Author Topic: TOTW 17/07: Why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride when they got down the mountain?  (Read 24783 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
I think it's cause Ennis just punched his lights out!
it was a bad day all around.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
One practical reason why Jack didn't offer Ennis a ride possibly was that they were indeed heading in opposite directions, even if not for the brief moment Ang Lee showed us.

Assuming Ten Sleep is indeed Signal and Ennis turned towards Riverton, their destinations were opposite from Signal:

So even if Jack had offered Ennis a ride, it would have lasted only a few hundred meters till the next crossing.

But of course there's more to it than that. The opening question has bugged me also for a while, combined with the inevitable "What might have been....."
I think one important reason why Jack acted the way he did is given by Ang Lee himself (paraphrasing): they were both cowboys. They didn't talk about their feelings; non-verbal communication is important; and they had pride. What's true for the whole movie is also true for this scene.

I think pride was a crucial factor here. Jack already had taken the punch from Ennis earlier, and was apparently and understandably pi**ed about it. Look at his face when they descent with the sheep.
Then, while standing beside his truck, Jack is all cautious and hesitant. And he makes one last attempt when he asks Ennis whether he's going to do this again next summer. And even after Ennis's negatory answer (which wasn't totally negatory, btw) he half-tries again with "I might be back ... if the army don't get me." He leaves a door open. Ennis at least knows where to find Jack next summer if he wants to.

I think Jack has gone as far as he thought he could without begging. I think to him Ennis seemed to be determined to not keep their relationship in any form. And therefore Jack must have doubted Ennis's feelings, respectively must have assumed it was just a one-shot-thing for Ennis for the summer, as he had said before. Understandable that he didn't ask Ennis anything more, not even offer a ride.

What Jack didn't realise, imo, was that Ennis was almost as reluctant and full of doubt as Jack. He didn't say no to Jack's question of doing this again next summer, he said 'Maybe not.' And he didn't directly go after he had said "Guess I'll see you around." He lingered and waited - for what? Another word from Jack? Another try? Maybe he even hoped for a ride, no matter how short?

Ennis didn't want to go and leave Jack behind once and for all, he thought he had to. Big difference.

How do we know that Signal is Ten Sleep? Signal would be close to a one of the National Forests in Wyo. Aguirre sent the boys up to tend the sheep on 'allotments', the allotments would have to be in a National Forest. The nearest National Forest to Dubois, where they ate breakfast after shovedown, is the National Forest in the Wind River Mountains, much closer to Riverton.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Jack was confused and scared of rejection. PRIDE!  He was also in denial. I think he clearly wanted to reconnect with Ennis, look how quickly he sprang to offer Ennis a loan. Had Ennis taken the loan, he would have been compelled to reconnect with Jack.

but that ain't the way AP wanted the story to go...........

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
He was afraid Ennis would see he had stolen his shirt.  :D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Both Ennis and Jack did not yet consider themselves either bi or gay men??

Then?

Hugs!!

Scott6373

Because they were going in opposite directions.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
He was afraid Ennis would see he had stolen his shirt.  :D

Good one Tru..... ::) ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
It was a case of the misfiring spark plugs. They just couldn't quite get in sync!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

How do we know that Signal is Ten Sleep? Signal would be close to a one of the National Forests in Wyo. Aguirre sent the boys up to tend the sheep on 'allotments', the allotments would have to be in a National Forest. The nearest National Forest to Dubois, where they ate breakfast after shovedown, is the National Forest in the Wind River Mountains, much closer to Riverton.

Your map analysis makes sense, but...Ten Sleep is the closest town to Brokenback Mountain, and there are several other clues that Signal is Ten Sleep. For one thing, the most prominent geologic feature is Signal Butte, just outside of town.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Off in two directions: