Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22287 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:46 pm »
Years ago, a study said that we gay men are 10 per cent, in society!

Are we now MORE than 10 percent?

Hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:56:33 pm »

Honey I really dont know where you would go to find that statistic..  It would be a pure conjecture, at best.

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:43:10 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!

There must be some recent studies?

Or not so recent ones?

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:45:49 am »
Years ago, a study said that we gay men are 10 per cent, in society!

Are we now MORE than 10 percent?

Hugs!

Artiste, If the 10% is a true and accurate figure I don't think that would ever change because that
would be the extent of the natural variation. Let me throw out a few statistics and I forgot where I read
them, but somewhere I read that 50% of men at one time in thier life tried a same-sex experience. This
experience may be something as simple as a kiss an no more. Then 25% of that 50% go on in life to
have same-sex encounters during their lifetime. This I assume would account for bisexuality. The study
also stated that only 4-6 % of men are exclusively same-sex all their life, thus gay. Take these statistics more as
gossip than gospel, because, like I said I do not remember where I read it. My point is that in the wild or
natural seection I don't believe the percent of gay men would increase by natural selection. The only
way I believe the percent would increase is by betting polling methods. Also remember this and it was
quoted by the same study I read, that some men are so phobic about same-sex acts that they would
admit to sleeping with a dog before they would admit to sleeping with another man.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:06:58 am »
Hi Artiste!!  :D

What Tampatalon said.

I have read studies about gay population claiming a statistical value of anywhere from 5% to nearly 20% of society. It's all over the chart. These studies depend on the honesty of an individual, so in my opinion none of these "studies" are accurate, because just like Tampatalon said, some people would never admit to sleeping with a same sex partner.

And then perhaps some straight people might admit to being gay or bisexual just to throw off the study. Fun and games. So nobody really knows for certain.  Personally I think the gay population is probably around 6 or 7 percent; bisexuals at maybe 15 percent. But that is just my opinion. I don't think anyone will ever know for certain unless they invent a machine that can read minds.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:04:37 am »
Hi Artiste!!  :D
 I don't think anyone will ever know for certain unless they invent a machine that can read minds.  :)

They already invented the machine, its my spouse. He  is great fer telling me off for what I might be thinking.     
    ;D :o :laugh:

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:06:27 am »
They already invented the machine, its my spouse. He  is great fer telling me off for what I might be thinkiing  ;D :o :laugh:

TampaTalon^">

Yeah, they're good at that, aren't they? My Alex is very good at that too! :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:58:19 am »
Thanks David, and thanks tampatalon!!

The data varied, I guess, like you say.

The one study, many years ago, did it not say that 10 per cent were gay men?

Not another such   study was done since??

Hugs!!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:30 pm »
Thanks David, and thanks tampatalon!!

The data varied, I guess, like you say.

The one study, many years ago, did it not say that 10 per cent were gay men?

Not another such   study was done since??

Hugs!!

Artiste, If there is a new study. I certainly would be interested. A good study that has
good statistics would help forward gay rights. If 10% of the population could be
proven conclusively gay and lesbian, this should be a wake up call for the
politicians. A 10% voting block would certainly be worth courting nationwide.

TampaTalon^">

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:46 pm »
Thanks tampatalon!

You are likely right, that it would help that way, indeed! For votes, for values, for education, for much more!! For us all gay men too!!

I feel that such a new educational survey would interest many, as well as us, since it could reveal much more than 10 percent! Now, that many gay men are numbered, such data is important!

Who could do it?

Hugs!