Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142277 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #640 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:46 pm »
I was referring to the first line of the article Amanda provided the link for:

"Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lange made jokes about the recent death of Heath Ledger during a Feb. 2 comedy show in Las Vegas...."

But there are other "jokes" on the internet.  :(

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #641 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:32 pm »
I saw something in the UK metro today about an extra thing DDL said at the Baftas - I hadn't seen that extra part before.

You can see it online here (although the article I saw was a bit longer with the additonal things he said at the baftas too):

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=98384&in_page_id=7

Bafta winner Daniel Day Lewis has warned fans and media to now leave Heath Ledger's former fiancée Michelle Williams to grieve in peace.

He then labelled the focus on the Brokeback Mountain star's death 'obscene'.

Talking after collecting the Best Actor gong for 'There Will Be Blood', he said he would be not be making any repeat of his emotional tribute made at the Screen Actors Guild Awards to the late Australian.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #642 on: February 12, 2008, 05:13:46 pm »
When you think about it, they're not doing anything that we haven't been doing here, except it's part of a tour that people pay for.  Like it or not, that building and Heath's passing have become part of the story of New York City.  Although it seems too soon, it's understandable to me.  :-\
You are right Meryl. We do the same thing here on BM. .. I feared they were actually letting people inside the appartment.. And you know, I can't stop thinking that somehow we are partly responsible for what happened.. Hm, I said it.. I don't know. It's weird. From what I understand Heath was craving for some peaceful sleep and was suffering from not having enough [I never sleep enough and it does impact your state of mind]. Of course I don't know what really tormented him - they could be trillion reasons, but it was reapeated in articles (even before he died) that all he wanted was acting, because he loved it. He didn't want to be a star. BBM surely made him a star and now I'm wondering, if it wasn't the start of the end.. Including us. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this and I should probably only speak for myself, but part of me feels responsible for what happened.. ..  :-X

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #643 on: February 12, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
Well I think the key sentence here is: "...all he wanted was acting, because he loved it." He was working on a film, doing something he loved, pushing himself hard.

He was always very energetic — almost hyperkinetic. People with that makeup (in whatever profession) frequently have issues with not being able to rest. He worked through the middle of winter with many other people around and probably contracted walking pneumonia — a hazard for anybody, star or not.

We feel so intensely for him that we may assume (or wish) that those feelings may affect his destiny some way or another. But I just don't know that the level of adoration from Brokeback fans really comes into play here.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 12, 2008, 06:55:43 pm »
I was just surfing some news websites and came across this (irritating) little article posted on msnbc.

For what it's worth...

Turning Ledger’s Death into Business
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23115629/

How very tawdry.   >:(   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #645 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:43 pm »
Germaine Greer, who was acquainted with Heath, writes of celebrities being 'victims of celebrity healthcare.'

Warning: details of his death are discussed.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2255650,00.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #646 on: February 13, 2008, 01:42:41 am »
Germaine Greer, who was acquainted with Heath, writes of celebrities being 'victims of celebrity healthcare.'

Warning: details of his death are discussed.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,2255650,00.html

While I'm sure there is a valid point in this article, and while thirty years ago, I never would have imagined that I would have used a computer (!) to refute (!) an argument of Germaine Greer's (!) publicly (!), I have to question these following statements of hers:

The poorest patient on the NHS gets better treatment than a celebrity trying to live and work on both sides of the Atlantic. 

That sounds so arrogantly naive.  I cannot believe she could say this.

When he is pushing himself to the limit, the superstar has no time to visit a health practitioner.

The superstar would not need to.  The superstar can have a doctor come to him.

Ledger went home to Perth for Christmas, but Christmas, as we all know, is more stress than rest, especially for Ledger who was being persecuted by the unspeakable Australian press.

Actually, we know that Heath made that beautiful call to the newspaper guy, thanking him and all the press for leaving him in peace on that particular trip.

His body, strapped flat to the gurney as the paramedics removed it from his apartment, struck me as much too thin to be that of the well-set young man I had breakfast with in Berlin two years ago.

Agreed.

An actor such as Ledger, who seems to tear his best work out from somewhere deep inside him, is as highly tuned and fragile as an athlete.

Agreed.

mvansand76

« Reply #647 on: February 13, 2008, 04:20:30 am »

His body, strapped flat to the gurney as the paramedics removed it from his apartment, struck me as much too thin to be that of the well-set young man I had breakfast with in Berlin two years ago.

Agreed.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

What does that mean? That it wasn't him?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #648 on: February 13, 2008, 04:29:57 am »

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

What does that mean? That it wasn't him?

I think she meant that he seemed much thinner than when she met him two years previous to that.  Too thin.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #649 on: February 13, 2008, 04:32:23 am »
Germaine Greer has made a profession of saying things for the sensationalism value. She thrives on it. I wouldn't take too much notice of what she says.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection