Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188414 times)

mvansand76

Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2008, 06:21:54 am »

Not to mention you have been contributing - I really appreciate your posts.  Where you been all our lives, hunh?

You took the words right out of my mouth.... :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:23 am »
I expect soon we'll hear from Peachy about whether the family is accepting flowers for the funeral.  If so, then she'll send a bouquet and let us know how it went.  If she can't send the bouquet, then we can send all the remaining money to a cause that Heath supported.  I'm still hoping maybe the family will mention some specific charities where donations will be welcomed.  We'll see.

I hope they do too, because it would be current and timely. But I did find the information, which I posted on the thread I started, about the three charities he did support. It seems his interests revolved around children and AIDS.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 06, 2008, 08:16:23 am »

Now that Heath's immediate family plus Michelle and Matilda have arrived in Perth, it would appear (from two media reports I've read in the past 24 hours) that the funeral is likely to be held at Karrakatta Cemetery next Saturday (Friday US time).

Though I respect the family's privacy, I still feel the need to pay my personal respects and would like to send a floral tribute to the funeral.

I plan to phone Interflora tomorrow on their freecall number (inside Aust only) 1800808500 (85171500 outside Aust) and asking if I can send flowers to Heath's funeral at Karrakatta Cemetery next Saturday. Fingers crossed, I hope they will accept my order, even though I will not be able to quote an exact time.

FYI, the website for Interflora is www.interflora.com.au where you can place an order on-line from anywhere on earth. They have a lovely "Sympathy" selection. You'll be able to get a very nice arrangement delivered for approx AUST$120 (includes delivery cost) = approx US$100. Some arrangements are priced less than that.

The delivery address is:
Karrakatta Cemetery
Railway Road
Karrakatta
Western Australia

If Interflora accept my order, I will be asking them to attach a card with a personal message from me, the wording of which I will write myself. I will include my name and address in the card.

I'll keep you up-to-date on the process (i.e., whether or not Interflora will accept my order) as soon as I know more myself. It's about 11pm on Wed night here in Sydney right now and I will be phoning Interflora on Thursday morning local time, in 10-12 hours from now.

If the family makes an announcement in the next couple of days that they want no flowers at the funeral, it goes without saying that I will respect their wishes and send none.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2008, 09:58:18 am »

Not to mention you have been contributing - I really appreciate your posts.  Where you been all our lives, hunh?

Gosh, you guys...  ::)

:-*

And Kerry, just reading your last post makes this whole thing even more real.  :'(

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:33 am »
(((((Verona)))))

Kerry, thanks so much, bud, for all your research.  I've sent Peachy an email.  We should know soon.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #375 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:03 pm »
I have successfully placed an order for flowers to be delivered to Karrakatta Cemetery next Saturday.

I did so by phoning the Interflora freecall number 1800808500 (inside Australia only). The operator I spoke to was very kind and professional.

To place an order outside Australia, you can either phone Interflora direct on 61385171500 (you should quote your country’s Australia code at the beginning of that number) or by going to Interflora’s website at www.interflora.com.au

Interflora will take your order from anywhere in the world. Payment via your charge card.

If you are placing your order over the phone, I would suggest that you visit the Interflora site beforehand, so that you can quote what arrangement you want delivered. Go to the Sympathy section (listed across the top of the homepage). Rest your mouse pointer on the arrangement you like and a reference number will appear, along with that particular arrangement’s name.

The funeral is to be held on Saturday 9 February 2008

The address for delivery is:

Funeral of the Late Heath Ledger
Karrakatta Cemetery
Railway Road
Karrakatta
Western Australia 6010
Australia

Karrakatta Cemetery is administered by the Metropolitan Cemeteries Board (phone 61893835200). The operator taking your order will ask for these details so they can liaise on your behalf, to find out the exact time of the funeral.

The way Interflora works is that they liaise with florists in the vicinity of the funeral who have arrangements with Interflora, who deliver your floral tribute on your behalf. They have local knowledge, ear to the ground, and will make delivery at the appointed time. If  necessary, they will phone the cemetery for particulars. The operator I spoke to said they are anticipating many floral tributes to be delivered.

I advised the operator that I wanted to enclose a card with a personal message, the wording of which he assisted me with (at this point of time on the phone, I’m afraid I became somewhat emotional – the operator was very compassionate and understanding). My card was address to “Mr Kim Ledger & Family” and included my name and home address. I did this because it is the usual practice in Australia for the family of the deceased to send thank you cards/notes to people who send flowers.

The operator asked me for my contact phone number (I gave my mobile number), so that he could phone me if there was any problem with the delivery.

I can’t speak too highly of the chap I spoke to at Interflora. He was a consummate professional and so compassionate in his manner. I advised him that I knew of many people who will be wanting to send floral tributes from around the world and he advised me that orders could be placed either via the internet or at their 61385171500 number. He recommended the latter, for personal service. Phone orders can be made between the hours of 8am to 9pm every day, Australian time. On-line orders can be made any time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #376 on: February 06, 2008, 07:30:37 pm »
Kerry,

I know how important this is to you, so I am happy to hear that you were able to make your arrangements for the floral delivery. 

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #377 on: February 06, 2008, 08:17:35 pm »
Funeral of the Late Heath Ledger

Oh God. :'(

I know they're just words and I'm being a big stupid baby. But these words are just wrong on so many levels.

Offline Peachy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #378 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »
Well done Kerry - at last some concrete info.   So Meryl and friends, would you like to order things yourselves through Interflora?  Have me do so?  Take a floral arrangement up myself?  Am at your service. :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2008, 08:52:44 pm »
Well done Kerry - at last some concrete info.   So Meryl and friends, would you like to order things yourselves through Interflora?  Have me do so?  Take a floral arrangement up myself?  Am at your service. :)

Peachy, I say go ahead on your end and have it delivered.  Use your judgment about a nice arrangement, not too extravagant, but tastefull.  The card could read "With heartfelt condolences from the men and women of BetterMost.net."  You can include my name and address as a contact in case they want to acknowledge.

Of course, anyone who wishes to send flowers on their own should go ahead and do so, following Kerry's lead.

As for driving up to Karrakatta yourself, since I understand it's a 3-hour drive, that would be entirely up to you.  But I will say that if you want to do it at some future point and take some photos of the gravesite, we would be very grateful for that.  You are a real heroine to us, Peachy!  :-*  :-*  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...