Author Topic: What Myths were we told when we were Children......  (Read 35350 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: What Myths were we told when we were Children......
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2007, 04:16:11 pm »
I almost fergot this very important one. If a bird flies into yer window glass someone you know will die. If a bird falls down yer chimney lookout, someone in the house is gonna die.

TampaTalon">

I hate the dying superstitions. I never heard those about the birds. I have heard that if a knife falls into the floor, point down (ie, sticking in the floor), someone will die.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2007, 04:40:05 pm »
I hate the dying superstitions. I never heard those about the birds. I have heard that if a knife falls into the floor, point down (ie, sticking in the floor), someone will die.

L

The knife is a new one on me.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2007, 05:14:32 pm »
Here in western NC it is black-eyed peas, hog jowls, collard greens and pork roast on New Years Day. Each stands for something and I can't remember what stands for what, but Shasta here is your problem. The collard greens mean money so if you haven't been having those that is why you are not rich with money. Of course, I have had them every year I have been alive and I haven't found the money yet either  :) I've never heard of the rice, beans or kraut though

Same in Texas, except for the pork roast and we add cornbread.  But I'm not fond of jowls or collard greens or tripe, so I just get sausage.  I bought my cans of black-eye peas six weeks ago.  Because while you can always find cornbread mix and sausages, the stores sometimes run out of black-eye peas.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2007, 05:17:04 pm »
Hog jowl, fried to a crispy crunch, is delicious! It probably clogs up an artery as soon as you swallow it, but it is still delicious.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2007, 09:07:22 pm »
Same in Texas, except for the pork roast and we add cornbread.  But I'm not fond of jowls or collard greens or tripe, so I just get sausage.  I bought my cans of black-eye peas six weeks ago.  Because while you can always find cornbread mix and sausages, the stores sometimes run out of black-eye peas.  :)

I forgot the cornbread. Yes, we have the cornbread here too. It sounds like Texas and North Carolina have similar New Years Day traditions  :) And sometimes people put what they call chitlins in the cornbread.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2007, 11:17:29 pm »

That's new to me, too.  I do know that for as long as I can remember, whenever mom would drop a fork to the floor, she would say that means that company is coming over.

To this day, if a fork hits the floor, she shouts out "Company's coming!"

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2007, 12:27:17 am »
Hog jowl, fried to a crispy crunch, is delicious! It probably clogs up an artery as soon as you swallow it, but it is still delicious.

Wow, I bet it is good that way.  Any kind of fried pork fat - aka Pork Rinds - is always a treat.  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2007, 12:44:21 am »
Wow, I bet it is good that way.  Any kind of fried pork fat - aka Pork Rinds - is always a treat.  ;D

My grandmother always boiled it and I didn't like it very much. I'd eat one bite just to say I'd had it for New Year's Day, but that's it! Then I started having NYD dinner with my cousin, and she fried it. MUCH better that way. I wanted more! It's kinda like a really salty bacon.   ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2007, 01:00:16 am »
If you swallow your gum it will take 10 years to digest. Has anyone mentioned that one yet?

Or if you swallow seeds, a plant will grow in your stomach.

Shasta, boiled pork sounds TERRIBLE!! I don't blame you for not wanting to eat it. My Mother sometimes boiled fish. It was awful. And I don't like fish anyway, so you can just imagine...

We call baked or fried pork fat cracklins around here. Very popular during New Year's. Also black eyed peas. Up in the northern part of the state they will eat sauerkraut on NYD, but in the central and southern parts pork, cracklins and black eye peas are popular.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2007, 03:09:38 am »
Heres a couple more about spilling or dropping things....

If you spill sugar, it is supposed to mean  joy to you

and if you spill salt, you have to throw a little bit over your shoulder for luck
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection