Author Topic: What Myths were we told when we were Children......  (Read 35295 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: What Myths were we told when we were Children......
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 02:45:15 pm »
Yes, I have heard that one too. Supposedly it had something to do with that a cat would jump in the crib and suck all of the air out of the baby. The thing is I have no idea why a cat would want to do that.

That was actually portrayed in a film of a Stephen King story, 'Cat's Eye' with Drew Barrymore.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »
When I was around 5 or 6 and we would eat at the luncheon counter at the
Woolworth's downtown, my mother would tell me not to eat the chewing gum
people discarded by sticking the gum on the underside of the counter because it
had disease and I would die. After a few moments of thought I asked her if the
gum under the luncheon counter at Kresge's was any better.

TampaTalon^">

Did you have Kress? Their gum under the counter was the best. It had a spicier flavor than that at Woolworths. And they had two lunch counters. One was upstairs and the other downstairs. Later on I found out why there were two lunch counters. Does anyone have any idea why there were two? We never had a Kresge that I know of. We went straight to K Mart. And no I didn't actually eat the gum under the counter at any of the places  ;D

injest

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2007, 03:39:49 pm »
Did you have Kress? Their gum under the counter was the best. It had a spicier flavor than that at Woolworths. And they had two lunch counters. One was upstairs and the other downstairs. Later on I found out why there were two lunch counters. Does anyone have any idea why there were two? We never had a Kresge that I know of. We went straight to K Mart. And no I didn't actually eat the gum under the counter at any of the places  ;D

that's good....remember the song? "My gum loses its flavor on the bedpost over night"?

preeettttyy sure it would be the same for the gum under the counter...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2007, 05:15:40 pm »
I remember Kresge's! I remember it always smelled of popcorn when I first walked in there. Their popcorn machine was always running and people would carry little bags of it around as they shopped. They also made reall good submarine sandwiches. My dad would stop by there on a Saturday and bring several of them home to us for lunch. We also had Woolworth but I didn't go there very often. It was at Glendale; too far away to ride my bike. Kresge's was at Devington shopping center, and I could ride there on my bike in about 5 minutes.

Then there was Topp's. They had a large delta shaped canopy over their entrance studded with lights. Topps was a bit like Wal-Mart or Ayr-Way (Ayr-Way is no longer here. Target bought them out in the early 1980's). Woolco was very similar to J.C. Penney.

It's a shame all those stores are gone now, especially the dime stores like Kresge's and Woolworth. Now we have Dollar stores, but they aren't nearly as interesting or fun.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2007, 05:20:56 pm »
You did know that Kresges is what became K Mart? Although it was quite a different store than the five and dime store it was the same company. For several years both existed, but the K Marts were pulling in more money so sadly Kresge went the way that Woolworth would later go. The same happened with Kress.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2007, 07:32:15 pm »
You did know that Kresges is what became K Mart? Although it was quite a different store than the five and dime store it was the same company. For several years both existed, but the K Marts were pulling in more money so sadly Kresge went the way that Woolworth would later go. The same happened with Kress.

Speaking of lunch, did anyone mention this one? If you were at the beach and ate you had to wait 30 minutes before going in the water or you would automatically drown.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2007, 07:46:16 pm »
Speaking of lunch, did anyone mention this one? If you were at the beach and ate you had to wait 30 minutes before going in the water or you would automatically drown.

TampaTalon^">

Yes! My parents told me that one! Something about getting stomach cramps and then we'd drown.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2007, 07:51:24 pm »

TampaTalon^">

Beach or swimming pool, it didn't matter. You had to wait 30 minutes after eating....sometimes 60 ...before going back in the water. God, I hated that rule.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2007, 07:56:42 pm »
Religion.

It was told to me as fact, but I've found out it's more about faith than fact.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2007, 09:07:43 pm »

What Luck! There an old boarded up Kress. designated as a protected historic landmark, downtown Tampa. I bet the luncheon counter and the gum is still there and even the gum is historic by now!

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris