Author Topic: TOTW 19/07: Why couldn't Jack learn to just be happy with things as they were af  (Read 30881 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks all of you!!

May I pose some questions concerning: As Ennis himself says, "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity."

1. That is said by Ennis in the movie. It is so too in Annie's book?

2. Of course, Jack in the movie was not to be just happy talking with Ennis and tried to seduce him. Did Jack say that there and then As Ennis himself says, "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity."

... I (Jack) too am an virgin?

Must go... see you later,

hugs!!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
That is a good point, in effect Ennis is admitting that he is a virgin. Macho culture does carry a lot of braggadocio in it, but he trusted Jack enough to admit that he was inexperienced. 

Yes,they both trusted in each other enough to open-specially Ennis-more than ever;and I think this is one of the reasons why their friendship became something deeper,because they needed above all some warmth,not in a sexual sense only...But in this concrete scene,I think that Ennis is clearly "flirting" already with  Jack-look at the glance he took on this last,to his face and to his "opportunities"... :laugh: -.What is your opinion about?.-
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Artiste

Thanks myprivatejack!!

You say: Ennis is clearly "flirting" already with  Jack-look at the glance he took on this last,to his face and to his "opportunities"...  -.What is your opinion about?.-

Myprivatejack, I think like you do: that Ennis does flirt with Jack then... since he says that he is a virgin and had no opportunity. I tend to think also that he flirts with Jack right at the begginig of the movie!! What do you think?

Hugs!! May all Ennis' and Jacks have/had the opportunity to flirt before, during and/or after New Year Day 2008!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Yes,they both trusted in each other enough to open-specially Ennis-more than ever;and I think this is one of the reasons why their friendship became something deeper,because they needed above all some warmth,not in a sexual sense only...But in this concrete scene,I think that Ennis is clearly "flirting" already with  Jack-look at the glance he took on this last,to his face and to his "opportunities"... :laugh: -.What is your opinion about?.-

I like your "practical" approach to analyzing the movie and the short story.

You are exactly correct, many actions which some may interpret as "romantically" inspired just may be a practical solutions to problems encountered when one camps in the wild. The first tent scene is an excellent example, Ennis's primary motivation at first was warmth, later on that same cold night, loneliness and Jack's availability motivated him to follow thru on Jack's sexual overture.

Offline Artiste

The focus in not only on sex!!

Sex is only one way to love and to be loved!!

Jack tried to be just happy with sex and, too, without it!! Much more is to be said and discovered!!

His love was not stagnant, neither was Ennis'!! Love can never be that! So what is it with Jack??

Hugs!!

May each day be a welcoming surprise of Gay Joys for you and for all on Earth!!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
Thanks myprivatejack!!

You say: Ennis is clearly "flirting" already with  Jack-look at the glance he took on this last,to his face and to his "opportunities"...  -.What is your opinion about?.-

Myprivatejack, I think like you do: that Ennis does flirt with Jack then... since he says that he is a virgin and had no opportunity. I tend to think also that he flirts with Jack right at the begginig of the movie!! What do you think?

Hugs!! May all Ennis' and Jacks have/had the opportunity to flirt before, during and/or after New Year Day 2008!!
Yes,in the first scenes together there´s a glance´s game altogether with other signs of body´s language that can make us say they´re flirting.But for me is much clearer in Jack´s case,because I think Ennis just is feeling a little embarrassed before the other boy´s  boldness and a little of arrogance.I´ve hardly thought before that Ennis was feeling attracted by Jack-at least consciously-as it was on the contrary case,not at first sight...I´ve rather thought that both of them,in a greater or lesser measure,were "marking their own territory",I mean; work was surely difficult to find in that environment and time,a work with Aguirre that Jack was going to repite for the second year.Perhaps both of them were thinking also that the other boy was going to take his place in this work,more stilll Jack,who already counted with Aguirre´s trust,as it´s supposed.And this need for a job also would mark their first instants together,beyong a simple sexual attraction,that,I repite,there was more in Jack than in Ennis then.Does this make sense?.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
I like your "practical" approach to analyzing the movie and the short story.

You are exactly correct, many actions which some may interpret as "romantically" inspired just may be a practical solutions to problems encountered when one camps in the wild. The first tent scene is an excellent example, Ennis's primary motivation at first was warmth, later on that same cold night, loneliness and Jack's availability motivated him to follow thru on Jack's sexual overture.

Thanks you very much again for your kind words¡ But what I referred to was to "human warmth",in all senses:including sex,but also trust,affection,friendship,companionship,somebody to talk to and who hears to you...any senses of human needs.And also practically and romantically speaking,yes.I meant,therefore,that their needs in all their lives senses made them get closer to the other;because,as Artiste says very well -thanks¡- :The focus in not only on sex!!Sex is only one way to love and be loved¡.For me the "practical" need to be warm in the cold night on the mountain was united to the others you say about feeling lonely and being available to a sexual encounter;aren't all them a kind of saying:-"I'm lonely,I FEEL lonely and I need some human touch; my body and my soul are cold?".

Offline Artiste

Thanks myprivatejack!!

Your comments are very, very interesting!!

Your details are numerous which can help us all surely since we need to think about sex as love as well as your other details: someone to talk to and who hears you, companionship, friendship, affection, trust, as you say. May I add: openness... as I guess that you state that too?

There are many other human senses that others here and you, can add?? Please do.

All this, brings to mind: details. And maybe that is what Jack wanted too: all those facets of love: which you detail?? That is one reason or more reasons why Jack can not just be happy the way things are. What do you thnnk?

Love is wondrous, and many, many, many things.... one desires more of it.
Like eating more ice cream??

Example: my past lover did not want me at first. (I think he just relied on sex with another man! ?) So I continued to communicate with him. So months after our meetings, sex, plus, he stated: You are the best thing I need!! I was surprised and happy. Much more can be said. Now, both of us continued not being just happy as things were, as well as that too!!

What do you think? Why be just content the way things are, as Jack wanted more?

Hugs!!   Must go... and will return. Happy New Year to youand to all on Bettermost and on Earth!!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´

Offline Artiste

Thanks myprivatejack, and thanks to all!!

All of you have made my 2007 year enjoyable, and even this New Year's Eve!!

Like Jack in the Brokeback Mountain movie, we can not be just happy with things the way they are, so we can and do better them on Bettermost, by sharing our thoughts!!

May I wish you, and to all, a day filled with sunshine and laughter and lots of good cheer, and with your favorite things like BM movies and books!! And, Happy New 2008 Year

!!