Author Topic: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy  (Read 89348 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »
"Frack" is a word that the Battlestar Galactica universe uses in lieu of "fuck".  They're from a different world, so they have different words than we Earth people do.   No different than Star Wars characters saying "Blast" or "wizard".  ;D The BSG also have a word for 'shit' too I believe.  They are words inherited from the original TV series - they had 'frack' and 'felgercarb'.

Yes, Razor comes between 3 and 4 

Really?!!  Strange that I never noticed it while (recently) watching Season 1 ???  It's quite silly when you consider that they use the same words for pretty much everything else.  Changing only the obscenities is just childish to me.  It reminds me of the time I watched the Demi Moore movie Striptease on one of those revolting Superstations and in one dramatic scene some redneck in an argument/fight yells out "Suck my TOE!".  I just burst out laughing!

Anyway, thanks for the info.  Now that I know it's intentional, albeit stupid, maybe it won't bother me as much.   :-\

It's stilll my favourite show though, it's so damn addictive and compelling.  I can't say that I've ever cried during a Star Trek episode but it's happened several times watching BsG.  I wish Helo got his balls back, he seems pretty wimpy so far in season 2 and he's my favourite sex fantasy character.  I find it hard to take Pretty-Boy-Appollo seriously, especially when he tries to act all butch and tough.  Love the conflicted Sharon.  Does her baby survive?  And what is up with Starbuck's "second scar"?
 ;D

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »
Really?!!  Strange that I never noticed it while (recently) watching Season 1 ???  It's quite silly when you consider that they use the same words for pretty much everything else.  Changing only the obscenities is just childish to me.  It reminds me of the time I watched the Demi Moore movie Striptease on one of those revolting Superstations and in one dramatic scene some redneck in an argument/fight yells out "Suck my TOE!".  I just burst out laughing!

Anyway, thanks for the info.  Now that I know it's intentional, albeit stupid, maybe it won't bother me as much.   :-\

It's stilll my favourite show though, it's so damn addictive and compelling.  I can't say that I've ever cried during a Star Trek episode but it's happened several times watching BsG.  I wish Helo got his balls back, he seems pretty wimpy so far in season 2 and he's my favourite sex fantasy character.  I find it hard to take Pretty-Boy-Appollo seriously, especially when he tries to act all butch and tough.  Love the conflicted Sharon.  Does her baby survive?  And what is up with Starbuck's "second scar"?
 ;D

Heh, well, you can't put our judgements on sci-fi shows in general.  Why don't they just say the words?  Well, the idea is is because they're not us.  Why would they use the same words?  BSG is kinda steampunk anyway.  They have the ability for light speed travel but still use phones with cords?  Men still wear ties?  WTF? 

I despised the Sharon character.  She represents - to me anyway - every bad stereotype about parents.  One episode really pissed me off about the risks she put everyone - their entire civilization's existence - into because she was only concerned about her own.  What a selfish bitch.  Or post partum.  Or just bad writing.  Who in their right mind would do such a thing?  Baltar, sure, he is off his rocker, but Sharon?  And only because she had a baaaaaby, so no one judges her for that?  Jeez, c'mon!!  I'd throw her sorry ass off on the nearest planet.  Starbuck - eh, she's so fucked up, I think in one episode a character finally said the only reason they let her fly was because she was the best.  I like Apollo, but never bought his relationship with Kara or his wife.  Kara is more butch than he and his wife...well, what can you say about such a mincing character married to the football quarterback? 

Offline oilgun

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2008, 02:38:26 pm »
Heh, well, you can't put our judgements on sci-fi shows in general.  Why don't they just say the words?  Well, the idea is is because they're not us.  Why would they use the same words?  BSG is kinda steampunk anyway.  They have the ability for light speed travel but still use phones with cords?  Men still wear ties?  WTF? 

I despised the Sharon character.  She represents - to me anyway - every bad stereotype about parents.  One episode really pissed me off about the risks she put everyone - their entire civilization's existence - into because she was only concerned about her own.  What a selfish bitch.  Or post partum.  Or just bad writing.  Who in their right mind would do such a thing?  Baltar, sure, he is off his rocker, but Sharon?  And only because she had a baaaaaby, so no one judges her for that?  Jeez, c'mon!!  I'd throw her sorry ass off on the nearest planet.  Starbuck - eh, she's so fucked up, I think in one episode a character finally said the only reason they let her fly was because she was the best.  I like Apollo, but never bought his relationship with Kara or his wife.  Kara is more butch than he and his wife...well, what can you say about such a mincing character married to the football quarterback? 
I realize that they are not us and that they sometime use different words, but I think the writers erred when they decided to make-up swear words because it sounds like they've been edited in instead of being an organic part of their vocabulary.

I'm at the part where they just found the tomb of Athena and the "map" to earth.   Starbuck & Helo were saved by Sharon on Caprica, when Starbuck had gone back ro get that arrow.  Just watched the episode where the reporter with "full access" to Galactica turns out to be a Cylon and where pregnant Sharon, while in lockup, wakes up in a pool of blood and taken to sick bay.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2008, 02:45:14 pm »
I realize that they are not us and that they sometime use different words, but I think the writers erred when they decided to make-up swear words because it sounds like they've been edited in instead of being an organic part of their vocabulary.

OK, it sounded pretty natural to me.  So much so I sometimes use "frack/frak" in my own everyday use - so do many fans apparently.

I'm at the part where they just found the tomb of Athena and the "map" to earth.   Starbuck & Helo were saved by Sharon on Caprica, when Starbuck had gone back ro get that arrow.  Just watched the episode where the reporter with "full access" to Galactica turns out to be a Cylon and where pregnant Sharon, while in lockup, wakes up in a pool of blood and taken to sick bay.

Oops, I'm so sorry, I thought you were already past those parts. 

Offline oilgun

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2008, 02:55:29 pm »
OK, it sounded pretty natural to me.  So much so I sometimes use "frack/frak" in my own everyday use - so do many fans apparently.

Oops, I'm so sorry, I thought you were already past those parts. 

No harm done.  I haven't the faintest idea what will happen, it's great!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 05:58:08 pm »
No one seen Solvent Green ?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »
No one seen Solvent Green ?

It was on TV last week and I watched it.  It holds up fairly well I thought, I really enjoyed it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2008, 11:53:50 pm »
Merci oilgun!

I did not think that I would have enjoyed it, and I loved it !

It's a surprise, isn't it ?

But why did he (Robinson) go to die ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2008, 11:42:47 pm »
he was old, unhappy, and wanted a quick way out of the dystopia he was living in.

as a curiosity, "Soylent Green" was also the last film of Celia Lovsky who played T'Pau on the TOS episode "Amok Time"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708416/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2008, 11:52:45 pm »
1- Oh! But I can't see that he was unhappy, but old but why do to his death ??

2- And is it Sci-Fi that one in the USA fansy now giving 10,000 $ if anyone finds the lastest meteorite near the Brokeback Mountain movie was filmed?