Author Topic: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today  (Read 235546 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »

John and Meryl, thank you once more.

You're right John. I thought the very same. Just seeing the building is still sad. :(

The person behind you also wears stripes. Somehow fitting for the photo ;D. And someone else in one of the pics has a hooded sweater with white and dark blue stripes. I also have one: hoodie, stripes, colors - all the same :).

I like all the paintings, especially the one to the right in this pic:

The person pictured seems gentle and he has warm, kind eyes.

I think Heath would have approved of the location. It's cool.

First--what Monika said!

what a great observation, Chrissie. You really have an eye for details.

And I never noticed! Sometimes looking through a camera (or your iPhone) makes you miss things--until you see it afterwards (with the help of smart friends)!

In re everything else, I so agree, Chrissi, on all counts!

Giovanni Bucci, 44" x 30", pastels acrylic,
paper on wood panel, © Nikki Schiro 2007
Collection of Vincent Boitier

More interesting info:

The (co-)Owner of L'Orange Bleue:

Vincent Boitier (da vince),
paper on wood panel, © Nikki Schiro 2007
Collection of Vincent Boitier

"We cook and serve home food, not expensive food that we grew-up on, our Grandma's and Uncle's cooking, simple foods that we all can identifty too, some dishes come from the Basque Country, others from Provence and the cosmopolitan city of Marseille my hometown. More food and energy comes from the border countries of the Mediterranean Sea like Italy, Spain, Corsica, Lebanon, and of course Africa where our outer-mediterranean euphoric-antistress comes from and fulfills the Wizard of L'Orange Bleue ." -Vincent Boitier, Co-Owner

"It's simple food you love, food you can count on, and food to relax too." -New York Times

Zaggat Guide Reviews It: New York's cutest waiters - L'orange Bleue is as wacky as it's given name - There's noting Blue about this place except it's outdoor painted terrace in the spring-summer season.

Last minute birthday parties!

Happy Hour 2-for-1 Oysters 5-7p!

Great reviews!
http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7113276/new_york_ny/l_orange_bleue.html#profileTab-reviews

and:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/lorange-bleue/

Ok, no, L'Orange Bleue is not one of NewYork Mag's
'123 Best Great Things about New York', but it does have a
Critic's Pick--see?:

Critics' Pick

L’Orange Bleue offers a cheery balance of tempered exoticism, local Eurocharm, and American thrift. The menu echoes this accord: a slightly raunchy puttanesca, mussels in a pungent bath of fennel and curry, a meaty lamb tagine, and tender codfish with tomato and basil. And if the world-beat music is geared more toward the Helmut Lang’d young’uns at the bar, you will endure. Remember, you didn’t have to get any shots. — Rob Patronite and Robin Raisfeld

Brunch
Sat.—Sun., 11 a.m.—4 p.m.; $12.95 prix-fixe

Drum Night
Mon., 8:30 p.m.—midnight; three-course dinner, $35; belly dancing and live music at 9 p.m. and again at 10:15 p.m. Belly dancing also occurs on Friday and Saturday nights from 9 p.m.—10 p.m.

Happy Hour
Daily, 4 p.m.—7 p.m.; $1 oysters

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 11:24:25 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »
Thanks John!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:43 pm »
Not only that, she seems to have a striped TAIL!! Altho maybe it's a muffler...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2009, 01:22:53 pm »

Thanks John!

Thank you, Kelda!

Not only that, she seems to have a striped TAIL!! Altho maybe it's a muffler...

Unless she's wearing a Comme des Garcons hoodie, in which she may has a third  sleeve, just for show!

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »
How interesting, all that background info on the paintings!  Thanks for posting more, John.  :-*

It's so great to be able to make these little pilgrimages to Heath's haunts.  I'm glad everyone is able to enjoy them with John and me, thanks to John's magic, magnifique I-Phone and his inimitable eye for a great shot.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2009, 03:33:57 pm »

How interesting, all that background info on the paintings!  Thanks for posting more, John.  :-*

It's so great to be able to make these little pilgrimages to Heath's haunts.  I'm glad everyone is able to enjoy them with John and me, thanks to John's magic, magnifique I-Phone and his inimitable eye for a great shot.  8)

Or Meryl saying, Oh, let's ask the waiter if there's some info about the artist (no information was posted AT ALL) as we were wondering it was a permanent installation (me) or temporary (Meryl)--and, it turned out we were both right--except we wouldn't have known it other for Ms. Meryl--

Or Meryl saying, Oh, the drum posters are really interesting, and I say, Yes, it is, and Meryl says, Oh, did you take a picture? Duh.

Oh, yeah, my 'magic', huhn!  ::)

We have a lot of fun, though!  ;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2009, 05:11:06 pm »

Or Meryl saying, Oh, let's ask the waiter if there's some info about the artist (no information was posted AT ALL) as we were wondering it was a permanent installation (me) or temporary (Meryl)--and, it turned out we were both right--except we wouldn't have known it other for Ms. Meryl--

Or Meryl saying, Oh, the drum posters are really interesting, and I say, Yes, it is, and Meryl says, Oh, did you take a picture? Duh.

Oh, yeah, my 'magic', huhn!  ::)

We have a lot of fun, though!  ;D

I guess some teams were made in Heaven.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

retropian

« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »
I love all of your pic's of NYC. As you know, one of my favorite places in the world. Not that I've seen the world in its entirety, but NYC is the place I'm drawn to. The pic's of your visits to and around Broome St. are extra special though. I I ever win the lottery, I'm moving to Manhattan. ;D

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:39 pm »
Thankyou so much for giving us a little slice of the immediate ambience of Heath's
neighbourhood. I loved seeing it all and as so many others have siad, it almost seems like I have been there myself. I just wish it still did not hurt so much.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »

I guess some teams were made in Heaven.  ;D

Thanks, Partner!   ;)

I love all of your pic's of NYC. As you know, one of my favorite places in the world. Not that I've seen the world in its entirety, but NYC is the place I'm drawn to. The pic's of your visits to and around Broome St. are extra special though. I I ever win the lottery, I'm moving to Manhattan. ;D

Thank you for the kind words re the photos! We love wandering around and experiencing and documenting. In re Manhattan, I am very blessed--I love my hometown, and yes, in that  regard, I sometimes feel as though I won an unearned lottery.

Thankyou so much for giving us a little slice of the immediate ambience of Heath's
neighbourhood. I loved seeing it all and as so many others have said, it almost seems like I have been there myself. I just wish it still did not hurt so much.

Thank you again. I'm glad people like seeing where Heath lived, for a sort time, and what he really seemed to like. I'm glad that Meryl and I finally decided to go to have a Heath Day lunch at L'Orange Bleue, just across the street from 421 Broome. I was also glad to learn about the Nikki Schiro 'drummer' paintings there, and that they were installed in early December 2007, a few months after Heath moved to Broome Street, and more than a month before died. I like to think he might have noticed them and liked them.

Here's another thing people might find very interesting--

One of the (infamous) places that Heath frequented (even in his last week) was the Beatrice Inn, owned by Paul Sevigny, Chloë's brother--

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/beatrice-inn/

The Beatrice Inn
Critics' Pick
285 W. 12th St., New York, NY 10014
nr. W. 4th St.
212-243-4626

--which is less than a bar than a private club--I've certainly never been there. Well, now we can get a very interesting peek at the interior, thanks to this YouTube video immediately below. It was created and posted by the (somewhat eccentric) singer Rory Guinness (of the band I-Lash) singing his song 'Are You the Guy with the Sports Car,' while entering the downstairs level of the club, being greeted by the usual demi-monde habitués (Rory and his sister, Rebecca, are definitely in the club, as is Josh Hartnett), walking upstairs, all around, then going back downstairs all the way back to the entry. If a picture is better than a thousand words, than moving pictures, carefully choreographed and styled clubber-kids and music will definitely tell you everything you wanted to know about Heath's Manhattan world. I even like the music! Take a look:

The Interiors (and Denizens) of the Beatrice Inn   (3:23)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBeq8hJDvt4&eurl[/youtube]
Posted to YouTube:
December 15, 2008
"Are you the guy with the Sports Car???"

www.myspace.com/roryguinness

roryguinness
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:53:29 am by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"