Author Topic: Information at the speed of light  (Read 2999 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Information at the speed of light
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:48:20 am »
Digital Age of Media, information at the speed of light.  It's a brave new world with no class or grace and  truth is sacrificed in the name being the first to tell the tale....

from World Entertainment News Network

Editor & Publisher commented today (Wednesday), "If you watched the story of Heath Ledger's death explode chaotically across the Internet, with facts, errors, inconsistencies and confusions flying every which way, you may have concluded that in the new digital media's race to break stories in minutes, accuracy has been left in the dust." It warned that while in the past, journalists had hours to vet and craft a story, reporting now often "unfolds in real time."
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Information at the speed of light
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:30 am »
Digital Age of Media, information at the speed of light.  It's a brave new world with no class or grace and  truth is sacrificed in the name being the first to tell the tale....

from World Entertainment News Network

Editor & Publisher commented today (Wednesday), "If you watched the story of Heath Ledger's death explode chaotically across the Internet, with facts, errors, inconsistencies and confusions flying every which way, you may have concluded that in the new digital media's race to break stories in minutes, accuracy has been left in the dust." It warned that while in the past, journalists had hours to vet and craft a story, reporting now often "unfolds in real time."

I'm really glad that Editor & Publisher is trying to hold a line on professional standards.  Good for them. 

I was shocked at some of the garble I've seen and heard about this.  The New York Times!! got his birthdate wrong yesterday.  What's up with that?  Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but the "paper of record" shouldn't be putting out shoddy half-assed blather just to get it out there fast.  (Though they did print A.O. Scott's sublime article on Heath this morning which is one of the best BBM-related articles ever.)