Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596596 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8120 on: September 18, 2008, 05:03:38 am »
Swiss Cuisine

What is Switzerland famous for? Cheese, of course! So on Monday we had cheese fondue and Tuesday we had raclette. Yesterday we had "toasts" which is my hostess's "favorite" and a German delicacy invented by her mother. Let me share the recipe:

Toasts

Serving per person: 2 toasts

This recipe is easily multiplied. The instructions below are for one toast. Make as many has you have guests--in fact, make extra. People will gobble them up.

Take one slice of white bread. On it, place one slice of gouda cheese. Take one half banana and halve again (lengthwise). Place on the cheese, cut side down. Take one small hot dog and halve lengthwise. Place on top of the banana. Take one-half slice of bacon and lay it neatly on top of the hot dog. Repeat as necessary for however many toasts you are making.

Arrange the toasts on a cookie sheet. Place under a preheated broiler and cook until the bacon is crisp, the edges of the bread are toasted, and the cheese looks sort of melted. Serve immediately. Goes well with beer.

~~~~

Believe it or not, I ate two of these things! They weren't so bad, either (and I am not usually a fan of bacon and banana combinations). All I could think was, "I wonder if Elvis ever ate one of these?"

My hostess told me you can substitute tomato for the bacon but then it is just turning into a variation on a BLT. The banana is much more European.

I would have taken a picture, but that seemed a little rude at the dinner table. LOL

Enjoy!

Bananas, cheese and hot dogs? Together? Did I read that correctly?

Eww, I don't know, that doesn't sound very good to me! :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8121 on: September 18, 2008, 05:58:47 am »

Bananas, cheese, hot dogs and bacon! Don't forget the bacon, it is the piece de resistance! LOL

When it was described to me the day before (and the bacon was described as 'lard') I was really throwing up a little bit in my mouth. But I decided to be adventurous and planned on eating one and then ate two. Who knows, maybe I was starving. It wasn't bad, though. You might want to try it!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8122 on: September 18, 2008, 08:21:05 am »

When we first arrived here, we thought the bacon,egg and pancakes or waffles with syrup combination was odd. We were used to having them as separate courses, the salt sweet combo was very strange. Now Of course I love it. I have also grown to love cinnamon which is in so many things, I couldn't stand it in Engalnd.

We laso were not mad keen on the vey streaky/fatty bacon.In England we only ever had back bacon.My husband tracked down A Canadian guy who cures his own bacon, and bought a whole side of back bacon. Guess what I don't like it any more,I have got so used to the bacon here.

I will never gey used to the portion size though.OMG. we sare an appetizer betwen 5. The 2 youngr kids  kids share a pizza,My husband and James sahre an entree, and I have an appetizer as an entre. !!!!!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8123 on: September 18, 2008, 08:25:59 am »
Good morning everyone!   ;D

When it was described to me the day before (and the bacon was described as 'lard') I was really throwing up a little bit in my mouth.

Wow!  what a quote to read first thing in the morning!   :laugh:

Bananas, cheese, hot dogs and bacon! Don't forget the bacon, it is the piece de resistance! LOL

Ok, I hate bananas, however, I have had hot dogs with cheese and bacon.  very tasty!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8124 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:44 am »
Ok, I hate bananas, however, I have had hot dogs with cheese and bacon.  very tasty!

They had that on the menu in the restaurant in the store where my mother worked. They called it a Texas Tommy.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8125 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:42 am »

Wow!  what a quote to read first thing in the morning!   :laugh:

Hahahaha, well remember, it is almost 3 in the afternoon here! (3 pm)

Leslie
Swiss Gadabout
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8126 on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:38 am »
Hahahaha, well remember, it is almost 3 in the afternoon here! (3 pm)

Leslie
Swiss Gadabout

I will never get used to the time zone differences!  :D  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8127 on: September 18, 2008, 09:12:25 am »
They had that on the menu in the restaurant in the store where my mother worked. They called it a Texas Tommy.  ;D

Texas Tommy sounds yummy.

Oh, and speaking of yummy, we've got a guy working on our air/heating vents today.  He's cute.  Very tan, goatee with some grey hair in it, very hairy arms....looks great in jeans...... ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8128 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:45 am »
Bonjour... to all and hugs!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8129 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:54 am »

Texas Tommy sounds yummy.

Oh, and speaking of yummy, we've got a guy working on our air/heating vents today.  He's cute.  Very tan, goatee with some grey hair in it, very hairy arms....looks great in jeans...... ;D

Good with his hands, is he?  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.