Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52314 times)

dmmb_Mandy

Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2006, 06:24:46 pm »
I am not talkin about quality....I'm talkin about entertainment....

It's sad really. Quality & Entertainment. They should be friends. They're both so important. I'm such a good matchmaker, perhaps I should do something about it  ;D

PS. I liked just about all of those films. Good Quality + Entertaining, IMO..

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2006, 06:26:09 pm »
Wow, I don't get you ennis del mar, I really don't. 

And thats alright!  :)

rtprod

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2006, 06:27:18 pm »
It's sad really. Quality & Entertainment. They should be friends. They're both so important. I'm such a good matchmaker, perhaps I should do something about it  ;D

PS. I liked just about all of those films. Good Quality + Entertaining, IMO..

And in your post I detect a none-too-thinly-veiled reference to hijacking another innocent thread babe...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2006, 06:32:19 pm »

I agree....but IMO that rarely happens!  I can think of dozens of high quality films that bored me to tears....Sideways, Closer, Capote, The Aviator...and I can go on...that doesn't always happen hence BBM, Munich, A History of Violence, Million Dollar Baby (IMO), United 93 etc....

But I can also think of some low quality films that I loved....take The Day After Tomorrow for example...I don't know if that was low quality...but it was definetely not the most critically acclaimed film of all time and was pretty damn unrealistic!  But I loved it!  Or the Scary Movie series....not the best quality films of all time either but I loved em...as embarassing as that sounds.  Eight Below was also not the highest quality film...poor performances IMO but its also one of my favorites this year...

So I guess me and high quality films/critics don't always see eye to eye....and there is nothing wrong with that!

vkm91941

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2006, 08:24:38 pm »
You said  "All mainstream movies that are hits and have integrity and artistry."  Well WE may have to agree to disagree... 

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Like it's predecessors, good not great film, has a built in audience all hyped up and ready to go years before the film hits the market

Collateral disappointed since Collateral seems to be in many ways a pale carbon copy of Heat, Michael Mann's previous film..just a rehash of preditory and prey again.

The Bourne Identity Surprisingly good, but then how far wrong can you go with Robert Ludlum

Mission Impossible III I haven't seen it but the teenage boys are sure raving about it....Hmmmm

The Matrix Sorry, confusing, convoluted seemed more suited to a video game or comic book

Legally Blonde spare me the whole series blonde movies makes Rees's I'm just trying to make a difference Oscar speech see disingeneous

Million Dollar Baby Excellent first rate film

Erin Brockovich Julia doing what Julia does best..kick ass story the fact that it's based in reality only enhanced that

Sin City I can go the rest of my life and never see this film again

King Kong Excellent effect, probably the best filmed version, but too long and ponderous

Forrest Gump A beautiful fable for now and the future

Contacttoughness and sensitivity, symbolism and passion, and the fact that it is a rare science fiction film, a gem which was released in a time where scientific intelligence in film has become a nothing short of a joke

Moulin Rouge T*R*A*S*H two hours of my life I will never get back for this..even Heath and Jake could not have save this tripe

Titanic Timeless, moving, and epic inspite of Leonardo DiCaprio

My point is we could probably go on all night like this, turning this into a tit for tat example of one-upmanship.  Chris has made a very valid point about the marketability of film in our moderan society.  Da Vinci code's $77 million weekend numbers back him up.  Others have made their points about the more esoteric points of film as art.  But Hollywood does NOT let loose the money to make ART unless a few Blockbusters come along to make big bucks first.  SO thank god for films like Da Vinci code.  The book fans will love it, Hollywood will rake in the cash and WE may get another BRILLANT film like Brokeback because of it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:28:34 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2006, 08:26:21 pm »
And in your post I detect a none-too-thinly-veiled reference to hijacking another innocent thread babe...

WHAT??  Mandy, a matchmaker??

*spanks rt on the wrist*

Cannot imagine how you came to such a conclusion, rt...

*rubs rt's wrist*
 ;D
Chut up!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2006, 08:32:49 pm »
You said  "All mainstream movies that are hits and have integrity and artistry."  Well WE may have to agree to disagree... 

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Like it's predecessors, good not great film, has a built in audience all hyped up and ready to go years before the film hits the market

Collateral disappointed since Collateral seems to be in many ways a pale carbon copy of Heat, Michael Mann's previous film..just a rehash of preditory and prey again.

The Bourne Identity Surprisingly good, but then how far wrong can you go with Robert Ludlum

Mission Impossible III I haven't seen it but the teenage boys are sure raving about it....Hmmmm

The Matrix Sorry, confusing, convoluted seemed more suited to a video game or comic book

Legally Blonde spare me the whole series blonde movies makes Rees's I'm just trying to make a difference Oscar speech see disingeneous

Million Dollar Baby Excellent first rate film

Erin Brockovich Julia doing what Julia does best..kick ass story the fact that it's based in reality only enhanced that

King Kong Excellent effect, probably the best filmed version, but too long and ponderous

Contacttoughness and sensitivity, symbolism and passion, and the fact that it is a rare science fiction film, a gem which was released in a time where scientific intelligence in film has become a nothing short of a joke

Moulin Rouge T*R*A*S*H two hours of my life I will never get back for this..even Heath and Jake could not have save this tripe

My point is we could probably go on all night like this, turning this into a tit for tat example of one-upmanship.  Chris has made a very valid point about the marketability of film in our moderan society.  Da Vinci code's $77 million weekend numbers back him up.  Others have made their points about the more esoteric points of film as art.  But Hollywood does NOT let loose the money to make ART unless a few Blockbusters come along to make big bucks first.  SO thank god for films like Da Vinci code.  The book fans will love it, Hollywood will rake in the cash and WE may get another BRILLANT film like Brokeback because of it.

Well here's hoping it works that way, rather than having some scantily-clad-Jessica-Alba-type tripe financed instead. I'd happily fork out $$ to support a few lemons if we eventually tasted some lemonade!!  Brokeback, personally, makes up for all the Rumour Has It's I've seen for about the last 2 years.  And I won't be looking for another Brokeback for a while. But eventually.. eventually, I will.

Btw, Vic, what on EARTH is up with you not liking the Matrix????  Cyber Mom is losing her "cool"..  :P
 ;D
Kidding, with hugs, of course..
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2006, 08:36:43 pm »

Btw, Vic, what on EARTH is up with you not liking the Matrix????  Cyber Mom is losing her "cool"..  :P
 ;D
Kidding, with hugs, of course..

I KNOW, ::) I even sat down with the boys and watched all 3 Matrix films back to back one Satruday with them explaining it to me.  I did actaully follow and like the last one..Matrix -Reloaded.  Soooooo what can I say...BUt they still think I'm cool coz I like X-Men. LOL

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2006, 08:44:34 pm »

You have just more than redeemed yourself.  ;D

X-Men is the BEST and not only cause of Hugh *purrrr* Jackman.. 

Which could take us off topic AGAIN: which X-Man would you be and why??? Hmmm..... (i already know I'd be Mystique... I could make myself into Michelle Williams or at the very least, give myself a nicer arse...)  ::)
Chut up!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2006, 09:04:53 pm »
Well said Vickie

You said  "All mainstream movies that are hits and have integrity and artistry."  Well WE may have to agree to disagree

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.

That teenaged boys like it may or may not be a good thing.

Heh.  It was a comic book.  So it pretty much accomplished its purpose.

Disagree.  A surprisingly feminist movie, but it relied too heavily on stereotypes to make its point that one shouldn't rely on stereotypes but that sometimes you can.  Yeah, I know.

Um, I agree that it's Julie Roberts doing what she does best.  She rarely changes her persona.

Another comic book movie that accomplished its purpose.

Gag, don't even get me started on KK.  That it was filmed with care and quality is beyond question.  But it clearly pandered to fanboys of CGI monster games, failed to keep a more mature audience from being bored and the makers of the movie clearly thought they could make a 3 hour epic out of what is essentially a 90 minute monster movie.  Less would have been much more here.

Agree.

Agree.

Loved this movie.  Had its weak spots to be sure, but otherwise very much enjoyed their take on a musical.

Agree except for the last part.  It was all that in spite of the entire love story thing.