Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 73263 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-The Devil
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2008, 09:23:20 pm »
Tarot Basics says some very interesting things about The Devil.

In addition to the unique gifts that each person brings to the world, we also bring characteristics that don't fit into the norm, and thus remain in the dark. But when The Devil card is drawn, the taboo is lifted and these characteristics are out in the open. The Devil can represent a vampire, or a heavy burden that has made life intolerable. Thus, you can now shed this shadow because you realise your true nature. The Devil also represents The Orphan, the part of you that you have ignored despite the fact that you secretly long to acknowledge it. Whenever you bring light into darkness, the vampire disintegrates into dust and the orphan gains form and color.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- Temperance/Art and Death Cards
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2008, 10:10:43 pm »
Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head -

The Death Card - the last Postcard stamped with "Deceased"

Temperance/Art - Ennis' night fire viewed by Jack from a distance - that beautiful scene in the film and the one so beautifully described by Annie Proulx in the short story as - "Jack, in his dark camp, saw Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain."  This is one of my favorite lines fromt he story, and I always see it as when the "transformation" began, at least for Jack, when he may have first become aware of his feelings for Ennis.

These are literal, but can represent the figurative too.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-The Devil
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2008, 10:54:29 pm »
Those are great ideas, passions! What do you think about the Bikers for THE DEVIL??

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- The Devil Card
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2008, 11:01:13 pm »
Wow, great idea - I forgot about The Bikers!  Where there are two of them, it's especially good if it's a dual natured type card?  Ennis gave them what-for too, didn't he? ;)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE DEVIL
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2008, 11:05:10 pm »
Janice sees Aguirre as THE DEVIL and I can see that too.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck- The Devil Card
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2008, 11:27:05 pm »
Yes, I can definitely see Aguirre as that.   Or Old Man Newsome or Twist.  ;)
~Rachel Carson~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2008, 12:26:03 am »
Ennis's father could be the DEVIL, too.  He certainly represents the dark side of man.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-RECAP
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2008, 10:49:48 am »
I'm loving all these ideas! Okay, here's a Monday morning recap:

THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe, Ennis
THE HIEROPHANT: The mountain, Aguirre, Randall, Larry McMurtry, Jack
THE LOVERS: Jack and Ennis
THE CHARIOT: Pickup truck
STRENGTH/ADJUSTMENT/JUSTICE: The parting
THE HERMIT: Ennis's isolation, Ma Twist
THE WHEEL: Four years apart, Wedding rings
STRENGTH/LUSTCaution/JUSTICE: The mountain, the tent
THE HANGED MAN: Tire iron/Earl
DEATH: The Last Postcard, Old Man Twist
TEMPERANCE/ART: Ennis's Night Fire,
THE DEVIL: Ennis's father, Aguirre, Old Man Twist, L.D. Newsome, The Bikers

The last few cards that we'll be discussing are THE TOWER, THE STAR, THE MOON, THE SUN, JUDGMENT/THE AEON, THE WORLD, and THE FOOL. As before, I'll write a little about each one to help us decide. Thank you for your thoughts! Also, don't forget to vote on Tarot card styles!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE TOWER
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2008, 04:10:23 pm »
This is a really interesting card. It represents two distinct archetypes: the Tower of Babel and the Pentecost. The tower is the distinctively male capacity to use force and delusions of grandeur. Because of these traits, the tower was destroyed and a common language was lost. People no longer understand each other.

The Pentacost was the opposite: tongues of flame appeared, the disciples began to speak and all who heard them understood because they heard in their own language. When you draw this card, there is no middle of the road. A crisis may be near, as well as the opportunity to use all of our powerful energies to surmount the barriers. "The more deliberately you use these powerful energies, the better you protect yourself from forceful, unreasonable demands" says Tarot Basics.

This seems to be describing the scene at the Twist house where Ennis confronts Old Man Twist, is comforted and guided by Ma Twist, and finds the solace of the shirts.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE STAR
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »
The Star is another card that has a dual nature (in fact pretty much all of them do). It exhorts you to let go of false inhibitions in order to open yourself up to your own truth. But the card can also be a warning against brazenness. Water appears in some versions of the card, which symbolizes the soul. The water can either be lifting up the soul and carrying it with strength, or it can be shutting off, turning to ice. This is a danger when a person is suffering from narcissistic self-love or a long-lost love for a distant "star."

This card encourages you to melt your frozen feelings and keep the life of your soul flowing. Dispose of hopes AND fears, as the woman holding two pitchers illustrates on the card. Realize your dreams and deal with fears through conscious attention, letting it flow effortlessly through your whole being.

To me, this brings to mind LaShawn and Randall.