Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 219975 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:27 pm »
Only in America would a bunny be shown about to pounce on a turkey!! Thanks, friend!

We have an old Disney Christmas cartoon where Donald and Daisy Duck, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie are all about to dig into their big Christmas feast, including a large carving knife poised to slice into the turkey.  In unison, they all say, "Oooo, turkey!"  How's that for surreal?  My little vegetarian girl is the one who pointed it out to me, I would have skipped right over it.

I'm grateful that we usually have Thanksgiving with others.  This year's experiment to have it just be the three of us proved a might lonesome, despite being a nice day with some lovely moments.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2009, 01:30:59 pm »

We have an old Disney Christmas cartoon where Donald and Daisy Duck, and Huey, Dewey, and Louie are all about to dig into their big Christmas feast,

I assume that would be Donald's nephews? Here they're called Tick, Trick and Track.

--

Ok, I just checked wikipedia. I was right with Huey, Dewey and Louie. In Danmark they're called Rip, Rap and Rup.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »
In Sweden they're called Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2009, 07:52:55 pm »
Huey, Dewey, and Louie; Tick, Trick and Track; Rip, Rap and Rup; Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte.  Who decides these things?  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:49 pm »
They're Huey, Dewey & Louie here in Oz.

As a child, I liked the way they called Donald Duck, Unca Donald.   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:10 pm »
In case anyone's wondering: the nephews are called Kwik, Kwek and Kwak in dutch.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2009, 04:04:41 pm »
Huey, Dewey, and Louie; Tick, Trick and Track; Rip, Rap and Rup; Knatte, Fnatte and Tjatte.  Who decides these things?  :)

Someone who just got off their medication...??

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 06:13:26 pm »

Someone who just got off their medication...??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Obviously!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:16 am »
hehe, friend.

My Thanksgiving was wonderful. First and foremost, my mother was with me. I picked her up on a glorious crisp afternoon and we sped north to just about the spot where everyone turned toward the west and the mountains on the BBQ trip to Estes Park. We enjoyed an early dinner with family and friends (maybe soon-to-be family!!) and then I returned my mother to her home and her dog.

Then, I went to a late T-day dinner at EDelMar's house. Although he usually goes to dinner at his siblings' homes for Thanksgiving, this year he decided to cook dinner himself! Because he has completely renovated his kitchen and was proud of it and wanted to test its performance. We had a lovely brined turkey with a well-spiced dressing, salad, roasted beets and onions, mashed potatoes, a wonderful gravy made by Offline Chuck, and all the trimmings. I brought a pumpkin pecan pie and freshly whipped cream. After dinner, we sat around the fire and chatted companionably. I got to meet some new friends...EDelMar had invited some chat buddies and guys he had met at Charlies who would have otherwise spent Thanksgiving by themselves. It was all very relaxed and friendly, just the way I like Thankgiving. And not a word of football enniwhere!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »
hehe, friend.

My Thanksgiving was wonderful. First and foremost, my mother was with me. I picked her up on a glorious crisp afternoon and we sped north to just about the spot where everyone turned toward the west and the mountains on the BBQ trip to Estes Park. We enjoyed an early dinner with family and friends (maybe soon-to-be family!!) and then I returned my mother to her home and her dog.

Then, I went to a late T-day dinner at EDelMar's house.
Although he usually goes to dinner at his siblings' homes for Thanksgiving, this year he decided to cook dinner himself! Because he has completely renovated his kitchen and was proud of it and wanted to test its performance. We had a lovely brined turkey with a well-spiced dressing, salad, roasted beets and onions, mashed potatoes, a wonderful gravy made by Offline Chuck, and all the trimmings. I brought a pumpkin pecan pie and freshly whipped cream. After dinner, we sat around the fire and chatted companionably. I got to meet some new friends...EDelMar had invited some chat buddies and guys he had met at Charlies who would have otherwise spent Thanksgiving by themselves. It was all very relaxed and friendly, just the way I like Thankgiving. And not a word of football enniwhere!!

This never fails to amaze me.  I ran into problems with some of my friends some years ago because I started receiving Thanksgiving dinner invitations for Thanksgiving Day and some of my friends didn't seem to understand that my parents (who were both alive at the time) had no understanding of spending Thanksgiving day away from family.  They expected their children to spend the entire day with them.  To leave early and go to a friend's' was, in their eyes, choosing a friend over your own family.

Sadly, some of my friends had no understanding of my dilemna with my parents' expectations and one couple were upset at a compromise I came up with.

One year my family dinner was at 3 pm, so I compromised by arriving at my friend's noon-day meal with the plan of not eating a lot and then leaving in time for my family dinner.  They were upset that I didn't eat a full plate of food plus dessert (I am 5'1" - there's only so much I can eat in one day) and that I was basically "eating and running'.

No one was happy, so I ended up sacrificing my friends for my family.  Needless to say, I no longer get Thanksgiving Day dinner invitations from friends.