Author Topic: Day Three - It All Blows Up in John Gibson's Face + New Video!  (Read 32057 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
GLAAD going after John Gibson Cruelly Mocks Heath Ledger's Death
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:13 pm »
and his Role in Brokeback Mountain.  At the end of the article, there are a list of phone numbers and email addresses to let FOX know how you feel.

Link: http://www.glaad.org/action/calls_detail.php?id=4189

Article:

January 24, 2008

Phone: (646) 871-8019    Email: [email protected]
  [ send to friend ]
 [ Take Action! ] 
You must Sign In to use the Take Action! feature. 

Listen to Clip
Fox News Radio - John Gibson Show (1.22.08) Audio of John Gibson’s comments regarding Heath Ledger.
[ listen ]

MSNBC - Live with Dan Abrams (1.23.08) Abrams criticizes the Westboro Baptist Church for planning to picket Heath Ledger’s funeral and Fox News host John Gibson for using Brokeback Mountain to mock Ledger’s death.
[ watch ]

MSNBC - Countdown with Keith Olbermann (1.23.08) Olbermann makes Fox News host John Gibson his "Worst Person in the World" for mocking the death of Heath Ledger on his radio show by playing the iconic "Why can’t I quit you?" quote from Brokeback Mountain.[ watch ]

======================================================================
In the wake of Heath Ledger’s death, people around the world are mourning the gifted actor’s passing and are expressing their appreciation for how he changed hearts and minds with his Oscar-nominated role as a gay cowboy in 2005’s Brokeback Mountain.

In a stark and disturbing contrast, Fox News Radio host John Gibson cruelly mocked Ledger’s death and his role in Brokeback Mountain during his Jan. 22 John Gibson Show radio broadcast.  During the show, Gibson played an audio clip from the film of Jake Gyllenhaal’s character, Jack, telling Ennis (played by Ledger), "I wish I knew how to quit you." Gibson then coldly quipped, "Well, he found out how to quit you."  Then, after playing another audio clip from the movie of Ledger’s character saying, "We're dead," Gibson mockingly said, "We’re dead" and played the clip again.

“Gibson’s remarks are vulgar and disgusting,” said Rashad Robinson, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Media Programs. “It’s sickening that Gibson would exploit Heath Ledger’s tragic death to promote such hurtful intolerance. And to do so at a time when family and friends are grieving shows a level of insensitivity that is beyond the pale.”

Beyond his mockery of Ledger’s role in Brokeback Mountain, Gibson called the actor a "weirdo" with "a serious drug problem," and callously speculated on the reasons Ledger might have committed suicide.  Gibson had previously mocked Brokeback Mountain--calling it a "gay agenda movie" on his Fox News TV program in 2006.

Listen to Clip:
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

Gibson’s Past Comments on Brokeback Mountain:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180499,00.html

TAKE ACTION NOW!
GLAAD strongly urges you to contact Fox News and ask its representatives why they continue to provide a platform for John Gibson’s cruel and tasteless comments.

Please contact:

Mr. Mitch Davis
Vice President
Fox News Radio Network
1211 Avenue Of The Americas
18th Floor
New York, NY 10036-8701
Direct Phone:  *212-301-5800
Outlet Fax:  *212-301-5455
Outlet Phone:  212-301-3000
Email: [email protected]

Mr. Robert Finnerty
Senior Vice President
Fox News Radio Network
18th Floor
New York, NY 10036-8701
Direct Phone:  *212-301-5800
Outlet Fax:  *212-301-5455
Outlet Phone:  212-301-3000

Ms. Irena Briganti
Vice President of Public Relations
FOX News Channel
New York, NY 10036
Direct Phone :  *212-301-3608
Outlet Fax :  *212-382-1411
Outlet Phone :  212-301-3000
Contact by: E-mail

Ms. Suzanne Scott
Vice President, Programming
FOX News Channel
New York, NY 10036
Direct Phone :  *212-301-8558
Outlet Fax :  *212-382-1411
Outlet Phone :  212-301-3000

[email protected]
[email protected]

JOHN GIBSON
[email protected]
212-301-3000

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
From New York Magazine:

"In Other News"
1/24 | 4:45 PM

Will Fox’s John Gibson Apologize for His Insensitive Remarks?

The blogosphere has been churning all day over Fox host John Gibson's comments on his radio show yesterday about the death of Heath Ledger.

To recap: Gibson played the "I can't quit you" clip from Brokeback Mountain; said, "Well, I guess he found a way to quit you," to much laughter in the studio; then followed up with a barrage of the sort of tasteless banter we have come to expect from these shows.

"I don't know why a 28-year-old guy is thinking about death," Gibson said disparagingly, referring to a quote from an interview Ledger gave in 2007 in which he said his daughter caused him to "look at death differently."

"Maybe he was a deep thinker," a female co-host chimed in. "Maybe he was a weirdo," Gibson said.

He laughed, then played another clip from Brokeback, in which Ledger's character says, "We're dead," several times.

The clip made its way to Gawker, Newshounds, and other blogs, who dug up clips of Gibson's remarks about Brokeback Mountain ("I just think most people do not want to go into a darkened room with a tub of popcorn and munch away watching two guys get it on," among others), and now GLAAD is leading a protest against Gibson and Fox.

The Intelligencer (New York Magazine) hears that Gibson will address his remarks on his television show, The Big Story, at 5 p.m. Watch this space for updates.

UPDATE, 6 p.m.:

Indeed, Gibson closed out The Big Story tonight by reading an apology:

"I have received many complaints regarding my comments on my radio show about the death of Heath Ledger," he said. "I'm sorry that some took my comments as anti-gay and insensitive. I am aware that Ledger has a family, and I am sorry if I offended them and those who knew him, but most of all I am sorry for the loss of a young man I understand was a fine actor and human being. Once again, to those offended by my comments, I'm sorry."

Will this be enough to keep the wolves at bay?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:46:42 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Yup... he's back for another day of garbage spew....

Direct Link to GLAAD petition to get Fox News to take some action.

On MSNBC’s Morning Joe this morning, host Joe Scarborough described the homophobic undertones of Gibson’s “little Brokeback Mountain joke,” calling it “mean-spirited and hateful” that “if you make a movie about being gay, your death becomes a punchline.”

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
Dan Abrams:

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

moremojo

"....we're going to call you out on it"....that's great to hear, and I commend Mr. Abrams for his integrity and commitment to ethical behavior.

Did Gibson and company not get the word that homophobia is now considered in poor taste? They need to catch up, and soon...it's only the twenty-first century, after all.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Phillip, I just tried emailing Keith again to thank him for what he did on his show last night. When I send off the email, it comes back to me with an error notification. The strange thing is, the email address I'm typing is "[email protected] but in the error notification it says "[email protected]"! Why is it saying this? I didn't type nbcuni.com! It didn't do this last night when we sent our emails to Keith. Is anyone else having this problem?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Dagi

I was able to send a note, and so far I haven't got an error notification.

Dagi

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I just got the same error message.  :(  With the exact same change in the email address.

I tried resending it again anyway.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

I cant seem to get mine to go thru either.  mayde his box is full

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
I've tried FOUR times Wishes, and it keeps returning it to me.

It didn't do this last night when we sent those emails notifying Keith about John Gibson's radio show. I know mine went through anyway, but for some reason it's not working tonight. And the last time I tried it, I hand typed the email address. The first three I was clicking on Phillip's link. I don't understand it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.