Author Topic: Cameras: Film or Digital?  (Read 13775 times)

injest

Re: Cameras: Film or Digital?
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:31 pm »
That is a very interesting picture of the horse. Do you remember what aperture value you used? It looks like around f/4.5. I love the angle. It's very captivating.

I leave my camera set on aperture priority most of the time. I love experimenting with depth of field. I also use the manual setting quite a bit. Canon cameras have a large array of goodies; lots of fun to play around with.

*blush*

I don't know what that means..I just put it on automatic..I want to learn more but havent experimented too much. Can you change the settings a lot on this one? Do you know anything about the model I have?

injest

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:40:27 pm »
That is a very interesting picture of the horse. Do you remember what aperture value you used? It looks like around f/4.5. I love the angle. It's very captivating.

I leave my camera set on aperture priority most of the time. I love experimenting with depth of field. I also use the manual setting quite a bit. Canon cameras have a large array of goodies; lots of fun to play around with.

wait I just remembered the computer would tell you! (it is the first time I looked...it says 5.5)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:12 pm »
wait I just remembered the computer would tell you! (it is the first time I looked...it says 5.5)

Yeah, I figured you were using a mid aperture range. It's a beautiful picture Jess!

*blush*

I don't know what that means..I just put it on automatic..I want to learn more but havent experimented too much. Can you change the settings a lot on this one? Do you know anything about the model I have?

I think the A530 camera has an AUto, Program and a Manual setting. If you set the camera to the Manual mode (M) you should be able to adjust the aperture. You probably have an aperture range of f/2.8 - f/8. This is a typical range of most digital cameras; especially Canon. Basically the lower the aperture value, the less depth of field in the picture. A higher aperture value yields more depth of field. So, if you set your aperture to 2.8, the depth of field in the photo would be minimal. Setting the aperture at f/7.1 or f/8.0 will result in much greater depth of field. Sometimes, when you use a narrow aperture (higher F number) you will also have to slow down the shutter speed a little, since less light is coming into the camera. But bumping up the ISO setting will also help. ISO determines how sensitive the sensor in your camera will be to light. ISO 100-200 (not sensitive) ISO 400-800 (sensitive) ISO settings above 800 are very sensitive. Using an ISO of 800 and above will often mean you can shoot a well developed picture in poor lighting using a faster shutter speed, and often without a flash. It just depends on the lighting conditions.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 09:52:53 pm »
Yeah, I figured you were using a mid aperture range. It's a beautiful picture Jess!

I think the A530 camera has an AUto, Program and a Manual setting. If you set the camera to the Manual mode (M) you should be able to adjust the aperture. You probably have an aperture range of f/2.8 - f/8. This is a typical range of most digital cameras; especially Canon. Basically the lower the aperture value, the less depth of field in the picture. A higher aperture value yields more depth of field. So, if you set your aperture to 2.8, the depth of field in the photo would be minimal. Setting the aperture at f/7.1 or f/8.0 will result in much greater depth of field. Sometimes, when you use a narrow aperture (higher F number) you will also have to slow down the shutter speed a little, since less light is coming into the camera. But bumping up the ISO setting will also help. ISO determines how sensitive the sensor in your camera will be to light. ISO 100-200 (not sensitive) ISO 400-800 (sensitive) ISO about 800 is very sensitive. Using an ISO of 800 and above will often mean you can shoot a well developed picture using a faster shutter speed, and often without a flash. It just depends on the lighting conditions.

oh no...you know what this means?? huh??

I am gonna come to you with all my picture taking questions!!

You are TRAPPED!!

*evil laughter*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:58:52 pm »
oh no...you know what this means?? huh??

I am gonna come to you with all my picture taking questions!!

You are TRAPPED!!

*evil laughter*

That's okay Jess!! At least I will be doing SOMETHING with my photograhy degree! :laugh:

I'll be happy to help you!! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 10:03:08 pm »
Jess, here is a link to a lot of info about your camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html

He has reviewed hundreds of cameras. It's a very interesting website.

Shasta, here is some info about your camera...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/sd1000.html

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 10:04:46 pm »
Jess, here is a link to a lot of info about your camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html

He has reviewed hundreds of cameras. It's a very interesting website.

Shasta, here is some info about your camera...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/sd1000.html

Thanks!  :) I need to read up on it and try different settings. It will even make a little video I think, but I don't know how to do it yet.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 10:07:37 pm »
I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Sony Cybershot. Love it!

I'm not the best picture taker. Certainly amateur. Cat pictures etc.

Back in the early 80s my brother sold me his Minolta 35mm. I still have that camera and always will. It's sentimental and has taken many world pictures. Mostly my brothers travels though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:11:48 pm »
I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Sony Cybershot. Love it!

I'm not the best picture taker. Certainly amateur. Cat pictures etc.

Back in the early 80s my brother sold me his Minolta 35mm. I still have that camera and always will. It's sentimental and has taken many world pictures. Mostly my brothers travels though.

Which Cyber shot model do you own Wishes? Sony makes excellent cameras. In addition to my Canon cameras, I also own a Sony Cyber shot. I bought my 717 a couple of years ago and I still use it. I love the night shot feature. I can literally take pictures in the pitch dark. The camera has an infra red sensor which allows the camera to focus accurately in total darkness. It can even take a picture in total darkness without the flash. But without the flash, the picture is totally gray; no color at all. If the flash is used, the image's colors are perfectly balanced. Those cyber shots are amazing cameras.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:18 pm »
That website is wonderful, David!! Very helpful!  :) I've been reading and experimenting. I'll use it some more later. Thank you. I bookmarked it.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~