Author Topic: I just realised why Cowboys don't dance with their wives!  (Read 19278 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: I just realised why Cowboys don't dance with their wives!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 02:19:12 pm »
I'm not saying Lureen is a villian. The more times I've seen BBM, the more times I understand her. Good point about dying your hair blonder to put some spice in the marriage.  They used to advise women to wear more RED to spice up a marriage. I don't think that's going to anything for Jack, though.  :)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 02:20:13 pm »
My take on Lureen is that she's a female version of that distant husband/father stereotype that we see common in the 50's-80's. It doesn't surprise us when we see in film and tv, a depiction of a husband and father who's energy is spent at the firm and has little left for his family. Even the Incredibles played on this in the beginning. For me, right from the beginning, Lureen's character is a commentary on the macho male stereotype. She's the sexually aggressive cowboy at the start and the burned out "husband" at the end. Like many fathers of that time, she didn't take part in her child's education. She's the one that ran the family business. She played out many of the commonly thought to be male roles as well as male short comings.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 02:22:52 pm »
btw. does anyone imagine that while Jack was away, or even when he was around, Lureen didn't herself "dance" with other men?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 02:28:06 pm »
My take on Lureen is that she's a female version of that distant husband/father stereotype that we see common in the 50's-80's. It doesn't surprise us when we see in film and tv, a depiction of a husband and father who's energy is spent at the firm and has little left for his family. Even the Incredibles played on this in the beginning. For me, right from the beginning, Lureen's character is a commentary on the macho male stereotype. She's the sexually aggressive cowboy at the start and the burned out "husband" at the end. Like many fathers of that time, she didn't take part in her child's education. She's the one that ran the family business. She played out many of the commonly thought to be male roles as well as male short comings.

What an interesting take, Nipith!  It's something I've kind of had an inkling of, too, but hadn't thought out so eloquently.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 02:49:32 pm »
What an interesting take, Nipith!  It's something I've kind of had an inkling of, too, but hadn't thought out so eloquently.

That is a very interesting take!

"Frustrated and suspicious"--or emotionally checked out/worn out? I don't know. Does she let Jack have a long leash because she's finding her fulfillment in the business and just doesn't care anymore, as long as he doesn't do anything blatant and embarass her publicly--like start crusing men around Childress?

And that "powder their noses to go home to bed" line. I always thought that line was a little silly myself. It's like, "Jack! Dude! You've been married how long and you don't know that's what women say when they go to the bathroom?" At least--that's what women in the movies say when they go to the bathroom. . . .  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 03:19:57 pm »
I love this thread, you guys.

Lureen as "she who lures"! She's definitely the aggressor here; I guess that makes Jack the trophy husband. If you think about it, both get some of what they want: 

Jack gets financial stability, and a not-very-demanding wife, and a long leash to visit Wyoming and Mexico. Also the ability to leave, on short notice, if necessary.

Lureen gets the trophy husband, albeit a "pissant", a baby, and the opportunity to "wear the pants" and run the family  business.

Both have to compromise, however.  I think there is basic affection/respect.  But the passion goes elsewhere: Jack's to Ennis, or the hope of Ennis; Lureen's gets sublimated into her work. Her passion turns into "looking for extra zeros". It's true both Jack and Lureen suffered disappointment, and found a way to "stand it".

I agree that Lureen knew something about Jack, maybe not consciously.  She knew he was a dreamer: in the phone call, she says, "knowing Jack, BBM could just be a pretend place..." 

I love those little squeaks of recognition, very subtle, when Ennis says "no, ma'am... we was herding sheep..." and later "we was good friends".

By the way, Cassie, another aggressive woman, makes me think of "Cassandra" in Greek myth: "she who entangles men" is how she is described. She had the gift/curse of making predictions of the future that no one believed.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 03:43:34 pm »
By the way, Cassie, another aggressive woman, makes me think of "Cassandra" in Greek myth: "she who entangles men" is how she is described. She had the gift/curse of making predictions of the future that no one believed.

Funny you should say that, southendmd!  I just spent the last half hour looking up references to Cassandra (prompted by Katherine's post about her name suggesting "casting"), primarily because Ennis has been compared to the Trojan hero Aeneas in other discussions.  At least one source I checked out described them as having been lovers, but I don't know if that is the case in the Aeneid.  Sounds like it's worth pursuing.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 03:58:27 pm »
I quote Celeste:

Everyone's heart broke in a different way.

Beautiful; very Tolstoy.

Maybe Lureen had a buddy of her own whom she telephoned up as soon as Jack was out of the driveway for a fourteen-hour drive.  Hell, she could get a lot done in Jack's driving time alone.  Good reason for the long leash!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2006, 04:16:09 pm »

IMO, Lureen is not cold, calculating or manipulative. She saw Jack, understandably found him attractive, and went for it. That's what people are SUPPOSED to do, right? She may come on a little strong -- as does Cassie, later; neither of these women would have snared their cowboys any other way -- but that's OK. And she probably was rebelling a bit against her overbearing Daddy (evidence: first-date sex in the backseat of his car and, later, her smirk when Jack tells LD off on Thanksgiving). And she quite possibly was pregnant before the wedding. But none of those actions are particularly evil....

I won't quote the whole thing, but resonate with all you wrote Katherine.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2006, 04:20:50 pm »
I won't quote the whole thing, but resonate with all you wrote Katherine.

Thanks, Celeste! Actually, my post originally started by saying that I felt yours was the opinion that most closely matched mine. (I cut that sentence only because several more posts appeared while I was writing my tome, and I didn't have time to check them for possible agreement before posting my own.)