Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 139352 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
and a second bonus chapter of the weekend, chapter 39:

I hope this is a nice distraction from the grief of this terrible week:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/246701.html  Chapter 39
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2008, 06:40:07 pm »
Thank you, Louise. It is a good distraction, yes. Thanks for that.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2008, 06:47:53 pm »
and a second bonus chapter of the weekend, chapter 39:

I hope this is a nice distraction from the grief of this terrible week:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/246701.html  Chapter 39

You spoil us, Louise.  Yes, a terrible week, for sure.   :'(   And a good distraction.

SPOILERS

These last two chapters are terrific.  Are you sure you haven't been hanging around police stations?   ;) 

I'm itching to hop on a plane to Tourmaline and bang some heads together because Ellery, Jeremy and Paula are annoying me. 

Jeremy is right - Ellery does hate women.  And he enjoys insulting Paula.  And he needs to knock it off.  He is very lucky, I'm not the A.D.A.  ;D

Ellery is right - Jeremy is being a chump.  I'm glad he and Paula have a truce of sorts.  It's better all around if they are pleasant and have a good working relationship, but he's going to send the wrong message if he goes too far with that, or if he tries to apologize or comfort her.  That's not his place. 

And Paula.....sheesh.  I know she's (relatively) young.  But for Chrissakes, you can't ever admit that a professional colleague intimidates you!  Going back to the office and complaining to Mel is wrong on so many levels.  She can call her girlfriend (was it Mary?) the next time and bitch all she wants, privately.  But professionally, she has to grow a backbone and let Ellery have it but good the next time he pulls that crap on her.  He's never going to respect her otherwise. 

Ahh...I feel better now!   ;D  And I'm dying to hear this Paula/Jeremy phone conversation!  Great job, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
I can tell you what I have been doing, Marie, I have been rereading the brilliant police procedural, 'Looking for Answers.'  Now at the risk of being caught out congratulating myself and kissing myself in the mirror, I have spent several MONTHS editing 'Taking Chances' and have concluded that it really needed the editing that Leslie and I gave it.  But I am working on the first major edit of 'Looking for Answers' and am deeply relieved (as well as delighted) to find it in excellent shape! 

Recently I have felt somewhat uncomfortable with the story, particularly in getting point A to meet up with point B, chapter 1 when it finally converged in the present with the back story getting to Leon's arrest.

But now that I am past that point (and editing Looking for Answers) I have felt the path is clear once more and it has been easy and joyful to write again.

thank goodness for that.  I don't know how people who haven't got these creative outlets deal with situations like the death of a favorite actor.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:52:23 am by louise van hine »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2008, 12:39:07 am »
But now that I am past that point (and editing Looking for Answers) I have felt the path is clear once more and it has been easy and joyful to write again.

thank goodness for that.  I don't know how people who haven't got these creative outlets deal with situations like the death of a favorite actor.

If we are fortunate, we have a creative person like yourself to help us process our grief through writing (& rewriting) comforting, respectful fiction. A million thanks for leading me down a path that seems to be taking me in the right direction.
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2008, 01:40:21 am »
awwww now I'm all shy!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:58 am »
If we are fortunate, we have a creative person like yourself to help us process our grief through writing (& rewriting) comforting, respectful fiction. A million thanks for leading me down a path that seems to be taking me in the right direction.

That's right Fran!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2008, 02:59:12 am »
You spoil us, Louise.  Yes, a terrible week, for sure.   :'(   And a good distraction.

SPOILERS

These last two chapters are terrific.  Are you sure you haven't been hanging around police stations?   ;) 

I'm itching to hop on a plane to Tourmaline and bang some heads together because Ellery, Jeremy and Paula are annoying me. 

Jeremy is right - Ellery does hate women.  And he enjoys insulting Paula.  And he needs to knock it off.  He is very lucky, I'm not the A.D.A.  ;D

Ellery is right - Jeremy is being a chump.  I'm glad he and Paula have a truce of sorts.  It's better all around if they are pleasant and have a good working relationship, but he's going to send the wrong message if he goes too far with that, or if he tries to apologize or comfort her.  That's not his place. 

And Paula.....sheesh.  I know she's (relatively) young.  But for Chrissakes, you can't ever admit that a professional colleague intimidates you!  Going back to the office and complaining to Mel is wrong on so many levels.  She can call her girlfriend (was it Mary?) the next time and bitch all she wants, privately.  But professionally, she has to grow a backbone and let Ellery have it but good the next time he pulls that crap on her.  He's never going to respect her otherwise. 

Ahh...I feel better now!   ;D  And I'm dying to hear this Paula/Jeremy phone conversation!  Great job, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie

Well, you've said it all Marie. Can I join you on that plane to Tourmaline?  ;D

You know, about Paula growing that backbone, I was thinking, when Ellery was a rookie he had Wes to help him do that (hmmm, not sure 'growing a backbone' ever applied to Ellery, but you know, Wes was there and still is to 'reign him in'  ;D sorry Ellery) and now Ellery is doing the same for Jeremy, looking out for him.

So, who's going to give Paula a hand with this? She clearly needs it.

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2008, 12:39:12 pm »
I have to smile at the thought of Marie swooping into the police station & knocking some heads together after Sunday's updates.

But I think that all three of them (Ellery/Paula/Jeremy) are going through some growing pains. Each have had major life changes in the past year. (I don't know if we ever heard why Paula left the big city for much smaller Tourmaline, but there must be a story there) They need to find a way to "gel" as a team & start presenting a united front when they are offering plea bargains & planning how they will proceed on these cases. I secretly love seeing them "hash it out" in front of the "perps" but they need to be more professional. I think that with some effort on all their parts they can become a "bitchin"  ;) trio!!

Paula needs to find a way to get Ellery to respect her. He may not "like" women but there are women that he respects (Edna & Carol for sure). Paula's complaining to her boss who then goes to Wes is not the ticket there. What would catch Ellery's attention & make him look past her anatomy & see her as a colleague?? (I, of course, don't have the answer but I'll bet Louise may!!)

And I think that Fabienne is right. Ellery is trying to do for Jeremy what Wes did for him when he was a rookie (& still does!!) But Ellery has such a heavy hand, subtle is not in his vocab!! lol!
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2008, 01:50:15 pm »

But Ellery has such a heavy hand, subtle is not in his vocab!! lol!

:laugh:

Ain't that the truth!