Author Topic: Choice for President....Democratic  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Choice for President....Democratic
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:53 pm »
atz, It was exciting for me too to register and to vote! Today I was at Ross, wearing my "I voted" sticker. The young girl at the register asked me who I voted for. I asked her if she was 18 and registered. She said she was 18 but not registered. I told her she had better get her butt registered! She didn't seem that interested. I don't get it.

David, you and I must be about the same age. I believe it was Carter who ran against Reagan in 1980 and of coarse lost.

I went to bed last night thinking I would vote for Clinton and changed my mind this morning and in the end voted for Obama.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 12:04:39 am »

Heya,

I was just watching Hillary's speech mid-evening tonight and I got all choked up at something she said just now during her "thank you's" section of her talk.  This is a paraphrase, but it was something like this: 

"I especially would like to thank my mother who was born before women could vote and is watching her daughter on this stage tonight."

To me, that's just such an extraordinary statement. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 10:03:58 pm »
In what year and state was Sen Clinton's mother born?

Women were voting in the US as far back as the end of the Civil War in some states.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »
Well yes in local elections they were in some places. I think Wyoming let them vote statewide in 1879 and I have seen some sources tell of women voting in colonial times because they inherited land. In 1920 they were able to finally vote in all elections.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:11 pm »
Here we go, Dorothy Emma Howell, Sen. Clinton's mother, was born 3 December 1916 in Chicago, Illinois.

http://www.gedview.com/rodham/pedigree.php
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:31 pm »
Thanks Shakes!

I was curious.

And you are right about the 1919 amendment to the US Constitution instucting the states to allow women 21 and over the suffrage. My own Yankee great grandmother on my dad's side was a suffragette in Ohio during the period after the civil war.  I love the pictures I have of that magnificient determined lady!

I just finished restoring several from that period and proudly hang them in my house.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 12:29:01 am »
Women were granted the right to vote in Wyoming Territory in 1869 (it's one of the main reasons that one of Wyoming's state slogans is "the equality state").  But, clearly what Hillary was referencing was the national right to vote, which came later in 1920.  Congress passed the amendment in June of 1919 but it was not ratified into law until August 26, 1920 (of course, famously Tennessee was the state that tipped the balance towards successful ratification).  So, from the date of the first women's suffrage convention in Seneca Falls, NY in 1848 until 1920... it was a 72-year long fight to gain women the right to vote in this country.  This of course, does not count the struggles towards this idea that happened prior to 1848.

You're right, in the early years of the movement it was a state-by-state struggle and strategy for the suffrage movement.  The strategy shifted around 1913 to be a huge, full-fledged national push... leading to the 19th amendment.  The young suffragist Alice Paul, along with a more established suffragist named Carrie Chapman Catt were the two who really saw the movement through to the end in 1920.  Susan B. Anthony, sadly never saw the national goal achieved.

When Susan B. Anthony died in 1906 there were 4 states where women could vote... all in the west: Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho.  She was buried with a flag with only four stars on it.  And, famously, Anthony was arrested in 1872 for the act of voting and she wrote the language that is now the text for the 19th amendment way back in the 1870s.

I co-curated an exhibition on women's suffrage a while back when I was still in graduate school... so this is a particular interest of mine.

Here's a fairly good online timeline of the history of the women's suffrage movement in the U.S.  It's truly an incredibly history.  People nowadays forget what a huge movement and struggle it was.
http://dpsinfo.com/women/history/timeline.html

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 01:47:41 am »
Women were granted the right to vote in Wyoming Territory in 1869 (it's one of the main reasons that one of Wyoming's state slogans is "the equality state").  But, clearly what Hillary was referencing was the national right to vote, which came later in 1920.  Congress passed the amendment in June of 1919 but it was not ratified into law until August 26, 1920 (of course, famously Tennessee was the state that tipped the balance towards successful ratification).  So, from the date of the first women's suffrage convention in Seneca Falls, NY in 1848 until 1920... it was a 72-year long fight to gain women the right to vote in this country.  This of course, does not count the struggles towards this idea that happened prior to 1848.

You're right, in the early years of the movement it was a state-by-state struggle and strategy for the suffrage movement.  The strategy shifted around 1913 to be a huge, full-fledged national push... leading to the 19th amendment.  The young suffragist Alice Paul, along with a more established suffragist named Carrie Chapman Catt were the two who really saw the movement through to the end in 1920.  Susan B. Anthony, sadly never saw the national goal achieved.

When Susan B. Anthony died in 1906 there were 4 states where women could vote... all in the west: Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Idaho.  She was buried with a flag with only four stars on it.  And, famously, Anthony was arrested in 1872 for the act of voting and she wrote the language that is now the text for the 19th amendment way back in the 1870s.

I co-curated an exhibition on women's suffrage a while back when I was still in graduate school... so this is a particular interest of mine.

Here's a fairly good online timeline of the history of the women's suffrage movement in the U.S.  It's truly an incredibly history.  People nowadays forget what a huge movement and struggle it was.
http://dpsinfo.com/women/history/timeline.html

I'd like to see Sen Clinton's exact quote.

If Sen Clinton's mother was born in 1916 in the state of Illinois, then she was born in a state which already allowed women at the time full suffrage. Illinois granted full suffrage to women in 1913.

Is this another factual slip up on Sen Clinton's part? Or is it another hyperbolic exaggeration on her part? Didn't she think anyone would check the facts?

Some time back she shared with us the fact that she was named Hillary after the famous first scaler of Mt Everest, Sir Edmund Hillary. If you check the record you will note that Hillary Clinton was born a few years BEFORE Edmund Hillary scaled Everest. When her parents were choosing Sen Clinton's names, Edmund Hillary was an unknown. What webs we weave.

On the point about the struggle of women to achieve full suffrage. It was indeed a titanic struggle at the time, I have my great grandmother's planners and diaries and have been facinated reading of her challenges in pushing the suffrage issues. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 11:12:11 am »
Hillary's point was perfectly vailid.  It's clear that she was referring to the national right to vote.  The idea that there's a viable female candidate for president less than 100 years since this country saw fit to grant women the right to vote (as a nation) is extraordinary.  Whether you like the candidate or not. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 12:02:42 am »
Hillary's point was perfectly vailid.  It's clear that she was referring to the national right to vote.  The idea that there's a viable female candidate for president less than 100 years since this country saw fit to grant women the right to vote (as a nation) is extraordinary.  Whether you like the candidate or not. 

A woman as a serious candidate for President is AOK with me. I have had no problem many times voting for women in municipal elections, county elections, and state elections. I can't see why anyone should have a problem with a Presidential candidate who is a woman, just because she is a woman.

As far a Sen Clinton's comment about the time frame of her mother's birth, that is a comment that if uttered by other candidates would have elicited no responses or investigations. But, many of us in this country have learned that anything spoken by either of the Clinton's must be analyzed very carefully and not taken at face value.