

Reality TV World: When I talked to Cara Rosenthal and Jaime Edmondson last week, they said that all the other teams had been very upset that Kent Kaliber and Vyxsin Fiala only received a 30-minute time penalty for not waiting until the following day to take the designated Japan-to-China flight. Was that accurate? What were your opinions about the penalty and do you think it was appropriate?

Luke Adams: I adore Kent and Vyxsin. It was the rule that we had to take a required flight and they did not follow the rule so yeah, I think they should have faced a stiffer penalty. They were only 20 minutes ahead of us when we left the Pit Stop in Japan so they could have made it on the required flight. I just feel bad for Jaime and Cara for getting screwed over with Kent and Vyxsin's U-Turn. That is not fair for the girls.

Margie Adams: That is not a decision we get to make, rules are rules and they were very LUCKY!

Reality TV World: Margie, how difficult was the dinosaur Roadblock in the previous leg and about how long did that take you?

Margie Adams: [LaKisha Hoffman] was already at the roadblock when [Christina Hsu] and I got there. I couldn't tell you how long I was there, but I left about 20 minutes after [Jet McCoy] finished. He raced through that thing. It was really a hard challenge because each piece was so heavy and once you put a piece together, it was really difficult to get them apart.

Reality TV World: You two had clashed with Jennifer Hoffman and Kisha during your first time on the Race. Had you reconciled with Jen and Kisha prior to your Race return, and what's the status of your relationship now?

Luke Adams: We haven't spoke to each other after our first race end and we spoke to each other on the first day of this race so now we are friends! That's really nice. Sometimes we would tweet to each other on Twitter!

Reality TV World:  What was your reaction when you learned you would be racing against them again this season?

Luke Adams: I wasn't surprised to see them back. They were a good team and tough to beat on our original season.

Margie Adams: Jen, Kisha, Luke and I have all accepted our share of the responsibility for the "incident in China." We have all apologized and moved on. When you have been on the road for 20-plus days, sleep deprived, hungry all the time -- fuses are short -- that is all it was. We are all great friends now.

Reality TV World: Before you learned you would be flying to India, you had expressed disappointment that the Race might be staying in China for another leg. Why?

Luke Adams: Are you kidding me? We had three legs in China on our original season! Two legs in China are pretty good for me, but now I actually wish we stayed in China instead of flying out to India.

Reality TV World: Some of this season's clues actually seem to be "clues" that need to be solved and not just directions about what to do next like a lot of the show's recent seasons seem to have been. In addition, some of the Roadblocks and Detours seem to be harder than usual. Did you feel that way while you were out there and did that surprise you?

Luke Adams: I actually like the "clues!" It's way more challenging and a lot of placement shuffles around!! It didn't surprise me that the challenges were much harder. I kind of expected it.

Margie Adams: When asked to be on the show we were told that second chances are not free, so we figured it was going to be harder the second time around. So, we were not that surprised. What surprised us was the length of the challenges. The super legs were killer.

Reality TV World: Almost half of this season's cast were fourteenth-season teams -- did that surprise you?

Luke Adams: Yes! Actually I was excited about it. It was like the little mini family reunion.

Margie Adams: No, we had a fantastic group of racers!

Reality TV World: Out of the 10 other teams that were there, were there any that you were surprised to see?

Luke Adams: The only team that I was surprised to see was [Justin Kanew] and [Zev Glassenberg]. They didn't go that far in their season. There were few teams that lost passports!

Reality TV World: All four of this season's first four eliminated teams have been fourteenth-season teams. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Luke Adams: Bad luck for sure! It wasn't planned that way! Actually I would love to have five season 14 teams to be in the Final Five! Apparently, it didn't work out so well!

Reality TV World: Were there any teams that you have been expecting to see on this season or felt deserved to be there that weren't?

Luke Adams: To be honest, I was really, really surprised to NOT see [Brook Roberts] and [Claire Champlin] back! I thought it would be fun to race with them! I thought [Sam and Dan McMillen], [Carol Rosenfeld] and [Brandy Snow], and [Ken and Tina Greene] deserved the second chance for sure. They were great teams.

Margie Adams: I was hoping that [Steve and Linda Cole] would be asked back. They would have been fun to race with again.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-margie-adams-and-luke-adams-talk-the-amazing-race-12121.php

Amazing Race's Margie and Luke: We Almost Took a Penalty
Mar 29, 2011 by Joyce Eng

Even though the needle-in-a-haystack tea-identifying Roadblock on The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business brought him to tears and took him four hours to complete, Luke Adams says it was not as hard as the final memory task in the Season 14 finale. "The surfboards were much harder," he tells TVGuide.com. "It was just much harder because [my mom Margie and I] were so close to winning!" This time around, he was thisclose to throwing in the towel.

How did you decide that Luke would do the Roadblock?
Luke: Mom wasn't feeling well on the morning of the tea challenge so we thought it would be better if I did it. I'm glad I did it. I wouldn't want to make her sicker!
Margie: I was recovering from a case of food poisoning and there was no way I was eating or drinking anything until I felt better. Luke volunteered to do it because he knew I was not feeling well.

Did you get sick from drinking so much tea?
Luke: I just felt more bloated. It wasn't easy drinking tea for four hours.

What were your tactics for finding the right cup? Did you smell any of the teas?
Luke: There's no skill involved. ... I had actually tried smelling and I couldn't tell any difference. There were so many smells in the room, so it made it much harder. ... [Mallory] actually said smelling [worked], but it didn't help.

Did you ever consider taking a penalty when you were the last one left?
Luke: Yeah, I was ready to give up. I couldn't take drinking tea anymore, but at same time I really wanted to find the tea and hope that we could catch up with other teams and beat one of them to the mat.

Margie, what was going through your mind when he was struggling so much?
Margie: It was so painful to watch. He is always so concerned that he is letting me or the deaf community down, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He was drinking tea for four hours and I am sure he felt like quitting, but he wouldn't because he didn't want to let me down.

How much encouragement did the attendants at the task give you?
Luke: That was so nice of them! It meant so much especially after we finished last. It was really nice to have their encouragement and we knew that we had to keep going.
Margie: The little "tea men" were so sweet and encouraging. They clapped and cheered for Luke and Flight Time and when Luke finally got the tea and was given the clue. They were so happy for him they tried to lift him on their shoulders.

Why did you decide to do the art Detour? How long did that take?
Luke: The task clues were vague so we weren't sure which one would be faster, but the Ganesha task was much closer so we went for it.
Margie: Our cab driver told us that the trolly stop was closer than the book depot and Luke was not feeling well, so we chose the challenge where he would have to walk the least. It is hard to tell how much time goes by when you are doing a challenge, but we got to the challenge a little before Flight Time and Big Easy were finishing up.

What did Flight Time say to you when he hugged you guys?
Luke: He said good job and he didn't think he would have hung in there as long as I did. That was really nice of him!
Margie: I think Flight Time and Big Easy are the only other people on this earth that understand what Luke went through because Flight Time experienced it too. He hugged me and said he was very proud of Luke and he was surprised by his strength and he really admired him. That was one of the best moments of the Race for me. He is such a great guy.

How far behind the Globetrotters at the Pit Stop were you?
Margie: I think about 30 minutes.

You seemed certain that you were last the way you walked to the Pit Stop. Did you have any hope at all of being safe?
Margie: We figured we were last. They had already had two [super-legs], so Luke and I figured that there would not be another one so soon.

How does this Race experience compare to your first one?
Luke: Much harder! It was just physically exhausting.
Margie: Both were amazing, but in Season 14, we were fortunate enough to race the entire Race and that is just the best. Sitting at elimination station while your friends are still racing is not so fun.

What are you up to now?
Luke: I'm doing a bit of traveling, so I'm really excited about it. I'm thinking about going to grad school this fall. I actually dropped out of grad school two years ago to do The Amazing Race.
Margie: Back to normal life, but I have a new man in my life — well, not a new man. He's someone I knew growing up [and he] found me on Facebook last year. And the only reason I was on Facebook was because Luke said I had to have a page for my "fans." Well, the fans were few and far between, but I did reconnect with my new guy, so thank you, Luke.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazing-Race-Margie-Luke-1031191.aspx

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #658 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:46 pm »
Thanks for posting that Kelda. I'll come back and read it in a little while!

I was just thinking though - do you all remember a couple of episodes back when they were in China? And Ron and Christina were walking down the street looking at all the various food stalls? They showed a scene of little silver fish (about 3 inches long perhaps) being fried ALIVE in a skillet. Did you see that? I've heard they do that over there - cook fish while they are still alive - but I never understood the point of it. WHY? That seems awfully cruel to me. The poor things were jumping and flipping around in that pan. I felt really sorry for them.

Sorry, but I suddenly remembered that and I had to say something about it! lol

>:( >:(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #659 on: March 31, 2011, 04:13:03 am »
Yes, I remember that David.

Not a fan but then the western world do it too with lobsters and crabs for example.