Author Topic: Ombudsman for BetterMost Poll  (Read 12231 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ombudsman for BetterMost Poll
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:05 pm »
I never felt comfortable on Dave Cullen. It seems to have so many rules and regulations. I always felt that anything I said would be analyzed and analyzed. I never want to see that happen here so if having things such as Ombudsmans would lead to that I say "no." I also don't want anyone to get the idea that I have anything against DC. I have many friends there who are great people. Some of them are even moderators. I guess the DC style is just different and I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 04:16:01 am »
I never felt comfortable on Dave Cullen. It seems to have so many rules and regulations. I always felt that anything I said would be analyzed and analyzed. I never want to see that happen here so if having things such as Ombudsmans would lead to that I say "no." I also don't want anyone to get the idea that I have anything against DC. I have many friends there who are great people. Some of them are even moderators. I guess the DC style is just different and I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere.
ditto---if an ombudsman position might cause this, to hell with it.

At the same time...I can't help thinking after careful consideration we try it. It can always be abolished swiftly if it seems to be negative. BM isn't like Congress or Parliament, where you need to take 1100 motions to do anything. If it's no good, Phillip should have the right to just say so and get rid of it. He's nobodies fool. And we all trust him
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 01:20:43 am »
As someone who can be overly sensitive, I voted "yes" However I'm not completely clear how an Ombudsman would be different than a Moderator.

Also, I'm kind of wondering who the heck would want the position. I think moderating must be hard and time consuming enough.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 03:10:00 am »
Well, I voted no.

It would be great if it would work, but, apart from complaints about administrative matters, moderators and obvious personal attacks, it is hard to see how one person could possibly carry out such a responsibility and judge such a large and diverse group of people, determine who was over-reacting to something they see as wrong, who was simply better at pushing their case, or who was not as proficient with the english language ... and still be SEEN to be impartial.
Ditto 3 or more judges. If one of them disagreed with the other two, that would indicate that the judgement is suspect.

Judgements could only be trusted if they were perfectly correct. If they were sometimes based on seemingly logical, but incorrect, assumptions, someone will be unfairly treated, and then the whole exercise would be pointless.

How would an ombudsman collect the 'evidence' and determine if a complaint is 'substantiated' ? This is a community in cyberspace, where nothing is evident, and nothing is substantial, where anyone can sound genuinely agrieved, and anyone else can make incorrect assumptions based upon that.

Certainly, there a some very nice BetterMostians who would be an excellent choice, but who, because they are nice, might be the least likely to nominate for the job. And then we could end up with someone who just likes judging.

OMO, but the only useful role for an ombudsman would seem to be as a confidential 'ear' and arbitrator of matters already raised with administrators and moderators, and even then it would be a very difficult task.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
Actually with as many people as there are posting on this board, it really is amazing how little bickering there is and how well people get along. There are more snipes that go on where I work.

I'm wondering if there was a dispute, having a thread dedicated to that. Maybe a section of the board. Dumb idea?  ???

injest

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 10:42:04 pm »
Actually with as many people as there are posting on this board, it really is amazing how little bickering there is and how well people get along. There are more snipes that go on where I work.

I'm wondering if there was a dispute, having a thread dedicated to that. Maybe a section of the board. Dumb idea?  ???

well it WOULD draw a crowd...people love a fight... ;)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 12:39:51 am »
May I add. Alternatives are needed. An ombudsman is an alternative.

That does not mean that Phillip and moderators are not needed nor unfair; they do their very best or best!! I applaud them and all members!! We all have faults and good points; so do I too!! It's already overpowering, such great surveying task for Phillip and moderators, and growing at a rapid speed!!

Certain things remain unsolved still on Bettermost, unfortunately; and, an ombudsman can help likely - and my I add surely as independant from all: owner, morderators, members!! I see the NEED MORE and MORE for growth; certain things have become stale and many are hurting (either they have been hurted or feel as that is so, plus they or  others need help to solve issues which they consider needs - and need - I accent, everybody needs help on Bettermost and I do too; we need and can reach out more much, much more with certain dynamics (ways) and core subjects (needs)... may I  note.

More rules?  And, that growth of Bettermost (with more members or same number) does NOT need to be more rules; the present rule of Phillip's of no personal attacks will continue surely, and might be the only one needed. Unresolved issues as personal attacks, different cultures or thoughts, emotions, varied sexual orientations, numerous subjects, raw emotions, etc., will need an ombudsman, surely!! Plus:Structures are needed too, if an ombudsman decide that can be results.

There has to be an ombudsman; to me there is no doubt about that. For justice. To help everyone too, which included Phillip, moderators and all members!!

That does not mean that Phillip and moderators are not needed, nor any member and non-members.

Presently, I meet some members who write things that are not fair, as misunderstandings are happening, and some personal attacks too (before and during the recent actors passing and after, and surely that will continue) as that is human nature. Some members have harmed me for no reason without checking to me if there was truth nor to see if I made a mistake; I am sure some harm I likely did also to other members; that is  also human nature; nobody is perfect!!

There are non-members that have reached me privately via my computor and are afraid to become Bettermost members, do not want to become Bettermost members since they have examined it, and are not pleased with it... yet. Of course, we need to be better and better. I think that non-members as well as members want Bettermost to be better... become so with some changes forever!! WE are not blind to that!!

I am often misinterpreted wrongly by many members. You say that we have freedom, yes we do to a certain extend, but that is changing too negatively unfortunately: some do not want me to use, for instance, the following words:
murders, islam,  lesbians, and many others names or expressions that other members used at times and often...  to name a few words but that other members use at times or often, and even gay (often, I was told not to even use the word gay as homosexual - for heaven sake!! I have been attacked often by some members, wronly I repeat being called disrespectful but they did the same and some continued to do so!!

There are some homosexual gay men subjects that we are NOT allowed to talk about so far; why? Is Annie and the BM talk about only heterosexuality!! ?? I think that most of us, if not all of us, are here to talk about Annie's book and the Brokeback Mountain movie, and about all the many, many, many  issues unnumerable ones it illustrates... touching us!!

Lesbianism seems also to be a taboo for some; we here have been ridiculed or likewise, when we try to talk about lesbian issues. About gay bashings, about murders, about religions, and many other issues!! We need to vent... at times, and maybe an ombudsman can see that and give results like how and much more... like I do not know yet, and the ombudsman will find solution to that!!

There are also many female issues that need to be addressed, but too many members shy way from that, do not even start a thread about that!

We do need gay (homosexual) gay moderators; there seems to be none or not enough; an ombudsman could verify that; and if the owner (Phillip) gives that power to an ombudsman, that a report can be done, to create research, which will be analysed by the ombudsman, and could recommend or not added gay moderators for certain reasons and go ahead to do it if that ombudsman had that added power. This is only one example.

So far, I see many gay men who are members wanting out... considering quitting Bettermost and some have and not returned unfortunately to present their expertise (questions, answer, research, etc., to help), even though Bettermost  is the best so far. You say segregation; yes, to a certain point... and it's needed; that does not mean that gays will not go into other sections (as you said segregations), as they want; and vice versa. Like it or not, when two persons speak, that is two segregations!! Plus there are other bigger group(s), and the overall society (in this case Bettermost forum).

Segrations is already here, like or not; there are groups on here now!! That are facts!!

There is no perfect solution anywhere and we can still become better (isn't that why it's called Bettermost?)!!

Ombudsman is much more than a judge: it's an impartial one.. also a researcher, an analyst, etc., a humanist!!

I say that we also need more moderators; I do not feel more free when homosexual men issues have two females as moderators; surely am not the only on!!  I know that females, for instance, feel better when they talk TOGETHER about certain subjects; for instance, a girl talks to her mother more freely about female sex than with her father on certain vaginal troubles or health; I now that my mother who is in her 80's always has and refuses still to talk to me about that and prefers to do so with her daughters or sister-in-law or with other women.

As for certain subjects, I suppose that there could be 3  gay (male homosexuals) moderators for directing gay issues or to result a tie in a complaint or a request. For female issues, 3 females for instance. Etc; for justice for all.

If a complaint is not solve there mutually, then the ombudman's is contacted; that is another task for the ombudsman, as ONE I foresee.

Of course, an ombudsman must use logic, be fair, etc. for justice, for peace among members, for also making programs or sections in Bettermost to be added as they need to be developped and give that task to Phillip I suppose who will with moderators; these are specifics I have seen about ombudsman... as a 2nd task!

As 3rd task, the ombudsman decision is final!!

I hope that I brought some reasons for an ombudsman that will not be shy and that will do its job with fairness for all members.

No harm done to anyone, I am grateful to all,

awaiting your news,

hugs!!

injest

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:25 am »
just a note, Artiste...we have several gay men as moderators..

David
Nutmeg Guy
Scott
Aussie Chris
Shakestheground
Bruce

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »
Thanks injest!

That is news to me! A surprise! Maybe we all should know that, if it was written somewhere??

I still feel uncomfortable for certain gay issues when female moderators are only the ones there... so I would prefer gay moderators ONLY for SOME not all  homosexual iissues.

Likewise for female issues, I think only female moderators would be more at home for CERTAIN female issues? - I do not know since I am a male, but I think that is so for some or all females!!

I like your news and thanks for it as I discover it and to enhance and relax lifes' routes,
hugs!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 07:16:07 pm »
Also, I'm kind of wondering who the heck would want the position.

True - a thankless job an obudsman...

:-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/