Author Topic: Anyone unable to watch BBM stars in other films?  (Read 30116 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Anyone unable to watch BBM stars in other films?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:39 am »
I don't have a problem seeing them in other movies. It always amazes me how Heath simply disapears into a character, though some things he carries from character to character. I loved Jake in Zodiac, which he had more scenes, and loved Anne Hathaway in Devil Wears Prada, have not seen Michelle Williams since BBM.

LOL,  I liked the Devil Wears Prada too... It seems like Hathaway going back a bit to a more typical role for her.  But, I'll say that on some subtle, unspoken level... the Devil Wears Prada vs. Brokeback Mountain is the subject of a battle between me an my Mom.  My Mom loves, loves, loves the Prada movie and watches it all the time (my Mom is a big movie buff in general... but she tends to seriously favor "light" or "fun" movies) and she adamantly refuses to see BBM.  She also went out and bought Crash several months ago.

::)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 11:45:14 am »

I have no problem watching the BBM stars in other films.  On the contrary, I've made a point to seek out their other films.  I've seen a few of Michelle's and Anne's and really enjoyed their performances.  I've seen most of Jake's and Heath's films more than once.  In fact, I own most of them on DVD.  I think they're great actors, and I find it fascinating to see what they do with different roles.  They disappear into each character they play in different ways and to different extents.  I think one great thing about BBM is that when I watch it, I see Ennis and Jack, not Heath and Jake.

I will admit, however, that for the first year after BBM was released, I saw it many times, and very few other movies.  When I did start watching other films again, they were often Heath or Jake films.  For months after I first saw BBM, I would get choked up every time I saw a picture of Heath somewhere, because I would immediately think about Ennis. 

I think Lynne hit the nail on the head when she commented........

I definitely don't think this is crazy, though.  I think we're all on different schedules with our healing after BBM.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »

I had no trouble watching their movies..I went the next day after seeing BBM and went with my grandaughter to
see Casanova..We enjoyed it a great deal.  Then i started buying or renting all of Heath and  jakes movies one after another.
Starting with The good girl...I enjoyed them all, but for Lords of Dogtown...I didnt care for that one in the least.  And I
wasnt too fond of Proof.  I dont care much for her, i think is the reason....So no..I have no problem at all.  If anything
it made me find out much more about them as actors..

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 02:59:46 pm »
Well, I'm not having any trouble watching Linda Cardellini in Comanche Moon, but at one point Tuesday night I more than half expected her to say, "I just don't get you, Gus McCrae."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »
Well, I'm not having any trouble watching Linda Cardellini in Comanche Moon, but at one point Tuesday night I more than half expected her to say, "I just don't get you, Gus McCrae."  ;D

Don't tell me Gus was eating apple pie.  ;) Is Comache Moon the new series written by Larry McMurtry? 
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 06:31:07 pm »

No, I don't have that problem.
I might've in the very early stages of my BBM fever but then, it wore off pretty quickly.

I think you can't fully grasp the actors' talents and abilities if you see them in one film alone.  In fact, after checking out some of their work, it might even make you further appreciate their efforts in the roles/movies you love best.  :)

~M

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
Don't tell me Gus was eating apple pie.  ;) Is Comache Moon the new series written by Larry McMurtry? 

Yes, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.  :)

(No applie pie, BTW.  ;) )
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 05:34:58 am »
I think you can't fully grasp the actors' talents and abilities if you see them in one film alone.  In fact, after checking out some of their work, it might even make you further appreciate their efforts in the roles/movies you love best.  :)

~M

~M, my dear girl~!

I know I am the one weird here.  But since my life has done a 180 degree change because of BBM, somehow, at least for the forseeable future, I just can't handle it..   It's OK to me and I guess I have learned to love myself more by the film in general.  For that reason, I can easily give myself permission for this weird hangup...   I was a different person before BBM and I'm not there anymore.

I DO agree with you, of course~!  Whenever I 'get into' a film star, I usually LOVE seeing them in differing roles, showing off the range of their talent.  My current 'squeeze' is Sean Patrick Flanery.   :P

But I've never had the pleasure of a life change after watching any film before.  So, I guess I'm in no rush to change.  BBM is that special to me~!

{{{Cyberhugs With Gratitude for your fabulous ART~!}}}  :-*

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 03:02:25 pm »
Well I guess I could enjoy that AS LONG AS THERE ARE NO BBM stars in it..

Just kidding.  I collected some beautiful art from that site.  I like pics that leave something to the imagination...

{{{Cyberhugs}}}

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin