Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142313 times)

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #970 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:35 am »
 :(
tonight Heath won best supporting actor at the Golden Globes but what a bittersweet
moment it was - i surprised myself and burst into tears, I thought how much of a loss there is
now in the film world - I hope that the award eventually ends up with Matilda so she
can know that her daddy was loved by people from all over the world - Christopher Nolan
gave a wonderful little speech while accepting the award on Heath's behalf (I hope someone
caught it on YouTube)  :'( :'(
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #971 on: January 12, 2009, 11:01:28 am »
:(
tonight Heath won best supporting actor at the Golden Globes but what a bittersweet
moment it was - i surprised myself and burst into tears, I thought how much of a loss there is
now in the film world - I hope that the award eventually ends up with Matilda so she
can know that her daddy was loved by people from all over the world - Christopher Nolan
gave a wonderful little speech while accepting the award on Heath's behalf (I hope someone
caught it on YouTube)  :'( :'(

It is on youtube  and I too burst into tears. I loved the speech by Chris. Nolan, about a huge hole in the future of cinema. He is a gentleman and an eloquent one at that.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #972 on: January 12, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
It is on youtube  and I too burst into tears.
Could you post the link please?  :-* :-*

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #973 on: January 12, 2009, 11:35:24 am »
Could you post the link please?  :-* :-*

j.U.d.E.

Here Jude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYjfsR-wWg

Thanks to Eric who posted the link on HHH.

Edited to embed it here:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYjfsR-wWg[/youtube]

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #974 on: January 12, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
Granted, she may be hormonal, but Angelina Jolie's eyes brimming with tears (in the Critics' Choice clip) gave me a bit of respect for her.  Not usually a fan, but it does comfort me in a perverse way when other stars are shown to be missing or at least respectful of Heath.  I was also impressed by Tom Cruise's reaction to his winning the Golden Globe - he was nominated in that category, too, and actually seemed embarassed that he was nominated for such a small, fluffy role (in Tropic Thunder, I believe it was).  He was the first to stand up and sincerely applaud after Heath's name was read at the Golden Globes.  Considering all the Scientology anti-drugs crap he believes in, that was really big of him.

Poor Christian Bale looked extremely sad, too.   :'(

Yes, even more than the tributes at the awards last year, these wins bring it all back, don't they?   :'(   :'(

However, I'm so glad he's winning.  I really believe that he deserves it and should have/would have won had he still been with us, too.  Whenever he was not on the screen in "The Dark Knight," I wished he was.  THAT'S what that calibre of powerful acting does and that's what most deserves the awards.
No more beans!

Offline optom3

« Reply #975 on: January 12, 2009, 11:54:09 am »
Granted, she may be hormonal, but Angelina Jolie's eyes brimming with tears (in the Critics' Choice clip) gave me a bit of respect for her.  Not usually a fan, but it does comfort me in a perverse way when other stars are shown to be missing or at least respectful of Heath.  I was also impressed by Tom Cruise's reaction to his winning the Golden Globe - he was nominated in that category, too, and actually seemed embarassed that he was nominated for such a small, fluffy role (in Tropic Thunder, I believe it was).  He was the first to stand up and sincerely applaud after Heath's name was read at the Golden Globes.  Considering all the Scientology anti-drugs crap he believes in, that was really big of him.

Poor Christian Bale looked extremely sad, too.   :'(

Yes, even more than the tributes at the awards last year, these wins bring it all back, don't they?   :'(   :'(

However, I'm so glad he's winning.  I really believe that he deserves it and should have/would have won had he still been with us, too.  Whenever he was not on the screen in "The Dark Knight," I wished he was.  THAT'S what that calibre of powerful acting does and that's what most deserves the awards.

I agree with you about Tom Cruise. I have  literally just finished telling someone he had gone up in my estimation 100 fold. You cannot fake that degree of sincerity.I also thought Kate Winslet had a tear in her eyes.

I am finding this round of awards truly horrendous, I simply cannot stop the tears falling. I now know the Oscars will be dreadful. It is simply all wrong.

The one  thing Heath really wanted from acting, was recognition from his peers. Now he has it in spades and is not here to witness it. Too little, too late. It somehow seems worse that he is winning all these awards for the joker, albeit an incredible tour de force, yet he did not for Ennis, which IMHO was an even more astounding performance.

The joker was exceptionally well acted no doubt. It did not however change my life, Ennis did, for ever.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #976 on: January 12, 2009, 12:19:23 pm »
Here Jude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJYjfsR-wWg

Thanks to Eric who posted the link on HHH

Ah, thank you Chrissi (and Eric). I'll watch it tonight at home.

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #977 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:53 pm »
...all these awards for the joker, albeit an incredible tour de force, yet he did not for Ennis, which IMHO was an even more astounding performance.

The joker was exceptionally well acted no doubt. It did not however change my life, Ennis did, for ever.

You won't get any agument over this.

I thought the same about Tom Cruise as Barb and Fi described. I can't help but like him a bit for that. I know he's an actor, he could make us believe what he wants when he knows he's likely to be on camera. But yet, to me he seemed sincere.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2009, 02:32:20 pm »

I agree with you about Tom Cruise. I have  literally just finished telling someone he had gone up in my estimation 100 fold. You cannot fake that degree of sincerity.I also thought Kate Winslet had a tear in her eyes.

I am finding this round of awards truly horrendous, I simply cannot stop the tears falling. I now know the Oscars will be dreadful. It is simply all wrong.

The one  thing Heath really wanted from acting, was recognition from his peers. Now he has it in spades and is not here to witness it. Too little, too late. It somehow seems worse that he is winning all these awards for the joker, albeit an incredible tour de force, yet he did not for Ennis, which IMHO was an even more astounding performance.

You are so right optom.   The tears fell for me too, when they announced Heath's name as the winner of the award, and then listening to the acceptance speech.  I was so hoping that, for some reason, they would show Jake's face during the acceptance speech. . . . . .  but it was not to be I guess.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
On a lighter note, I wish they would have shown Tom Cruise again after they showed the scene with The Joker doing the impression of him in 'Jerry Maguire'.  Maybe that would have been in poor taste somehow, but I'm sure he laughed in a good-natured way.

I agree with everyone - I truly believe he was sincere in his reverence for him.

Did anyone else notice that when Jake came out to do his bit, they for some reason shot to Tom Cruise, who looked as if he was saying something like, "Ooh.  I didn't know he was going to be here" and then paid close attention?

Or am I totally anthropomorphizing Tom in general?  ;)
No more beans!