Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4583289 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11070 on: February 26, 2011, 02:16:49 pm »
Looking forward to more pics of David's trains.

"Plasticville" - oy, what a name.
Reminds me of that Barbie song: "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world, life in plastic, it's fantastic."
My son LOVES that song (I don't!).

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11071 on: February 26, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This is real fun. Begins a little on the slow side, but then it gains.

This is the trailer for a short movie. I expect it to be very funny!   :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11072 on: February 26, 2011, 03:46:19 pm »
Looking forward to more pics of David's trains.

"Plasticville" - oy, what a name.
Reminds me of that Barbie song: "I'm a Barbie girl in a Barbie world, life in plastic, it's fantastic."
My son LOVES that song (I don't!).

LOL!!

I don't remember that Barbie song! Maybe I would if I saw the commercial again. Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying the train pictures, Chrissi. I'm having fun digging through those boxes. It's like opening up a time capsule! :laugh:

I'll take some more pictures either today or tomorrow. And I'll try to get that motel put back together. Once I find the pieces, it will only take a couple of minutes to assemble it (it just snaps together). And so far I've found one other complete train - well sort of - I've found the locomotive and a few box cars. And a caboose! So, stay tuned and I'm post them here just as quick as I can!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11073 on: February 26, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »
That undoubtedly is the Arlee station, which, like the two-story station, was made by several manufacturers over many years. It's still quite common. I have a couple of them on "Watch" on eBay right now.

That is undoubtedly the Bachmann "Plasticville" Siesta Motel.  ;D  I think they still make that. I have one of them, too. Plasticville (Oi! That name!) was never as detailed or sophisticated as other lines of model buildings, but it had the virtue of being inexpensive (once upon a time), and some of the structures really had the design flavor of the post-World War II period. I picked up a couple Plasticville Cape Cod-style houses last year, with the intent of someday cleaning them up and repainting them to look like they have brick walls and slate roofs, as lots of little houses very similar to the Plasticville house were built in my home town during the 1950s.

They don't use "cabeese"  ;D anymore. They just have an electronic device that gets mounted on the last car of the train.

Yup, that is the one Jeff! I just googled it and I have the Siesta motel! Most of the ones appearing on the Internet are white with three rooms. Mine is PINK with FOUR rooms! And I originally bought three of them, I think so technically I have a 12 room motel! With three pools and three offices! :laugh:

I remember trying to make the two extra offices look like motel "cottages" or something. So, like I told Chrissi, I'll snap a pic of it just as soon as I manage to get it put back together! I don't know if I will find all of the pieces though, but I'm sure I can find enough of them to put at least one of the buildings back together again. Maybe I'll glue them together this time so they won't fall apart. If I remember correctly, the buildings were kind of wobbly. :P

I miss seeing the..... "cabeese"! Actually "cabeese" sounds better than "cabooses" doesn't it? :laugh:

It was fun though, waiting to see if the conductor(s) would be standing outside the door. It almost made waiting for the train to pass worth the inconvenience!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11074 on: February 26, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »
This is the trailer for a short movie. I expect it to be very funny!   :laugh:

I can't watch those videos Sonja (I'm on dial-up) but they sound very interesting. 8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11075 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »
I can't watch those videos Sonja (I'm on dial-up) but they sound very interesting. 8)

I'm sorry you can't watch it, David.

It's a one year old, who is behaving perfectly normal for a one year old, but the setting makes it very funny.

She is filmed in a mini restaurant that fits her size, and the other guests are marionette puppets. She drinks from various glasses and bottles, spills, spits, steals food from one of the other "guests", and finally she falls over and knocks over a table and a chair.

If she were a grown up, it would be the exact behaviour of a very drunk and ill-behaved person.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11076 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:30 pm »
Here's a sad example of how a drunk Swedish tourist misbehaves and wrecks a bar in Las Palmas......  :-\   ;)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cds7lSHawAw[/youtube]

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11077 on: February 27, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »
I don't remember that Barbie song! Maybe I would if I saw the commercial again.

I don't remember it either, but I do remember once seeing a t-shirt that said, "I wanna be Barbie. The bitch has everything."

;D

Have fun with your time capsule, David. I bought a used "Siesta Motel" on eBay a couple of years ago. It's a very 1950s pastel pink.  ;D I bought it for the Brokie connection.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11078 on: February 27, 2011, 05:01:01 pm »
A fun youtube video... this had me booging away!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsS6eFuFBvs[/youtube]
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11079 on: March 03, 2011, 02:21:03 am »
Ahoi! Helau! And Alaaf!

Today is Schmutziger Donnerstag (Dirty Thursday)*, beginning of Carnival (Fasching, Faasnet, Fastnacht).
City Halls will get stormed and mayors will symbolically hand over huge keys in surrender. Women will chase men and cut their ties off. Parties galore, and many carnival parades between Sunday and Tuesday.

I'm not a fan of carnival, but years ago, we found a good compromise: we'll see the parade in our neighbouring village on Sunday, and on Tuesday I'll take the kids (read: my youngest, the girls are too old meanwhile) to Kinderfasching, a big kiddies' party at the gym. Additionally the kids can go to school in costume on Friday, and for the younger pupils, our little elementary school throws a party each year.
My oldest will walk in the parade this year. Her Handball club always does, but until now she refused to be a part of it. Knowing her, it will be the first and the last time, LOL. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

Even though I'm not a big Fastnachter, I look forward to the parade on Sunday, it has become a family tradition. I don't remember the year when it changed from being a dreaded chore to a fun event. ::)

* In other parts of Germany, this day is called Weiberfastnacht (Hags' Carnival)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:21:54 am by Penthesilea »