Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22278 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 10:00:39 pm »
When you say "gay men" are you weighing that against the total population including women.I strongly suspect that figure is way too high. Maybe including occasional bisexuals both male and female it adds up to 10%. Men and women who are exclusively homosexual is probably closer to 3 to 4% of the total population. but, I'm not convinced that there will be reliable studies until there are easy tests for the "gay gene" that was discovered about 10 years ago.   

Keep in mind that more than 50% of the population is to some extent bisexual!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 11:19:35 am »
Thanks garycottle, thanks Front-Ranger, and thanks brokeplex!!!

1. Concerning that 6 percent from the biggest and oldest (I guess) survey, I think that that was only for gay men? Can anyone find out?

2. Do you think that since at least 50 per cent or more are bi-persons, this could help greatly if the numbers are to be known?

3. Since there is more now an openness for gay men like gay marriages in certain countries, I feel that the population has likely at least 10 percent or more who consider themselves gay men??

Such surveys and data need to be done too??

Hugs!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 07:39:53 pm »
Keep in mind that more than 50% of the population is to some extent bisexual!

how do we know this, about the 50% stat ? And by bi-sexual do you mean anyone who has had an experience with the same sex, or someone who is actively bi-sexual and has regular contact with both genders. I have had sexual contact with women in the past, but I do not think of myself as bi-sexual at all.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 07:43:10 pm »
It's no more right to discriminate against 6% of the population than it is to discrimiante against 12%. 

I agree with you completely. I think a lot of the interest in near approximations of numbers of gay men, lesbians , and bi-sexuals is the result of the Kinsey Study which I believe put the number at 10%. Later studies have shown that number to be unreliable. So, there is a curiosity about a range or a % number.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 08:20:27 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Like you, I am confused as I had similar experiences with ladies, in the past, so I guess I was bi- then;
and, all gay now??

I am glad that you name the Kinsey report. But that mentioned 6 percent for gay men exclusively then, I think it was? Can you find out?

In a next such survey, much will come out of it, surely, and that will be helpful in many wondrous ways for us gay men, lesbians, bi- as well as for straights surely?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 08:23:08 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Like you, I am confused as I had similar experiences with ladies, in the past, so I guess I was bi- then;
and, all gay now??

I am glad that you name the Kinsey report. But that mentioned 6 percent for gay men exclusively then, I think it was? Can you find out?

In a next such survey, much will come out of it, surely, and that will be helpful in many wondrous ways for us gay men, lesbians, bi- as well as for straights surely?

Hugs!
I'll do my best, you can also go to "Kinsey report" on google.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 08:28:32 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Since I think that gay men are now to-day more that 10 percent, I await your answer concerning the then Kinsey survey.

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 11:09:41 pm »
How in the world do you think that gay men are more than 10% of the population? So, under your theory if you add in Lesbians, who would be also more than 10%, you would have gays and lesbians combined at 20% of the total population. Come on Artiste! There are certain sections of San Fran in which that might be correct, but overall in the USA and Canada? I think you have the wrong figures.

The total % pop of lesbians plus gay men is probably no more than 3%. I don't know how to define bi-sexuals, or why its important to add in bi-sexuals.
What is a bi-sexual? I'm not a bi-sexual even though I will admit to having some experiences with women.

I'm as gay as a box of birds, and happy to be that way!

I think that if it is important to come up with a figure, we should just concentrate on men and women who are attracted to and in relationships with the
same sex.

moremojo

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 02:53:16 pm »
Artiste, If there is a new study. I certainly would be interested. A good study that has
good statistics would help forward gay rights. If 10% of the population could be
proven conclusively gay and lesbian, this should be a wake up call for the
politicians. A 10% voting block would certainly be worth courting nationwide.
Corporations and other businesses realized this some time ago. Gay men have been actively and openly courted as consumers for probably at least ten years now (in the United States).

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 03:14:27 pm »
"We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?"

The number of men who admit to being gay is significantly lower than ten percent. The number of men who have, or have had, sexual relations with other males is much higher than ten percent. The percentage of human beings who are latently bisexual is probably well over fifty percent.