Author Topic: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?  (Read 116837 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:25 am »
This is the sister-poll to the thread here in this forum "When is it too early to put Holiday lights/decorations up?"

I personally, usually feel that by mid-January the season's over.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: When is it too late to still have Holiday decorations up?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:32:12 am »
My decorations stay up until January 6th (Epiphany). :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:18:43 am »

I was going to suggest this as an option too, since I think this is a pretty typical choice, especially in Europe.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:50:47 am »

I was going to suggest this as an option too, since I think this is a pretty typical choice, especially in Europe.

I agree. I haven't voted yet. Epiphany is the traditional day to take the decorations down. I take them down either on Epiphany or the Friday after Epiphany, because the old Christmas trees are picked up on Saturday after Epiphany. It's always a youth group from a sports/musicians club or from a church that collects them and thereby collects money for charitiy.

But .... I always find some left over decorations much, much later  ::). The wreath on the front door is still there... from last year  ::). I won't take it down now.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:45:31 am »

Same here. That's the day we celebrate the visitation of the three kings. We have a special 'kings' cake that day with a coffee bean hidden in it. The one who gets the bean, gets to be the king for one day. Of course that doesn't imply being excused from 'cleaning up christmas' duty!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:48:57 am »
Epiphany is the day, but I like to leave the tree up for a while. Everything else should be down by Epiphany. Last year we had a wedding reception on January 27 so EVERYTHING stayed up for that; I wanted my mother and aunt to see the tree. It's artificial so there is no problem with that!

. I ended up taking the tree down the day before the Estes Park BBQ committee met in out house, which was in MARCH.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:00:03 am »
I went with everything should be down by Martin Luther King Day. I usually try to get my stuff away the weekend next after Epiphany. My mother always insisted that everything be put away New Year's Day--though she had started decorating in early December, so by New Year's Day I imagine she was pretty sick of the stuff.

A caveat. If the outside of your house is tastefully decorated in white lights, I have no problem with keeping those lights up and lighted at night until, perhaps, sometime in February, by which time the days are noticeably getting longer. Just a personal taste.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:06:10 am »
when is martin luther king day?

and please tell me the valentines day one isn't for real!?! (but yeah twinkl white lights are pokay as they aren't specifically xmas)

Mine come down either on the 2nd - which is a public holiday and I'm nor mally bored between films and good tv bu8t too lazy to go outside or on 6 jan like many of you are saying - the 12th day of xmas!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:10:24 am »
when is martin luther king day?

January 17th...or whatever Monday falls near that date.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:13:17 am »
I said New Year's Day but when we really do it is the weekend after New Year's, depending on what day of the week New Year's falls on.

I like decorations but by the beginning of January I am ready to put everything away and start fresh.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!