Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142253 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #990 on: January 19, 2009, 05:26:25 pm »
Thanks for posting this.

I'd say this is exiting news, but then, thinking about the bits of the video I've seen and the theme of the song, depression, I'm not sure when I'll be ready to watch this.  :-\

But it's great that Nick Drake's music is getting more attention. He was a very talented artist.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline optom3

« Reply #991 on: January 19, 2009, 07:29:29 pm »

I just discovered this linked through the CNN website's entertainment section.  I'm at work, so I haven't had time to read through this whole story... so I can't at all vouch for its merits. It looks like it includes a photo gallery.  I thought I'd provide a link in case folks are curious.

Heath Ledger: The Untold Story
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20252991,00.html

What a truly lovely article, so heartfelt, not the usual throw away set pieces. I loved the comment, I have never had any desire to sleep with a man, but if I did, Heath would be the one!!!

I also loved reading the he felt for oncehe would be in charge of his part of the press junket for TDK. Can it really be so nearly a year. It feels like yesterday.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #992 on: January 26, 2009, 05:33:25 am »
Heath's sisters gave a statement on the Oscar nomination.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/5277975/ledger-family-proud-of-oscar-nod/

Ledger family 'proud' of Oscar nod

Heath Ledger's family say they are very proud of his posthumous Oscar nomination.

Ledger is the hot favourite to win the best supporting actor Academy Award for his performance as The Joker in last year's Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight .

But in a bittersweet twist, the honour came on the first anniversary of the Perth-born actor's death.

On this day in 2008, Ledger died of an accidental prescription drug overdose in his New York apartment.

Today the Ledgers returned to the scene of his wake - Perth's Cottesloe Beach.

Sister Kate Ledger says the family is filled with pride, but still overcome by grief.

"Today is the anniversary of Heath's death ... It seems like nearly yesterday [that we were here] and we are all nursing broken hearts," she said.

"Like anyone who loses a family member, it's opened our eyes to the intense suffering and painful journey that is death.

"We feel truly blessed to have Heath's beautiful daughter Matilda and her mum Michelle [Williams] in our lives," she added.

"Michelle is doing an amazing job with 'our girl' and together we will cherish every moment of her steps though life."

Sister Ashleigh Bell says Ledger has left behind an unbelievable legacy for his daughter.

"Today is also a day for us to celebrate with the news of Heath's Oscar nomination," she said.

"Although we would love to have him here with us, we are so proud and so excited on his behalf.

"What an unbelievable legacy he has left for Matilda and our family.

"We will take this opportunity today to honour his wonderful life and take comfort in knowing Heath will continue to touch future generations through this amazing art form."

No actor has won a posthumous Academy Award since 1976, when Australian actor Peter Finch was recognised for his role as a crazed TV anchorman in Network.

Earlier this month, Ledger won the best supporting actor title at the Golden Globes for his frightening turn as The Joker - a role originally made famous by Jack Nicholson .

He has also picked up a Critics Choice and Online Film Critics Society award this season.

The Dark Knight picked up a total of eight Oscar nominations, most in the technical categories. But it failed to earn either a best picture or best director nomination.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button leads the pack with 13 nominations.

Six thousand members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will now vote for who should win the industry's highest honour on February 22 at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

Here's a video it it. It's in the upper right corner. On the same page is an aritcle about Gary Oldman accepting a SAG Award on Heath's behalf.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/emotional-gary-oldman-accepts-sag-award-on-heath-ledgers-behalf_article_13254

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #993 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:05 pm »
For those who didn´t watch the SAG Awards
Here´s Gary Oldman accepting the award in Heath´s name

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #994 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:18 pm »
I've been wanting to see that.  And Gary Oldman is such an outstanding actor, as well.  Thank you for posting that, BuffyMon!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #995 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:10 pm »

Thank you Monika! I've been searching for it on youtube, but didn't find it (maybe it was too early yesterday).

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #996 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:09 pm »
Thanks sweetie  :-* :-* :-*

I looked for it yesterday but didn't find it.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #997 on: January 27, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »
I think all these award ceremonies where Heath is recognized by means of director or co-stars accepting his award with grace and dignity make it more likely he'll get the Oscar too. Everyone in the Academy knows by now it will be a dignified moment if they do vote for him - and it'll be their last chance  :'( :'( :'( to recognize his talent.

Ironically enough, I had the opportunity to watch "Doubt" over the weekend and I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman did an outstanding job in a demanding and nuanced role interpretation that appealed to me in terms of its acting far more than the Joker did, when I'm being honest. It's a dreadfully darn injust thing that Heath didn't win the Oscar for Ennis like he totally deserved, - and then PSH could have won his for Father what's-his-name in Doubt instead.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #998 on: January 27, 2009, 08:55:13 pm »

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Gary looked up their to heaven, eh?

Thanks so much for the link.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #999 on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:27 am »
Yes, Monika, I had been looking for it too, so thank you very much for posting it.  Thank you to everyone who posts Heath info.  I read it all.