Author Topic: What a great read…  (Read 3186 times)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
What a great read…
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:59:43 am »

Good morning Tremblayans!

Remember way back in March when I posted about a co-worker of mine who had been initially quite reluctant to see Brokeback Mountain, and then finally went to see it in the theater instead of waiting for the DVD…and how much he totally loved it?

Well, I just wanted to share that upon my request, this morning he returned my copy of the short story that I had lent him a couple of months ago, which he had also given to a friend of his to read (and he also bought the soundtrack). I saw him in the office kitchen just now and said, “Thank you for the book.” He said, “Thank YOU for the book. What a great read!” I said, I’m so glad.”

Big smile. Nice way to start the week.  ;D ;) :)
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: What a great read…
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:13:05 am »
How wonderful!  Yes, the arts, they bring us together, especially the great works!  Brokeback Mountain,  book and movie form, great works of art.

Cheers,
Rayn
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 11:56:26 am by Rayn »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:14:50 am »
Great work, Jenny!  Keep spreadin' the news....... 8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:52:25 am »
I did Meryl!! Just passed along the returned copy to another co-worker who's a member of the LGBT community.  ;D :)
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:51:56 am »
I interrupt my self imposed and hopefully brief hiatus from Chez Tremblay (due to some burnout issues I am battling from just. doing. too. much.) to bring you this good news: I just got my copy of the short story back from the 2nd co-worker (a lesbian) that I lent it to.

She handed it to me with a smile, saying, “In some ways this is even better than the movie. It’s sparse; it’s like a poem.” I talked a little about how much they flesh out the parts with Lureen and Alma, and about how amazing it is that so much of the dialogue is the same. She agreed, saying it’s remarkable how well they were able to translate the story onto the screen, and how they got a whole movie out of it. She had thought it was an actual book. She was still smiling as she started walking away, obviously affected, and she thanked me very much for lending it to her. Yippeee!

Looking at my stats I see that the last time I posted here was May 17th--yikes! Please don't take it personally--I'm missin everyone, just trying to give myself some really needed TLC. I'll be back, if the army don't get me. And I'll make sure they don't.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:44:50 pm »
We all have to take a little break every once in a while whether to go off with our fishin buddies or be by our lonesome. Welcome back, Jennie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:43:41 pm »
Jenny.. we love you! But take you time to recouperate and get jobs etc sorted babe!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 02:19:47 pm »
Thanks Lee and Kel!!! I love you too. No matter how many PMs you have or don't have, you're one awesome brokie lass (to use a scottish-sounding term)!!

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 04:18:58 pm »
That is great news! I leant my DVD to my mums friend and she said she really liked it, but it was depressing. From the depressing comment I was scared that she didn't like it but the next day I saw here in Wollies buying it, so I think she liked it. Next on the list to borrow my DVD is my next-door neighbour, that is if her husband and son let it in the house. ::)
I know this should be a PM Jenny, but I really can't be bothered to start a new PM. So welcome back and K is right everyone needs a break: Have a break, have a kitkat! ;D
Anyway I was wonderin' if you wouldn't mind reciving your present a little later than I planned. I am so sorry, it is just that Chan's birthday is coming up and I am sending her a present so it gets there in time for her birthday(2weeks away, plus the SA customs are a right pain in the ass). Also a lack of money is a serious problem for me at the moment as I am saving for Niagra, 3 days to go and I still only have £20. :o My mum has promised that she will pay me £5 for every room I clean and with a possible 10 rooms to clean(£50) I need to get working. So I absolutely promise that I will post it as soon as I get back from Niagra, of course if I suddenly come in to money or I get a chance to post it I will, and I will keep you up to date. I know it is stupid to spend this long sending a present but as I am sure you will know that everything gets piled up on you when you promise you will do something(with all my exams and such) but everytime I have come on here and seen you post I have felt more and more guilty about not sending it. I know I have been building up the part of the present and when you get it you will probably be like, "Why is she sending me this crap?!"(I know you would never says that, but you might think it!) but I am hoping it is the principal and the thought that counts!(how cheesy do I sound)

I am so stupid: I said I couldn't be bothered to send you a PM and then I go and do it anyway! ::) :laugh:
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 04:48:56 pm »
Becky,

PM or Post, I just like the direction your goin!!

It's always a treat, and a hoot, to read your words. I wish I could go to "Niagra" this weekend! I can't stand it that you'll only be 400-something miles from me and I can't fork over the 300 or 400 it would cost to rent a car and drive up there! Dagnabbit.