Author Topic: Day Three - It All Blows Up in John Gibson's Face + New Video!  (Read 31734 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Day Three - It All Blows Up in John Gibson's Face + New Video!
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 01:48:30 am »
Here is video of Gibson's apology.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 01:50:26 am »
BTW, this is a HUGE story online and on blogs.  In fact, check out www.mediamatters.org tonight, where Gibson has completely taken over their headline section.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 01:51:05 am »
as a tribute to Heath, couldn't we get this guy fired?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 01:53:06 am »
as a tribute to Heath, couldn't we get this guy fired?

It will never happen.  He works for Fox News, and the usual hate-filled fans of his program don't know what all the fuss is about, and as part of a Murdoch operation, integrity and balance never matters.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 02:06:26 am »
Here is video of Gibson's apology.

I didn't watch the whole thing but you can see his eyes moving around as he reads the damn teleprompter.  Someone probably wrote that "apology" note and handed it to him 5 minutes before that.   I know where he can put his apology.  Don't you?  :)

"And, to those that thought they were funny, I am not sorry...*wink*"

>:( >:(

but hey, he got what he wanted...publicity...

loathe these people...

I know what you mean.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 02:57:02 am »
If one had only read the statement, it would still seem half-hearted, semi-apology at best. But to actually hear the words, to see Gibson's face? More mockery! It is the insult after the injury. Ugh!

I know I am naive, but now, given the media reaction (BRILLIANT for Olbermann! FANTASTIC for Abrams! Even GOOD for Scarborough!) I actually begin to think Gibson may yet have reason to fear his job. He is sufficiently vile AND sufficiently "small potatoes" to be a perfect scapegoat--and I'm sufficiently angry and sufficiently petty to hope that he could be fired. Gibson is no Imu$--we wouldn't see him back after a short interval in another lucrative venue, he just doesn't rate.

Oh, I wish someone would whisper something to Murdoch (who once *was* an Australian, after all) and send a thunderbolt--hah! Actually a rolled-up "News Corp" newspaper should do the trick--Splat!

You all did such a wonderful job with MSNBC--maybe you can beard Murdoch in his den???
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Nevermore

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 06:52:50 am »
I carpool once a week with a guy who listens to talk radio, and I fully expected to hear him rush to Gibson's defense, claim political correctness gone beserk, blah blah, but when the apology was being replayed and analyzed by the commentator--can't really remember who, they all kind of morph together for me--his only reaction was, "well, that wasn't even funny."
Not much sympathy for Gibson even from his own kindred spirits, and this is the opinion of a guy whose head spins around every time he hears the words "Hillary" and "Clinton." I'm not up on who's who in the world of talk radio but Gibson just strikes me as a third-rate Limbaugh wannabe.
One thing has struck me though--do you remember when Brokeback Mountain first came out, the reaction of a certain class of (usually male) media types, not necessarily Fox minions, who could not get through a single broadcast without at least one, though rarely just one, obligatory Brokeback reference? Of course, it was a cultural moment, but this went beyond that, after the film left theaters and the buzz died down, they were still keeping the flame alive, so to speak.
A friend of mine, partnered with a man but once married to a woman, said once his ex-wife suspected there was something going on between them when he came down with mention-itis, e.g., just could not restrain himself from bringing up the name of the man he fancied, all the time.  That's what guys like David Letterman made me think of--it's as if they had a unique form of Tourette's that compelled them to say "Brokeback" all the time, introducing it into contexts that had nothing to do with homosexuality, movies, masculinity, et al.
Now with the sad passing of Heath Ledger all over the news, two years since Brokeback was released, Ledger having completed several films since, including I'm Not There which is still in theaters, and Batman, which is likely to be a huge summer blockbuster even if this had never happened, but what do the commentators choose to reference? Am I the only one that gets an odd sense of...something... here?  Like relief at being able to scratch that itch, to be able to quote "I wish I knew how to quit you" again, without getting odd looks as if the speaker just broke into the Macarena (while saying "Show me the money!")??
And such familiarity with the dialogue, too!  I don't believe that "Since we're going to be working together, we might as well start drinking together" actually made the final cut, it was only in the theatrical trailer, and yet Gibson (or one of his faithful tweenies) had it all warmed up and ready to go. Such thoroughness!
Not that there's anything, you know, wrong with any of this. I'm not implying anything, just making a little observation.

mvansand76

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 09:56:37 am »
 I know where he can put his apology.  Don't you?  :)

To quote Chevy Chase in "Christmas Vacation" when asked "Where are you gonna put a tree that big?": "Bend over and I'll show you..."

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 10:19:48 am »
Am I the only one that gets an odd sense of...something... here?  Like relief at being able to scratch that itch, to be able to quote "I wish I knew how to quit you" again, without getting odd looks as if the speaker just broke into the Macarena (while saying "Show me the money!")??
And such familiarity with the dialogue, too!  I don't believe that "Since we're going to be working together, we might as well start drinking together" actually made the final cut, it was only in the theatrical trailer, and yet Gibson (or one of his faithful tweenies) had it all warmed up and ready to go. Such thoroughness!
Not that there's anything, you know, wrong with any of this. I'm not implying anything, just making a little observation.

Brilliant observations, and you're exactly right, it actually feels good to hear the familiarity of the dialogue, and actually talk about Brokeback in public a little. I hope the presented BBM clips on the news propel others to see the movie who have held out thus far. What saddens me is Gibson's melange of Brokeback soundbytes, that he probably never even saw the movie! Of course, everything he's said about Heath and BBM has been out of pure ignorance. Unfortunately, stupidity isn't against the law.

Cheers,

Chris.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 10:53:22 am »
Sounds as if he may have sobered up a bit.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."