Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 34876 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Favorite Christmas Songs
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 08:15:35 pm »
Thanks guys!

:)

15 degrees - brrr!

;D

(I think that may be the first time I've heard a woman sing that song...)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »
One of my recent favourites is "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLacchan.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
Christmas mood for me came yesterday evening, when somebody brought me the first christmas cookies of the year.
So this thread is just what I need today.

Gary, I loved "Carol of the Bells". I did not know this song before, but it reminded me somewhat of the soundtrack of the movie "Amelie" (I don't know what it's called in English, sorry). I loved the movie and its music, so this song was like Amelie on Christmas or something, loved it.

David, I also loved the "Hallelujah Chorus". I've sang in a choir for years, but I've not once sung that. We usually sang the more traditional, not so classical Christmas songs. (Which is probably why I don't like those too much any more.)

Susiebell, Christmas at your home must be really nice. I enjoyed all those more modern Christmas songs like "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", "Merry Christmas Everyone" and "Do They Know It's Christmas" that you posted. 
I don't generally like "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", because it gets played to death by the radio stations before Christmas even arrives, but with the video and a little more attention to the lyrics it almost made me cry.
I'm wanted to ask, whether you (or anybody else, of course) knows more about Band Aid, I am kinda curious about the end credits of the video.

A Christmas song I've always liked is "Adeste Fidelis". I'm sure there is a English version of this (just like there is a German one), but I prefer the Latin one.
I got so fond of this song, when I played it on my cello a few years ago. It's nice with the sound of a cello as well.
I know the quality of the video is crappy, but I really wanted a video with the Latin version.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kczkCO6E8uI[/youtube]
Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 07:54:04 pm »
Thanks Susiebell, it's really interesting to learn more about the whole project and the part about the "Original Band Aid" answered my question about the end credits of the video.
(Oh, and I'm far from falling asleep, I'm sick so I won't sleep much tonight. But have you fallen asleep yet?  ;))

Here's another Christmas song that I love. I prefer to hear it sung by a whole choir, because the song sounds lighter that way, but I couldn't find anything like that. (Once you listen to the song, you'll know what I mean by wishing for a "lighter sound", I think this recording sounds rather sad.)
Unfortunately, I'm totally ignorant about English Christmas songs, so here's a version with German lyrics. If there is an English one as well, I'd love to know the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWFbTXYoBk

-Auberbach-

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:18 pm »
Oh Susie,
What Memories you have brought back!
I'll never forget the firsttime I heard the song. I was 18 and driving from university to my Grandmothers for Thanksgiving and I heard this line
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
For some reason that hit me so  hard.  We take so much for granted and here are people who  don't even have water. It broke my heart.
What a great song and a great cause!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE[/youtube]
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 08:18:08 pm »
Susiebell, I edited my previous post and put the link of the video instead, because when I go to youtube the video is still there. Maybe it works better now?
(If it doesn't, I'll consider humming.  ;)  ;D)

I think the nasty tummy bug is just what I'm getting, so thanks for your get-well wishes, I need them.
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
Beautiful song .. I've never heard it before .... this sounds like a "softer" version of it ...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgXt8OnAIs&feature=related[/youtube]

Aww I hope your tummy feels better soon .... yuk tummy bugs are horrible!!!

Susie

Thanks, Susie, that's a beautiful version of the song, still very slow, but indeed softer.  :)
I thought that because the music to the song was composed by J.S.Bach, this song would be more likely to be known in other countries than other not so famous Christmas songs from here, but then again I'm not sure how many people actually know the song over here. It could just a choir piece that is not well-known to most people, I don't know.   

I'll try to sleep for a little while now, thanks again for the get-well wishes and the friendly welcome earlier today,
good night.  :)
-Auberbach-

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:04 pm »
I love this one!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fjXUk_30g[/youtube]
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:02 am »
I love John Lennon's "So this is Christmas" too ... another one that we HAVE to play on Christmas day ...

Happy Christmas(War is Over)-by John Lennon

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbdyg51MVbg&feature=related[/youtube]

Susie

I adore that one Susie..thanks for posting it.

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47:27 am »
Here is my all time favorite!!
I have  known John Berry since he was singing in  the dives in Athens GA.
This  is such a beautiful rendition of this beautiful song!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDLhJGDPUY[/youtube]