Author Topic: Who Are Your Favorite Cable News Anchors/Personalities?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Who Are Your Favorite Cable News Anchors/Personalities?
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
For me personally, my hands-down favorite is Keith Olbermann. 

I think Olbermann is very intelligent, articulate and seems genuinely capable of critical thinking. 

Of course, favorites here also, often reflect personal political leanings as well.

**Footnote** If anyone can suggest some female anchors for me to add to this list I would be very grateful.  It's very disheartening to me, actually, to look at this list and see how male dominated it is.  I put Nancy Grace on here almost out of desperation... but maybe there are some female anchors out there that I'm not aware of.  I know there are some wonderful/brave/smart reporters... but in this case, essentially I'm interested in hosts of shows.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:25:26 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

Re: Who Are Your Favorite Cable News Anchors/Personalities?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:30 pm »
For me personally, my hands-down favorite is Keith Olbermann.  Second for me of this list is Chris Matthews.

I think Olbermann is very intelligent, articulate and seems genuinely capable of critical thinking. 

Of course, favorites here also, often reflect personal political leanings as well.

**Footnote** If anyone can suggest some female anchors for me to add to this list I would be very grateful.  It's very disheartening to me, actually, to look at this list and see how male dominated it is.  I put Nancy Grace on here almost out of desperation... but maybe there are some female anchors out there that I'm not aware of.  I know there are some wonderful/brave/smart reporters... but in this case, essentially I'm interested in hosts of shows.

Erica Hill?

Robin Meade?

both on CNN Headline News..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:17:10 pm »
I LOVE Keith Olbermann and Anderson Cooper. I watch them every day. AC 360 is one of my favorite programs.

For me personally, my hands-down favorite is Keith Olbermann.  Second for me of this list is Chris Matthews.

Hi Amanda!

Here's a few female reporters: Carol Costello (CNN), Christiane Amanpour (CNN), Zain Verjee (CNN), Suzanne Malveaux (CNN), Chris Jansing (MSNBC), Alison Stewart (MSNBC), Contessa Brewer (MSNBC), Julie Bandaras (Fox), Laurie Dhue (Fox), Martha MacCallum (Fox) and Greta Van Susteren (Fox).

There's a couple of male reporters on Fox I like too! Even though I don't like Fox, I can't help but watch them when they are on. Bill Hemmer and Shepard Smith. Both reporters seem fairly liberal, and both are extremely cute too! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:28:23 pm »
Bill O'Reilly and Joe Scarborough.

I like Greta Van Susteran too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:51:35 pm »
I LOVE Keith Olbermann and Anderson Cooper. I watch them every day. AC 360 is one of my favorite programs.

Hi Amanda!

Here's a few female reporters: Carol Costello (CNN), Christiane Amanpour (CNN), Zain Verjee (CNN), Suzanne Malveaux (CNN), Chris Jansing (MSNBC), Alison Stewart (MSNBC), Contessa Brewer (MSNBC), Julie Bandaras (Fox), Laurie Dhue (Fox), Martha MacCallum (Fox) and Greta Van Susteren (Fox).

Heya David!  Thanks for this list!  Yes, I'm very much aware of a lot of these amazing reporters.  I'm in constant awe of Christiane Amanpour and I know she hosts specials once in a while but I think of her really as a correspondent and not as a regular host with a regularly scheduled program.  Just to keep this poll reined in I'd like to limit this to major hosts.  I think of some of these others as correspondents too.

We could almost have a separate poll for just cool reporters.  Also, obviously... since the focus of this poll is cable news... there's no Katie Couric, etc. 

I'm going to edit this poll a bit and I'll make it so folks can change their votes and I'm also going to increase the number of choices folks can make... hang in there friends...
 ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:57:43 pm »
Paula Zahn would have been a good choice for your poll Amanda, but I haven't seen Paula for at least several months. She used to have a show called "Paula Zahn Now" on CNN. I'm sure you remember it.

Connie Chung would be another one, and she's gone too! But after that disasterous dance on the piano in that hideous dress, who could blame her for going into hiding! ;)

You could probably include both those two on your poll though, because I'm sure just about everyone remembers them. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:13:09 am »
Heya,

Well, I just discovered that CNN has a great segment of their website with good profiles on all their anchors, hosts, correspondents, reporters... and even contributers to their website in terms of content.  So,  I've increased my list of options above based on some of that research... and I also added some anchors/hosts who are prominent on their international outlets. 

Folks are free to edit their votes or to continue to make suggestions.

I don't see Paula Zahn listed in that section of their website... so maybe something happened... or maybe I'm just overlooking something.  But, I'll go ahead and add her.  There are so many people listed on that one website (I haven't even done thorough research over at the msnbc site or fox, etc.) that this list could get out of hand quickly.  The good news is that I feel better about the status of women in journalism after doing this quick little internet research.
 ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:01 am »
I don't actually watch cable news  ::) but is that the Dan Abrams who does commentary on legal issues on the Today show, or someone else? I always find him interesting to listen to on Today.

I wondered what had become of Campbell Brown. I miss her from Weekend Today.

Anderson Cooper is just dreamy. ...  ::) And I seem to recall he won on Celebrity Jeopardy!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:34 am »
I don't see Paula Zahn listed in that section of their website... so maybe something happened... or maybe I'm just overlooking something.  But, I'll go ahead and add her.  There are so many people listed on that one website (I haven't even done thorough research over at the msnbc site or fox, etc.) that this list could get out of hand quickly.  The good news is that I feel better about the status of women in journalism after doing this quick little internet research.
 ;D

Well that's good Amanda. I'm glad you feel better. Yes, there are quite a few women in the news industry now. I've also noticed many more African American men and women entering the large news companies such  as CNN which I am very glad to see happen. :)