Author Topic: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion  (Read 95945 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:55:23 pm »

You are right about the miniseries and I too liked the scenes at the lesbian bar...
Of course, it was also the setting where the phrase "tipping the velvet" was used in the film.  :)

Having said all I've said about Flo in the movie vs. the novel, I really enjoyed Florence in the miniseries as portrayed by Jodhi May.

I am sure we'll discuss Flo fully down the road, but..
I remember one scene in particular when she stands in the shadows and watches Nan sing to little Cyril in the kitchen.  Flo's expression in that scene has always stayed with me - it was filled with awe, lust, hunger and a sort of repressed excitement all in one.  Loved it.  :)

*sigh*
All this talk of TTV is getting to me..lol.. I think I'll pop the DVD in shortly.. ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:19:06 am »
You are right about the miniseries and I too liked the scenes at the lesbian bar...
Of course, it was also the setting where the phrase "tipping the velvet" was used in the film.  :)

:)  Yeah... I think they really had to explain the title somehow and somewhere.  It's a cute conversation... and again it just goes to your point about Flo being pretty naive in the mini-series.  I mean, I don't think it takes all that much imagination to figure out what the phrase might be an innuendo about...

I wish they had used the word "tom" more in the mini-series.  It's such an interesting thing to realize that "tom" and "tomboy" are completely archaic slang for lesbians.  It's honestly something I learned from the book TTV (nice abbreviation by the way  ;D ).

I remember one scene in particular when she stands in the shadows and watches Nan sing to little Cyril in the kitchen.  Flo's expression in that scene has always stayed with me - it was filled with awe, lust, hunger and a sort of repressed excitement all in one.  Loved it.  :)

*sigh*
All this talk of TTV is getting to me..lol.. I think I'll pop the DVD in shortly.. ;)

Yeah, that's a great moment when the viewer really gets a sense of how much Flo really is developing feelings for Nan.

I totally love the complexities of what Nan looks like when she's in her role as nurse to Cyril.  Here I'm referring to moments when she's wearing her stereotypical milkmaid outfit (with the long skirt, market basket, etc.) walking down the street holding him... and one particular scene where she's standing in line with a bunch of other women and she's holding Cyril... those scenes really make you realize how invisible lesbians can be and have been in history.  In those scenes (just looking at her with the long skirt and baby, etc.)... you'd never, never in a million years think that's what a lesbian looks like.  I think it's really brilliant. 

And, the overall complexities of the family dynamic that falls into place with Flo is pretty amazing too. I mean, again, just looking at Nan holding the baby, from a distance no one would ever suspect that the baby belonged to the ex-girlfriend of her current girlfriend.  I love how those scenes at the end thoroughly re-configure conventional domesticity into something that ends up being very pleasant for Flo, Nan and Ralph.

There's definitely a lot of chemistry between Nan and Flo and the actresses are great at conveying a lot with their eyes I think.  I love the scene on the bench with Ralph and the baby where Nan and Flo exchanges those flirty, quick glances. (Again, that's a scene where you'd think passersby would never, never guess the reality of Nan and Flo's identities... especially Nan's with her complex history).

I just watched Fingersmith not too long ago.  But, now, I agree, I'll definitely re-watch TTV tomorrow after work. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 12:58:11 am »
I just watched Fingersmith not too long ago.  But, now, I agree, I'll definitely re-watch TTV tomorrow after work. ..

I'll re-watch it too and we can carry on our discussion from there, how's that?

I love these discussions, btw, Amanda.  ;)

Night!
~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »
Heya,

I'm here to bring up a topic that's been raised quite a bit recently in the "Bisexuality" thread in Safe Haven... having to do with gaydar and feeling confident about making a "first-move" with a member of the same sex.  Of course, the nervousness and anxiety over this has a lot to do with basic fear of rejection... that all people probably face regardless of sexual orientation.  But, in a same-sex scenario... there's the added fear and pressure of wondering if you're reading the person correctly in even assessing if they're open to having a relationship with a same-sex partner.

This really seems to be a point or issue that's raised strongly in Tipping the Velvet in both the book and the mini-series.  There's such a long, drawn out point towards the beginning when Nan and Kitty are in a "just friends / just roommates" situation where both of them aren't understanding the other's interest and the mutual crush developing between them.  I mean, I think it's meant to be clear to the viewer of the mini-series that Nan, being very naive about lesbian culture at this point in the story, is just completely missing huge signals and clues about Kitty.  I love those scenes where Nan and Kitty are lying in their shared bed in the apartment and Nan is so desparately trying to figure out how to convey her feelings for Kitty.  And, her fear is the fear of a lot of lesbians/bisexuals I think... the fear of ruining a friendship or somehow causing offense.

I love the scene the morning after Kitty and Nan are together for the first time when Nan said she didn't realize that two women even could "go all the way" together... and then Kitty's reply indicates that she's probably dated a healthy number of women.  I think that little scene is just so gorgeous... I mean the way it's filmed... the lighting... the way the women look, etc.  Really lovely.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 03:28:25 pm »
Glad you revived the thread, Amanda.  :)

I agree with you.

Nancy knew the second she saw Kitty that she was attracted to her, even if she didn't know what that translated to in the real lives of two women at that time.  Remember the scene where she tried to tell of her feelings for Kitty to her sister, Alice (after she saw Kitty's performance at the theater).  She couldn't even find the words to adequately describe them, except to say that the sight of Kitty made her want to weep and smile at the same time; it made her sore in her chest.  She didn't seem to realize at that time that what she was feeling was a strong (perhaps sexual) attraction to Kitty.

I don't think it ever occurred to her that Kitty could ever reciprocate her feelings.  She held Kitty on such a pedestal, she never really grasped the possibility that Kitty could ever want to be anything more than "sisters".

I too really enjoy the "morning after" scene & the way it was shot in that little room they shared together.  Nancy's body language had changed, her eyes were brighter and I would even go as far as saying that you could sense that a load had been lifted off her shoulders.  When she asked Kitty, "Didn't you guess how I felt about you?" ... Kitty replied along the lines of, "I couldn't be sure...it's always easier to be friends.."  That sums it up pretty nicely.  Until someone takes a risk and steps into unfamiliar territory, a romance/love that could've blossomed stays repressed, who knows for how long. 
[Take BBM for example, if Jack had not taken the risk he did that night, the story would've turned out quite differently, I'm sure.  :)]

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »
I thought a few pics to liven up the discussions... ;)

Morning after...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:30 am »
I ordered Tipping the Velvet tonight on Amazon...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 03:35:56 am »

I hope you join us here for the discussion after you've watched it Lynne..  :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:29 am »
Thanks, Milli - I will try to!  But I ordered the book, not the DVD...maybe I'll have to order both?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 01:02:29 pm »

Come join us anyway when you've finished your reading or during...whenever you like.
Hope you enjoy the book.  Sarah Waters' story-telling skills are genius.  :)