Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 139308 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2007, 06:19:42 pm »
.... and without further ado... chapter 18.  http://louisev.livejournal.com/241105.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2007, 10:23:12 pm »
.... and without further ado... chapter 18.  http://louisev.livejournal.com/241105.html

SPOILERS

“Just like Edna, I told ya,” Wes said, and Colson shot him a look.

LOL!  I think Colson liked being compared to Edna as much as Ellery liked being called Wes's "prize stallion!"

Just where is this $50,000?  They do seem to be on to something with the blackmailing theory, especially in light of those rather illuminating pictures of Amos!

It's not every day you hear two people react so unenthusiastically about being left millions of dollars.  Quite touching, actually.  Perhaps Stew will suggest a philanthropic foundation of some kind and/or an endowment to an existing institution or organization in addition to Ellery's bequests to Colson and Wes.  Lord knows there's enough to spread around!  LOL!

And I'm glad to hear Wes keep pushing the island vacation idea!  Thanks, Louise!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2007, 03:38:13 am »

Perhaps Stew will suggest a philanthropic foundation of some kind and/or an endowment to an existing institution or organization in addition to Ellery's bequests to Colson and Wes. 

I like that idea.

And I love Colson taking care of his man (Wes is right, just like Edna!  :)) even though he's still angry with him. So, Wes, not too much talking about that holiday, okay? The boys have got some hair combing and making up to do!  8)

Thanks Louise. These regular updates are just fantastic.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
and here is chapter 19!!!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/241373.html

Taking a break from "un-decorating," and look what I find!  :)

SPOILERS

It was nice to see that Ellery is beginning to appreciate Paula more.  Interesting that Amos gives details about the money being "in hundreds" and in a "brown leather bag."  But that doesn't tell us where the money came from or where it is - and why is Amos so certain that the money would still be at Lang's mother's house?  Hmmmm...more bits and pieces to ponder.

Ellery having another dizzy spell scared me! The entire Amos/Brotherhood matter is understandably not just another case to him.  I'm glad he had Jeremy call Colson, though (hugs Colson - he must've been beside himself).   But, OMG, Louise - why should I be surprised when you surprise me?  I love the idea of Ellery and the relaxation tapes! LOL!  The mind (and especially Ellery's) is a powerful thing, indeed!

Great chapter, Louise!  Thanks.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2008, 12:01:31 pm »
I really do appreciate all the comments!

now poor Ellery is going to have to resort to protein shakes and "new age mumbo jumbo"!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2008, 12:15:49 pm »
I really do appreciate all the comments!

now poor Ellery is going to have to resort to protein shakes and "new age mumbo jumbo"!

Yeah, gone are the days of shots of Glenfiddle and cuban cigars...

That new age mumbo jumbo book doesn't have a chapter on hair combing, does it?

Just asking, you know...  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:12 pm »
hahahaha!

Do you know that when I first started writing "Taking Chances"  the most common negative feedback I got about Ellery as a character was that he smoked cigars and drank whiskey?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »
Really?

The thing I was worried about reading the beginning of the saga was the fact that Ellery was taking medication and drinking. But the drinking itself? That fitted with how Ellery was at the beginning of the story.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2008, 02:07:05 pm »
Really?

The thing I was worried about reading the beginning of the saga was the fact that Ellery was taking medication and drinking. But the drinking itself? That fitted with how Ellery was at the beginning of the story.

that was Ellery's famous "home brew" - Percodan and Glenfiddich.