Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 73255 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 06:32:34 pm »
My deck's description for Hierophant says:  One who leads one away from too worldly concerns.  Possibility of marriage or alliance of some kind.

I suggest Randall.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 10:35:20 pm »
For the Hierophant, I suggested Aguirre. He also provides the "official" union between Jack and Ennis (via employment)
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- The Hierophant
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2008, 11:51:56 am »
What a fantastic idea - Brokeback Mountain is so rich with symbolism for this.  What did we decide which card the Mountain itself would be?  I see the mountain as setting everything in motion, making the beautiful relationship betweent Jack and Ennis possible, watching over them, blessing them, and a refuge for them.  That's like a High Priest, isn't it?  This card is the bridge between Heaven and Earth - I have always seen Jack as "the Sky" all in blue, and Ennis "the Earth" in earthy colors, and their natures fit that as well.  Just my first thoughts -

According to Wikipedia, Hierophant literally means "the one who teaches the holy things", and I can't think of anything more holy than bringing two souls together to love as Ennis and Jack were.

"Some authorities say that the Hierophant generally represents assistance, friendship, good advice, alliances (including marriages), and religious interests. Reversed; it often refers to bad advice, lies, and persecution.

Others say that it represents the first level of understanding. When it appears in a tarot spread, it is a warning to the Querant to reexamine his or her understanding of the meaning of things; of the structure of the world; of the powers that be. Watch out for hypocrisy."

Just some second thoughts!  :)

PC  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-RECAP
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2008, 12:05:42 pm »
Great ideas, everyone! Okay, time for a daily recap:

THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe, Ennis
THE HIEROPHANT: The mountain, Aguirre, Randall
THE LOVERS: Jack and Ennis
THE CHARIOT: Pickup truck

I would also like to make two suggestions for the Hierophant, Larry McMurtry and Jack. Next up is VIII/XI: Strength/Adjustment/Justice. But you can also make comments about earlier cards. Just put the name of the card you're addressing in the subject line so I can find it.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- The Chariot
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2008, 12:11:22 pm »
I love the idea of the pickup truck as The Chariot!  :)

PC
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Strength/Adjustment/Justice
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:31 pm »
Me, too, passionscowboys!!

A little more about the next card: It covers how we deal with right and wrong, what course we choose in dealing with the multitude of desires, goals, needs and expectations around us. Obstacles, barriers. Honesty. Careful investigation to reach better judgements.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2008, 02:30:17 pm »
STRENGTH is often showing a woman holding a lion, taming the wild beast, we might say.  It is also one of the first cards of the major arcana to show an event, rather than focusing on a specific person.

In the film we see this event take place when Jack drives away from Ennis... It took an amazing amount of inner power to do that, and we see it play across his features in such a painful, poignant way that we offer wonder where that strength come from.

I think an image of Jack looking in the side rear-view mirror at Ennis as the two separate might be ideal.

Likewise we see this scene followed by Ennis's strong emotional reaction to Jack's departure.

THE HERMIT does focus upon a person, but I think this might be more of an event. Ennis's sudden loneliness and his emotional reaction are pivotal focal points of the Hermit Card: Isolation and Search For Truth.

THE WHEEL is often represented in the medium of film by a montage of events, usually, rapidly flowing through the seasons. Ennis's wedding and the following marital bliss (several years of adjustment in the long run), could very well fit this archetype. Symbolically, I would suggest the wedding ring as the focal point of the card, and perhaps a series of events around it. 
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE HERMIT
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 07:59:48 pm »
I like the way you think, Daniel!! Okay, let's move forward...

This is usually depicted as an old man holding a lantern.

The light heals and blesses the earth, bringing it to a state of innocence. We also need to remove the shadows of the past, present, and future.

This figure represents the person who solves the problem and finishes the task without sweeping anything under the rug, regardless of what the task is.

I would like to nominate Ma Twist for this card.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- RECAP
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 12:51:21 pm »
THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe, Ennis
THE HIEROPHANT: The mountain, Aguirre, Randall, Larry McMurtry, Jack
THE LOVERS: Jack and Ennis
THE CHARIOT: Pickup truck
STRENGTH/ADJUSTMENT/JUSTICE: The parting
THE HERMIT: Ennis's isolation, Ma Twist
THE WHEEL: Four years apart, Wedding rings

Okay, let's finish up the major arcana by tomorrow. Next up is STRENGTH/LUSTCaution/JUSTICE

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-STRENGTH/LUST/JUSTICE
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »
This card deals with sexuality. The Waite deck depicts blue mountains for the marriage between heaven and earth. It has to do with energy, lust, and strength, the ability to focus personal energies and joys to live life to the fullest.