Author Topic: Do You Support The Employment Non Discrimination Act?  (Read 3614 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Support The Employment Non Discrimination Act?
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:50:05 pm »
The House on Wednesday approved the first federal ban on job discrimination against gays, lesbians and bisexuals. After the 235-184 vote, supporters of the bill are expecting a tough fight in the narrowly divided Senate, where Massachusetts Democrat Edward Kennedy plans to introduce a similar version.

A veto from President Bush is expected if the proposal does pass the Senate.

Backers of the House bill proclaimed it a major civil rights advance for gays. "Bigotry and homophobia are sentiments that should never be allowed to permeate the American workplace," said House Majority Whip James Clyburn, D-S.C. Republicans, meanwhile, said the bill could undermine the rights of people who oppose homosexuality for religious reasons and lead to an onslaught of dubious discrimination lawsuits.

What do you think?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Do You Support The Employment Non Discrimination Act?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:17:47 pm »

A veto from President Bush is expected if the proposal does pass the Senate.

Republicans, meanwhile, said the bill could undermine the rights of people who oppose homosexuality for religious reasons and lead to an onslaught of dubious discrimination lawsuits.

What do you think?

Of coarse Bush is going to veto it. The idiot.

Undermine their rights?? What the.....

I think it's really needed but it's going to be a fight.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:26:19 pm »

I go back to the original Constitution, and separation of church and state.  We should
not be fighting for the church rights to descriminate....period...

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »

I go back to the original Constitution, and separation of church and state.  We should
not be fighting for the church rights to descriminate....period...

Well said.  The U.S. is a secular country, not a theocracy.  For the most part our laws allow people to worship as they wish - but only so long as it doesn't run contrary to the laws of the country.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:36:50 pm »
Somebody pointed out an interesting and alarming possibility to me the other day. He said this law, if passed, may force gay people to declare their sexual orientation on employment applications. Employers may choose this route in order to prevent possible law suits against them. I'd hate to think I would be pressured into revealing my orientation on a job application. That is a scary thought for most gay people in my part of the country.

I suppose we really don't have to worry about anything like this happening, because President Bush has already promised to veto the bill if the Senate passes it. If it does pass the Senate, it will only marginally pass, and I seriously doubt there would be enough votes to override a presidential veto. So, President Bush has already killed it.

I also think this is something that should be considered on a state level, not a federal one. And even though such a bill has no chance in hell of passing in my home state, at least not in the forseeable future, I feel our state's rights are being trampled on by Washington.

It's a shame that a topic like this is so debatable among the American people. I think everyone should have the right to work in a job without the fear of being fired simply because of their sexual orientation. If an individual is qualified for the job, and if he or she is an honest, law abiding citizen, he or she should be allowed to work without fear of dismissal. Unfortunately this is NOT the case in many parts of our country. But I don't think the federal government stepping in is the correct way to approach this. I'm sorry, but I really don't.

So in case anyone is wondering who it was that voted "Unsure", it was me.  :-\

I can't help but think however, that if and when President Bush does veto this bill, it will not be for any of the reasons I listed. He will veto it because he is mean spirited, and that will PISS ME OFF!  >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:34:20 pm »
Yes, I strongly support ENDA! Thank you US House, now on to the Senate!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 10:30:03 pm »
I am not sure if I support this or not. I would need to see the wording of the Act.

Unlike some people, I view my homosexuality as something intrinsically and spiritually connected to my deepest aspect of personhood and individuality. In fact, to me, I'm not really a "homosexual", I'm just myself. I am an individual. Granted, I have certain knowledge and experiences which may qualify me for one job or another, but these are separate, to some extent, from my individuality. It has always been my opinion that discrimination in a work place should be reserved for knowledge and experience and no aspects of a person's individuality at all, or an individual's personhood, for that matter, including race, color, or creed.

If the bill is worded in such a way as to protect individuality and personhood, and not allow or permit reverse discrimination, then I suppose I am for it. But too often, we use our laws to create lists of "Thou shalt nots", rather than "Thou shalts". I imagine this is because corrupt organizations pay little attention to the "Thou shalt" laws, and it is easier to see an organization do something than not do something.     
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 05:02:24 pm »
If you accept the fact that homosexuality is an intrinsic, immutable part of some individuals, like racial characteristics or gender, then extending ENDA to Gays and Lesbians is long overdue. Some of the religious and even non-religious segments of the US population do not accept this argument, they believe homosexuality is a choice. I know that homosexuality is an intrinsic part of my being and therefore just as worthy of protection as gender or racial characteristics. I know that the religious right is offering up a phoney argument based upon prejudice, just a surely as the argument made in the early 20th century by some in the US Airforce that Blacks should not be given officer training because everyone knows that Blacks can never be competent pilots. That argument was based upon stupid prejudice. I am hopeful that enough members of the Senate will end this current prejudice against Gay men and Lesbians and vote for an altered ENDA. Only Bush knows whether he will veto or not. I do know that Veep Cheney has in the past expressed support for lifting the prohibition at the time towards hiring Gays in the DOD. Maybe Cheney still feels this way and will weigh in for Gay rights.....maybe not, we will see.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 05:27:25 pm »
Hope it passes! Silence=Spiritual Death

TampaTalon^">

Rights will only come when we show collectively that we have the......
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:28 pm »
Of course, I hope it passes, but it doesn't have a prayer if a GOP president gets elected to the White House. Many ppl have to worry about their workplace situation and can't be as out as they'd like for fear of "complications" back in the office. In many parts of the USA, gays have no legal recourse. 

I've known gay lawyers who gets calls from ppl saying their employer is trying to get rid of them but there is no legal recourse unless the company has an anti-discrimination clause which the local office wasn't aware of. And I've heard of human resource ppl being told "thought the candidate was too light in the loafers." Discrimination occurs before your hired!