Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 219980 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
No friends you can party with?  :'(

(Sometimes Thanksgiving sucks when you do have family. Not in my case, I'm looking forward to dinner with the cousins, but I've heard tell.)

I'm in a strange land for a while, and don't know anybody.  So, no, just me.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
My mom and I are hosting dinner this year.  I've taken most of the week off to prepare.  Since my brother passed away suddenly earlier this year, we won't have his amazing grilled smoked turkey, and the celebration will be bittersweet because we're absent a beloved presence.  But my sister is preparing 2 birds: one jerk seasoned and the other deep fat fried.  We'll also have the usual chitterlings, ham, (no prime rib until Xmas this year) yams, collard greens, home-made dinner rolls, sweet potato pie, German chocolate cake, mac and cheese, and I don't yet know what else.

My extended family will come over, which is unusual these days.  I guess we'll just see how that goes!  ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »
Same as Sonja of course - no plans at all since we don't do Thanksgiving. On Thursday, my daughter will have her very first job interview for an internship at a hospital, and I'm gonna drive her, which will take the whole afternoon since it's not around the next corner. If she gets it, she'll have to take public transport for commuting, but for the interview I'm happy to drive her. :)

Good luck to your daughter, Chrissi!

I hope she won't be commutin' 4 hours a day...    ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2012, 04:20:51 pm »
We'll also have the usual chitterlings.

Um, I know what they are, but how, exactly, are they prepared?  ???

Geez, if I knew about your brother, I completely forgot about his passing. Yes, the first holiday afterward can be bittersweet, if not downright difficult. I know. Back in '95 we lost my mother four weeks before Christmas.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2012, 04:22:26 pm »
I've hated all Brussels sprouts I've tried in my life, but I would give them another try in a sweet-sour variation. :)

You're German and you don't like something in the cabbage family?  :o  I'm shocked!

;D  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »
Um, I know what they are, but how, exactly, are they prepared?  ???

Geez, if I knew about your brother, I completely forgot about his passing. Yes, the first holiday afterward can be bittersweet, if not downright difficult. I know. Back in '95 we lost my mother four weeks before Christmas.  :(

Jeff, I've never cooked them, but I've watched my mom cook them.  She cleans 40-50 pounds of the "guts" and that process can take hours.  After they're cleaned, she places them in this huge pot and adds chili powder, salt, celery, onions and lets them simmer for another few hours.  It looks like my sis and I will be the only ones left who will eat chitterlings in the family.  Our kids won't go near them, and as I've mentioned, my brother is gone.  By the way, thanks for your kind words regarding him.  :-*  I've never mentioned his passing except to a few in PMs. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »
Jeff, I've never cooked them, but I've watched my mom cook them.  She cleans 40-50 pounds of the "guts" and that process can take hours.  After they're cleaned, she places them in this huge pot and adds chili powder, salt, celery, onions and lets them simmer for another few hours.

Thanks. That sounds like a lot of work for hog innards.   ;D

It looks like my sis and I will be the only ones left who will eat chitterlings in the family.  Our kids won't go near them.

8)

As I've mentioned, my brother is gone.  By the way, thanks for your kind words regarding him.  :-*  I've never mentioned his passing except to a few in PMs. 

You're welcome, my dear.  :) 

I always remind myself that those we love stay with us in our hearts even when they're taken from us by death.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:16 am »
My mom and I are hosting dinner this year.  I've taken most of the week off to prepare.  Since my brother passed away suddenly earlier this year, we won't have his amazing grilled smoked turkey, and the celebration will be bittersweet because we're absent a beloved presence.  But my sister is preparing 2 birds: one jerk seasoned and the other deep fat fried.  We'll also have the usual chitterlings, ham, (no prime rib until Xmas this year) yams, collard greens, home-made dinner rolls, sweet potato pie, German chocolate cake, mac and cheese, and I don't yet know what else.

My extended family will come over, which is unusual these days.  I guess we'll just see how that goes!  ;D

I'm sorry to learn about your brother's passing. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
The first holidays without him must be hard on you, but also filled with loving memories. I hope you find peace in them. :-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

So sorry to hear about your brother's passing.

I hope you and your family will be able to enjoy Thanksgiving together, even though you'll be a loved person short.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »
Same as Sonja of course - no plans at all since we don't do Thanksgiving. On Thursday, my daughter will have her very first job interview for an internship at a hospital, and I'm gonna drive her, which will take the whole afternoon since it's not around the next corner. If she gets it, she'll have to take public transport for commuting, but for the interview I'm happy to drive her. :)

Good Luck!

Yep, no plans as no such thing as thanksgiving here.. its on Thursday?

Littlewing - sorry to hear about your brother..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/