Author Topic: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?  (Read 47170 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »
Thanks Katie!
So it was a movie! So what? You and I and others talk about it, right??

The casting was surely great!! Even for that child?? Do you ever think or search that??

Many questions still need to be raised and possibly solved about Lureen... including her child!!

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »
Thanks huntinbuddy!

Could it be that Lureen's mother knew that her daughter was pregnant before her time... if I may use that expression; surely??

Plus, her mother knew that Lureen was fooling around before Lureen ever met Jack??
What do you and others think?

Hugs!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 07:56:26 pm »
I'll probably get off topic here, but I saw Bobby as a child that was spoiled from day one by Grandpa and Grandma Newsom.  He probably had any toys and such he wanted with LD's money, and I always assumed Bobby was their first and ONLY grandchild.  I think the Thanksgiving scene at the Twist home, was to show the viewers just how pissed Jack had become with the whole situation of his father-in-law spoiling the child.  Jack took control of the situation and let LD have it that day.  The comment  LD made that "boys should watch football" was particularly irritating to Jack.  I'm not sure if he said that to question Jack's masculinity, or to just be an asshole and try to run the family Thanksgiving show; but Jack told him how it was, and I was proud of how he did it.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if you were right about Bobby being spoiled by his grandparents.

And I've always wondered, too--where the heck did they get that name, Bobby (Robert?)? His father's name is Jack (John), and one grandfather is John (Twist) and the other is L.D., whatever those initials stand for. So where the heck did Bobby come from?  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 08:01:52 pm »

Could it be that Lureen's mother knew that her daughter was pregnant before her time... if I may use that expression; surely??

Plus, her mother knew that Lureen was fooling around before Lureen ever met Jack??
It has always seemed to me that mothers and daughters have closer bonds than fathers and sons.  Even in early 60's Texas, if Lureen had decided to be sexually active, nothing is going to stop that hormonal locomotive.  There was no doubt in my mind when she had Jack in the car, she had already been there and done that!  No gal whips off her top like that if everything is still intact down below, if you know what I mean.  Now whether Lureen discussed her sex life with mom or not is questionable.  I don't believe oral contraceptives came into existence until the early 70's?  is that correct?  So Mom might have had "the talk" with her, but considering the time period, and if she grew up on a ranch or farm, I highly doubt it.  Sex was just not discussed.  The only thing we know for sure is she has to have the car home by midnight!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 08:08:02 pm »
I wouldn't at all be surprised if you were right about Bobby being spoiled by his grandparents.

And I've always wondered, too--where the heck did they get that name, Bobby (Robert?)? His father's name is Jack (John), and one grandfather is John (Twist) and the other is L.D., whatever those initials stand for. So where the heck did Bobby come from?  :laugh:

No doubt L.D. suggested it....maybe it was his father's name.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »
No, i dont think she was, i think this is a bit of a stretch....

Laureen was just interested in Jack, and Jack didnt under stand why, that's what intrigued Jack about Laureen so much. When they first met it was a example of what Laureen's characters about.

Laureen is in a rush because her dad wants her back by 12. So she confronts Jack, very uncommon in those days. She tells him 'What are you waiting for cowboy, a mating call"
He is waiting for a mating call, but not from her. When he was on the  mountain he gave Ennis a mating call or dance. So his waiting there for a mating call from some one like the Rodeo Clown. But its Laureen who gives him just that. She dances with him. She doing her mating dance to get what she wants, which she is use to getting. Jack never gets what he wants....

Laureen is more like her father than she'll like to amit. She is a business women and that's what she does best, Laureen being in a rush with Jack is showing her personality. Shes a women who gets what she wants, she has a deadline and she makes it. That she doesnt really care for her father. But she obays his rules....

Laureen being pregnant is a stretch, a bit of a one at that. I dont think it deserves "Topic of the week"

How do we really know Laureen and Jack were together for a year or so before she feel pregnant?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »
How do we really know Laureen and Jack were together for a year or so before she feel pregnant?
The timeline, as it can be gleaned from the film and the published screenplay, is the basis for knowing that Jack and Lureen could not have been together that long before her pregnancy (and thus opens speculation to whether she was pregnant at the time of their first meeting). We know that Jack and Lureen met no earlier than the summer of 1966, and by September 1967, when Jack is reunited with Ennis, they have married and putatively produced a child together that Jack claims is "eight months old".

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 10:08:27 pm »
Well, at the end of the film Alma Jr. says, "Wedding'll be June 5th..."   June 5th of that year was a Tuesday.

Point is, there are other details and timelines in the film that aren't precisely correct.  Nit-picking over an incorrect date . . . it's just a red herring IMO.

moremojo

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 10:46:22 pm »
I agree, Laura, that many of us probably give too much credence to little details that were probably not meant to convey too much meaning on the part of the filmmakers. It can still make for fun speculation, though.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 10:48:19 pm »
Well, at the end of the film Alma Jr. says, "Wedding'll be June 5th..."   June 5th of that year was a Tuesday.

Point is, there are other details and timelines in the film that aren't precisely correct.  Nit-picking over an incorrect date . . . it's just a red herring IMO.

And expensive to reshoot something if someone did notice the discrepancy. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.