Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 74101 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE EMPEROR
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »
Okay, great! I agree with you about Lureen as Venus, uh, The Empress. But I want you to promise to keep an open mind when we get to the Emperor. Janice, we are not quite ready for the Kings/Princes, but I will keep that in mind. The next card is The Emperor. We are cautioned not to think of the Emperor as the opposite of The Empress. On this card we see armor and a stone throne. The Waite deck calls this the card of possibility and a task or trial assigned while in the desert. This card is associated with Aries. It refers to the power we possess within ourselves, the potential to discover, and to achieve new possibilities in life and love. So, what should be pictured on the card The Emperor??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »
On this card we see armor and a stone throne. The Waite deck calls this the card of possibility and a task or trial assigned while in the desert. This card is associated with Aries. It refers to the power we possess within ourselves, the potential to discover, and to achieve new possibilities in life and love. So, what should be pictured on the card The Emperor??

Sounds like Monroe to me.  Or if it doesn't have to be gender correct, Alma.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE EMPEROR
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:00 am »
Okay, great! I agree with you about Lureen as Venus, uh, The Empress. But I want you to promise to keep an open mind when we get to the Emperor. Janice, we are not quite ready for the Kings/Princes, but I will keep that in mind. The next card is The Emperor. We are cautioned not to think of the Emperor as the opposite of The Empress. On this card we see armor and a stone throne. The Waite deck calls this the card of possibility and a task or trial assigned while in the desert. This card is associated with Aries. It refers to the power we possess within ourselves, the potential to discover, and to achieve new possibilities in life and love. So, what should be pictured on the card The Emperor??

That sounds like Brokeback to me..Where they found all those possibilities playing out. Along with the weather, and the things that brought them together.   .Or does it have to be a person.  Could it be the spirit of the mountain.?

Beautiful mind

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2008, 03:27:51 am »
Aguirre as Emperor?

And in case I'm not back in time - Earl as Hierophant?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- RECAP
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2008, 10:36:59 am »
Okay, here is what we've got so far. On some of these, we may have a poll shortly!

THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe

Also, I'd like to suggest Ennis here, because I like to think of him as The Emperor of Wyoming (song by Neil Young). The armor and stone throne also seem to fit him. Also he had all the possibilities before him...

Next up, THE LOVERS

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE LOVERS
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2008, 03:48:14 pm »
My suggestion for this would be

Ennis and Jack

(duh!)

Here is some more info from Tarot Basics:

As long as you are searching for your "better half" you are in danger of being only half a person. Additionally, when two "halves" come together, love is only a half-hearted affair. You also need to find out how relevant the concept of "love between equals" is for you. Are you still searching for someone just like you? If you are looking for a person with whom you are in total agreement, who understands you completely, you will find only one person--yourself.

The more pronounced the differences, the more fruitful the relationship! As soon as we are able to love the differences between us, a new paradise opens its doors! Love based on the individuality and uniqueness of two human beings finds fulfullment ... in experiences that fo way beyond what a single individual can attain. Therefore, the mandate here is twofold: praise the differences and reach for new heights.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE CHARIOT
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2008, 06:52:03 pm »
The next card is ... THE CHARIOT!

The pickup truck has been nominated for this. Anybody disagree?

I just may happen to have a pic or two of this old jalopy around somewheres!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2008, 01:38:54 am »
Hey Lee, we've skipped a couple.  Typically, this is the order and numbering of the major arcana cards:

0      The Fool      
1      The Magician      
2      The High Priestess      
3      The Empress      
4      The Emperor      
5      The Hierophant      
6      The Lovers      
7      The Chariot      
8      Strength      
9      The Hermit      
10      The Wheel of Fortune      
11      Justice
12      The Hanged Man
13      Death
14      Temperance
15      The Devil
16      The Tower
17      The Star
18      The Moon
19      The Sun
20      Judgement
21      The World

So we're missing 0 and 5.  Also, could we wait on the poll til we have all the ideas submitted?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE HIEROPHANT
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2008, 10:15:41 am »
You're right, we missed the Hierophant. But in Tarot Basics, the Fool comes last. So, this post asks for ideas for THE HIEROPHANT.

Also called the High Priest, the person on this card has the ability to interpret the secrets of life and to organize the practice of rites and rituals. This card calls you to integrate your strengths and weaknesses to get in touch with your quintessential self. That's why the pentagram appears on the card and it is number V in the deck.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE HIEROPHANT (HIGH PRIEST)
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2008, 05:37:45 pm »
I would like this process to go faster. Just reply with whatever is on the tips of your fingers after you read the description. No instruction manual needed!!

I'm beginning to think it might be best to move this into Chez Tremblay.

Soliciting ideas for THE HIEROPHANT now. It's also called THE HIGH PRIEST.