Author Topic: Creating the Bit Part of the Tough Bartender  (Read 18347 times)

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Creating the Bit Part of the Tough Bartender
« on: December 25, 2007, 03:41:07 am »
I've been sifting through my collection of numerous local newspaper articles which appeared here in Calgary around the
release of the film.  I don't recall seeing anyone having posted this snippet on little known details about
one of the bit players.

Lessons Learned During Brokeback
 Louis B. Hobson
Calgary Sun        December 30, 2005

Calgary teacher and musician Dan McDougall’s stint on Brokeback Mountain was a hair-raising experience.  In Ang Lee’s acclaimed western, McDougall plays the bartender who suggests Jake Gyllenhaal’s rodeo hopeful switch from riding bulls to roping calves. McDougall shot his scene last August.    “When you get lines in a movie they pay you really well, but I’d have done it for free just for the experience,” says McDougall, who teaches biology at Bishop O’Byrne and fronts the local classic rock band The Livin’ Daylights. In 2000, McDougall used his sabbatical to study Russian history at the U of C. He also took a drama class.  “At the end of the year, the prof suggested I get an agent because, being in my 40s, he felt I had age on my side.”
              His audition for Brokeback was harrowing.  “They had sent me the wrong script so I didn’t have time to prepare. The part they wanted me to read for was tough guy bartender. I was certain I wouldn’t get it.”   Three weeks later McDougall received word the part was his.   The day he arrived on set, the costume and make-up people started shaking their heads.   “I wear my hair long for our band and they felt it was all wrong for the look. They wanted to cut most of it off.”  It was Lee who came to the rescue. He overheard the discussion and suggested the make-up people braid McDougall’s hair and hide it under a wig.   “That worked until they decided to shoot scenes of Jake over my shoulder.  “Ang came up and asked if I’d let them cut my hair. Of course, I said yes. I told him being in his movie was more important than my hair. Besides, hair grows.”

A year later when Lee flew into Calgary for the special crew and cast screening of Brokeback, he singled McDougall out at the party.   “He thanked me for making such a sacrifice for his movie. That’s the kind of amazing guy Ang Lee is.”   McDougall was also impressed by Gyllenhaal: “He’s incredibly professional for someone so young. He can turn on his character the instant cameras role and he’s so convincing.   “The first time I delivered my line he barked back at me with such intensity that he frightened me. Ang came running over to explain I was supposed to be the toughest one in that scene.   “I just hadn’t expected such intensity from Jake.”   McDougall says once cameras stopped rolling Gyllenhaal could turn into a real prankster.
http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=117806&x=articles&s=showbiz
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:01:52 am by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Creating the Bit Part of the Tough Bartender
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 04:19:37 am »
Very interesting, Casey! Thank you, and happy holiday!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:36:46 am »
Thank you for posting this Casey. I love reading these tidbits of background information about the movie.

Happy Holidays Casey!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:57:02 am »
“The first time I delivered my line he barked back at me with such intensity that he frightened me. Ang came running over to explain I was supposed to be the toughest one in that scene... 

:)

That's a great article. Ang Lee is such a nice person to recognize McDougal's haircut as a sacrifice, even though McDougal didn't consider it as such. Nice testament to Ang Lee and Jake Gyllenhaal.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:41:36 pm »
I always thought it was rather odd that the bartender just nodded when Jack said he wanted to buy the rodeo clown a beer. The bartender didn't come across as tough to me. The clown did of course, in contrast to his wacky clown persona.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:41 pm »
Intéressant!

Indeed interesting!

Is his hair now long?

And I think G. could direct - oui?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:18:46 pm »
If, by G., you mean Jake Gyllenhaal, I agree with you that he could be a very good director and I hope he tries it soon!

Offline raynman59

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:22:51 pm »
Actually, Ang asked that I "not be so mean" after one of my takes! The scene kind of evolved as it went along   :)

The newspaper article was another funny thing - Mr. Hobson misquoted me a number of times but the general gist was there.

What was completely true is what an amazingly nice guy Ang Lee is - for a person of his renown he was one of the kindest people I have ever met!

Several years later it's good to read discussions like this and remember what a great experience Brokeback was - despite the fact that it was a small part.

Cheers!

Dan

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:15:58 pm »
Dan,

Welcome to Bettermost!! And thank you for sharing your experiences with us, both in the article, and here in person. 

Show business is like no other job out there. The crazy things you have to do to make it all work just right. I remember one of the early operas I did back in 2001. It was SUSANNAH by Carlisle Floyd. I was playing one of the church elders. The problem for the costumer was to find a way to hide my dreadlocks. African-American men did not wear dreads back in the mid-50s...especially in rural Tennessee. The costumer and I tried several tricks, but could not find a way to hide the damn things. I had been growing them for about 7 years at that point. So I figured, "you've had your fun," and then I went to a barber and had the dreads chopped off. Good thing too...they would have been a liability to my singing career.

This is probably a dumb question, but how did you like the whole movie-making process?? I haven't done any film...yet. I've done a few commercials (residuals...WOOOHOO!!), and an training video for a fast food chain. But opera is my passion now. I need a live audience.     
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 07:38:23 am »
Welcome, Dan!! Nice to see you here! Thanks for setting the record straight.

Want a cup of coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake??  ;D