Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22345 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:50 pm »
I tend to think there is alot more latent bisexuality in our society.  From day 1, I think young boys and girls get msgs about what boys do and what girls do.  Hence, ppl are taught to repress whatever feelings for the same sex they might have. Same sex attraction is wrong.  That's the msg they get. Fag is still a common word on elementary school campuses though most don't even know what that is.

Presidential election survey results in the USA used to put gays at around 4%.  Some U.S. census results have shown a very small percentage of households composed of same sex couples. Probably like 1%.  However the same data showed gay couples residing in every county in the USA EXCEPT for a few counties in the OK panhandle and a few counties in UTAH.

IF a gay dna test is ever available, I wonder how many ppl who took the test would be suprised by the results. Many ppl happily married might show up as having a gay gene.

I think the gay community in the USA is about 5% of the population. The percentage of ppl homosexual is a much harder thing to gather data on.  Married gay mormons, things like that. They will never fess up.

I'm kinda late with the discussion. Hope what I've posted is new.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 04:16:34 pm »
"We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?"

The number of men who admit to being gay is significantly lower than ten percent. The number of men who have, or have had, sexual relations with other males is much higher than ten percent. The percentage of human beings who are latently bisexual is probably well over fifty percent.

I wonder if this is why so many people think homosexuality is a choice? Because they sense this bisexual tendancy within themselves, and they "choose" to be straight. And so they think it is like that for everyone. But for most gay people, we are not choosing anything. I can promise you there is not ONE shred of straightness in me. Nope. I'm not choosing it.

And I still say things will not get much better for us until society realizes and recognizes this obvious fact.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 04:29:18 pm »
I think the gay community in the USA is about 5% of the population. The percentage of ppl homosexual is a much harder thing to gather data on.  Married gay mormons, things like that. They will never fess up.

I'm kinda late with the discussion. Hope what I've posted is new.

No, you are fine Karl. Thanks for posting!  :D

But even if we are only 5 percent of the US population, this means there is 15 million of us! 5 percent may not sound like very much, but 15 million people constitutes the entire population of many countries! That's an awful lot of people to be discriminating against. I wish our US government would start thinking about people, rather than percentages. The Republicans are especially good at doing these sorts of things.  ::)  >:(

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
Off Topic....That reigndeer is so cute! Is he real?

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 05:57:12 pm »
Off Topic....That reigndeer is so cute! Is he real?

TampaTalon^">

Which one? The reindeer in my avitar? That's Rudolph! See his red nose?

Of course he's real! ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 06:10:06 pm »
Here he is Tampatalon!

I wish he would move in my avatar, but he doesn't. Isn't that cool looking? :D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
No, you are fine Karl. Thanks for posting!  :D

But even if we are only 5 percent of the US population, this means there is 15 million of us! 5 percent may not sound like very much, but 15 million people constitutes the entire population of many countries! That's an awful lot of people to be discriminating against. I wish our US government would start thinking about people, rather than percentages. The Republicans are especially good at doing these sorts of things.  ::)  >:(

5 percent is alot of ppl.  The Jewisih population of the USA is around 5%. They have a large impact despite the fact that they are not the majority religion.  A country like ours should not be judged with just how they treat their majorities, but how they treat their minorities.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 07:44:39 am »
Here he is Tampatalon!

I wish he would move in my avatar, but he doesn't. Isn't that cool looking? :D

He is beautifully done!

:)  :)  :)

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 10:19:27 am »
5 percent is alot of ppl.  The Jewisih population of the USA is around 5%. They have a large impact despite the fact that they are not the majority religion.  A country like ours should not be judged with just how they treat their majorities, but how they treat their minorities.

I think the US society should be judged as to how all citizens are treated. However,we should be especially cognizant of the weakest members of the society, children, the elderly, the handicapped. As a gay man, I do not wish to placed in any special categories, for good or ill.

In reference to the above 5% figure quoted above concerning adherents to Jewish congregations, I'd like to offer that  US Census figures show their percentage of the total population to be closer to 2%. Any group who evidence high educational attainments and higher than average income levels will have an impact on society. Self-identified US Jewish citizens are among several minorities in that category. 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »

In reference to the above 5% figure quoted above concerning adherents to Jewish congregations, I'd like to offer that  US Census figures show their percentage of the total population to be closer to 2%. Any group who evidence high educational attainments and higher than average income levels will have an impact on society. Self-identified US Jewish citizens are among several minorities in that category.  

A large number of US gay men and women also fall into this group. :)

For most gay Americans though, our problem (or rather lack of obvious impact on society) lies not with our higher incomes and advanced education, but rather our unwillingness in many cases to openly admit our sexual orientation. We continue to contribute to society, yet the rewards and benefits from our contributions are not proportional to those of other ethnic groups.

I am not talking about free handouts here. I totally agree with you. I can give you a perfect example. Due to my Native American heritage, I am entitled to certain benefits from the US government. My Dad is furious with me because I never signed up to receive any of them. Why should I? Why should I benefit from something my ancestors experienced? Yes, my ancestors were removed forcefully from their tribal lands and relocated elsewhere, and yes I am the sum total of all my ancestors, but for some reason it just feels wrong to me. I don't feel like I am entitled to it.

I think gay people want to be accepted. It's as simple as that. We would like to be treated like any other member of society. But sometimes I think it's our fault because of our refusal to openly admit who we are. Or maybe it's society's fault because of the hostility we are met with once we do come out and admit it. It's complicated. And we will never know for certain what percentage of society we are, until we feel comfortable and accepted within the American social landscape.