Author Topic: The Holiday Blues  (Read 15532 times)

Scott6373

Re: The Holiday Blues
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:43 pm »

People do it.  You have my support.  :)

Not my husbands though...he adores this holiday, so it's on with the happy mask, and weep in private

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 04:00:47 pm »
Not my husbands though...he adores this holiday, so it's on with the happy mask, and weep in private

One year this way, one year that way?  Compromise?

Scott6373

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 04:05:44 pm »
One year this way, one year that way?  Compromise?

I don't think I could ever even approach that subject with him.  If I can get through it witout ruining his holiday, then it's fine.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 05:08:21 pm »
I don't think I could ever even approach that subject with him.  If I can get through it witout ruining his holiday, then it's fine.

I'm sorry to hear that Scott. I must be a difficult, even lonely time for you. Is it really about the 'holidays'? I've heard that people can get down or even depressed during the winter periode and it really has to do with the lack of sunshine or daylight. Like a physical reaction.

But I do agree that lots of aspects of the 'holiday season' can feel very 'fake', and you really want things to get back to normal, soon!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Scott6373

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 05:09:52 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that Scott. I must be a difficult, even lonely time for you. Is it really about the 'holidays'? I've heard that people can get down or even depressed during the winter periode and it really has to do with the lack of sunshine or daylight. Like a physical reaction.

But I do agree that lots of aspects of the 'holiday season' can feel very 'fake', and you really want things to get back to normal, soon!

Professionally I have been told that it is Seasonal Affective Disorder...not sure if I believe in that totally.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 05:20:49 pm »
the Mayo Clinic recommends a combination approach, depending upon severity of symptoms, the first of which is "light box therapy."  No that doesn"t mean lightweight class boxing, it means light therapy using a full spectrum lamp and sitting in front of it for a period of time each day.  Other recommendations are use of antidepressants and psychotherapy.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195/DSECTION=8

their strongest recommendation is do not sit and do nothing and try to "tough it out" because S.A.D. can be very disabling.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 06:17:20 pm »
Professionally I have been told that it is Seasonal Affective Disorder...not sure if I believe in that totally.

SAD is a real condition, whether or not that's what's going on with you.

I guess one test of that might be -- do the blues end immediately after the holidays? SAD theoretically would build up as the days get shorter, peak on December 21, and begin to dissipate after that. It probably wouldn't end right after Christmas, or on New Year's Day. (As I said, my own SAD goes right through February and into March. I can even feel slight effects from one equinox to another!)

So does the timing of your feelings seem more tied to the holidays themselves or to the shorter days (hard to determine, I know, because they're so closely aligned)?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:12 pm »
It's my belief that problems like Scott's often don't have one single cause. I don't question that he is affected by SAD--I have a touch of it, too, as I think I've already discussed on this thread.

But if, in addition, he doesn't have good memories of past holidays (I thank God I do), I can well imagine this time of year, as the days grow shorter and colder, it could feel like getting hit with a double whammy.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 09:32:17 pm »
I got dragged to Detroit for four long years and all the time I was there I was very SADD!! But when I returned to my beloved Rocky Mountains I recovered, so I know this is a very real thing! The only cure, Scott, is for you to come be with us in the Rocky Mountains! You know you want to so, do it!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:22 pm »

just speaking my thoughts out loud; not always a good thing.

1) Is there anything about the holiday you do like (just curious)?

2) If he knew you felt this way, how do you think he would react? (quietly and gently asking whether you think it is important to him that you are happy, or not, through the holidays?)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger