Author Topic: Your thoughts on beauty pageants...  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Your thoughts on beauty pageants...
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:04:36 pm »

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
Will chime in a little later.  :)

~M

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Your thoughts on beauty pageants...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:08 pm »
I said other because it really seems to be an emercian (and canadian?) concept.

But for the most part they seem lame of what I know of them..... that clips of that girl talkign about iraq and the 50 states?? What the hell!?!

But then I guess it can produce really clever women - like Dustin & Kandice and from The Amazing Race. Both intelligent fiesty women,
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:33:19 pm »

I always cringe when it comes to the Q n A part.  Those girls all want to save mankind.    Or they just
seem to be totally an idiot..I feel sorry for them...  Its embaressing.!!

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:06:18 pm »
Here are a few thoughts I have on the subject..

* On the issue of child beauty pageants - I am strongly opposed.  The idea of dressing up kids in outrageous costumes and then allowing them to be 'judged' based on their 'beauty and/or talents' is quite disturbing to me.  I understand that some parents may feel that it is entertainment and fun for the kids but I always wonder about the kids who do not win the contests.  Do they understand that it is not to be taken seriously or do they go away believing that they are not beautiful or talented enough?

* I had this discussion on beauty pageants with a few people not long ago and someone mentioned that it is empowering in a way for women to strut their stuff in confidence or something along those lines.  Problem is, most pageants are not really open to women of all shapes and sizes, are they?  All I can say is thank goodness I don't feel the need to be empowered by standing around in a bikini and high-heels for all to see.. :P

* I voted "They are alright as long as the participants are adults" because, let's face it, if someone wishes to subject themselves to be judged by a certain standard/definition of beauty, they are free to go right ahead.  There will always be people ready and willing to watch. 

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:59 am »
There are all sorts of entertainments that people enjoy.  I don;t see this particular one as being inherently bad...anymore.  I think pageant people have tried very hard to portray the pageants as not just a cheesecake factory.  I don't  feel as though they are totally awful, but I don't care to watch them.

Pageants for children...now that's another story...they are just an abomination.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:35:19 am »
Pageants for children?  Let's not mince words, they are pageants for little girls.  The little girls are taught young how to objectify themselves, put their physical selves on display for judgment by others and worst of all, learn to care about that.  And yes, they feel really bad when they lose and someone else wins - not because they're smarter or did better on a test, but because their appearance was better and they performed better.  Society sure does like women who do tricks.  I don't see many pageants for men or little boys.   >:( >:( >:(

Little girl pageants are abominations and should be looked on with the contempt they deserve for what they teach little girls.

Adult beauty pageants?  Women beauty pageants.  Did you ever see the movie "Miss Congeniality"?

To paraphrase a couple of lines from the two main characters,

"They want to get money for college, travel, see the world..."

"So join the Marines...it's like feminism never happened."

injest

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:17:18 am »
Pageants for children?  Let's not mince words, they are pageants for little girls.  The little girls are taught young how to objectify themselves, put their physical selves on display for judgment by others and worst of all, learn to care about that.  And yes, they feel really bad when they lose and someone else wins - not because they're smarter or did better on a test, but because their appearance was better and they performed better.  Society sure does like women who do tricks.  I don't see many pageants for men or little boys.   >:( >:( >:(

Little girl pageants are abominations and should be looked on with the contempt they deserve for what they teach little girls.

Have you seen one, Del? They teach the girls to go out and shake like hookers and take articles of clothing off...(practicing for the 'pole' I am assuming) The mothers say it is for the girls..."They love it!!" then you see the girls crying and the mothers screaming at them...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:22:13 pm »
Have you seen one, Del? They teach the girls to go out and shake like hookers and take articles of clothing off...(practicing for the 'pole' I am assuming) The mothers say it is for the girls..."They love it!!" then you see the girls crying and the mothers screaming at them...

Gag.  :P

injest

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:34:40 pm »
I like going to gay strip clubs, which is basically beauty pageants for hot young men.  The winner is the one who gets the most money stuffed down his G-string.   ;D

I am not surprised.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:16 pm »

This was all succinctly put is perspective for me by a well known Australian comedian. In an endeavour to be kind, let us say that it's probably unlikely she will ever win a beauty pageant. However, having said that, she has a brilliant  brain and a rapier-sharp wit, which define her comedy stand-up technique. Before going into comedy, she was a practising lawyer. She's very smart. As part of her comedy routine, she describes how she used to get her jollies whilst working as a lawyer in downtown Sydney. At lunchtime, she would attend the various fashion parades in the big department stores in the city. She'd take a seat "ringside" and when the gorgeous, leggy models passed by on the catwalk, she'd call up at them, "Speak, ya bitch! Speak!" Knowing full-well that they didn't have the intelligence to string a sentence together to save their lives. Unkind on her part? Definitely. Sour grapes? Probably. It's true, though, that these stunningly beautiful women are not exactly known for their intelligence. Their beauty is skin-deep and it's transitory. One day, they're going to have to come to terms with the reality of surviving without their beauty to bail them out.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν