Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 73224 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:09:34 pm »
This topic is an outgrowth of Toycoon's craft corner. I don't know much about tarot, so I hope those who do will pitch in with ideas. My first question is, what should be the four suits? In the classic tarot deck, Cups is the water-oriented suit, Pentangles (disks) is the earth-oriented suit, Swords is air, and Wands is fire.

I definitely think Wands should be changed to Guns, and maybe Cups should stay the way it is. What say you? Any nominations for Swords and Pentangles?

Later Edit: If you are discussing a particular card, please put the name of the card in the subject line to help me gather all your thoughts when designing the cards. Thank you!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:13:35 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:35:07 pm »
I'd suggest rope for swords, and pans for the pentangles.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:31:26 pm »
I definitely think Wands should be changed to Guns, and maybe Cups should stay the way it is. What say you? Any nominations for Swords and Pentangles?

Cups should changed to Cans (of beans)!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:35 pm »
Cans, pans, ropes and guns...

nice alliteration there...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 07:54:47 pm »
Cans, pans, ropes and guns...

nice alliteration there...

L

I think Rifles should replace Swords for sure
I kinda like Cups to remain cups as in tin cups of coffee, but cans of beans is good too.
Rods or Wands become Ropes?  Am I right?
Pentacles become Frying Pans?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:29 pm »
I'm leafing through my Tarot book (Mastering the Tarot  by Eden Gray) and here are some thogughts for the first third of teh amjor Arcana:

The Fool = Jack

Hear me out:  The Fool represents the beginning of all creativity and the desire to accomplish impossibly beautiful goals.  Here are all the joys and possibilities of adventure.  Each of us faces many choices in life.  A fresh choice is before yoyu - choose wisely.

The Hierophant = Ennis

Need to conform.  The importance of being socially approved, especially by one's own group.  Bondage to the conventions of society.  Preference for the outer forms of religion. (OK the last sentence, not so much)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:22:47 pm »
I think Rifles should replace Swords for sure
I kinda like Cups to remain cups as in tin cups of coffee, but cans of beans is good too.
Rods or Wands become Ropes?  Am I right?
Pentacles become Frying Pans?

I said ropes for swords and was thinking of "air" and picturing lariats being thrown through the air.

And pans, yes, pans, as in cooking pans, cooking, being part of the earth, sharing community...The scenes of Jack and Ennis cooking and eating together gave me a sense of earthiness.

But I am just brainstorming here....

While I understand the "guns" and "rifles" symbolism, I am less than thrilled with it, but that's me.

L

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 08:31:01 pm »
I said ropes for swords and was thinking of "air" and picturing lariats being thrown through the air.

And pans, yes, pans, as in cooking pans, cooking, being part of the earth, sharing community...The scenes of Jack and Ennis cooking and eating together gave me a sense of earthiness.

But I am just brainstorming here....

While I understand the "guns" and "rifles" symbolism, I am less than thrilled with it, but that's me.

L

I get it now, I was too excited.  So it's Rifles for Wands then, since Wands represent Fire.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 08:46:14 pm »
I don't have any suggestions, but this certainly sounds interesting. I will continue to stay tuned in.

Jack

Offline oilgun

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 08:52:44 pm »
This is fun!

I'm just throwing out some obvious ones:

The Chariot = Pickup Truck

Success, victory through hard work; the well-balanced life.  Triumph over ill health, money difficulties, or enemies of any sort.  Aresposible nature, An ability to resist temptation.  Travel in comfort.

Jack's pickup trucks became more expensive and flashy as the story progressed.

The World = Brokeback Mountain

Fulfillment of all desires. Reward; assured success.  Freedom to move ahead in all undertakings.  The ability to make others happy.  Change of home or means of livelihood; travel.  Arrival at a state of cosmic consciousness.  The path of liberation.